What a battler !!

Home Forums Video Archive What a battler !!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GoldikovaGoldikova
    • Total Posts 1541

I’d never saw a replay of this before. Dessie in the 89 Gold Cup.

<!– m –>http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GcCuIVn6egM<!– m –>

GeraldGerald
    • Total Posts 4301

The self-same Peter O’Sullevan I’ve just mentioned in the National remembrance thread.

He was already beginning to lose it, wasn’t he? He didn’t mention the horse Ten Plus brought down.

GeraldGerald
    • Total Posts 4301

If you haven’t seen that one, you probably hadn’t seen Dawn Run 1986 either. Available on the same YouTube site.

GoldikovaGoldikova
    • Total Posts 1541

Haven’t saw that either Gerald. There’s a hell of alot of classic stuff on that site. Dessie, Arkle and Shergar to name but a few. It’s tougher getting races from last year that it is from 20 years ago on there.

Ten PlusTen Plus
    • Total Posts 813

I can’t believe that this was virtually TWENTY years ago – I remember it well. Poor Ten Plus broke a fetlock when falling 3 out that day – although I was cheering Dessie on I was desperately looking for reassurance that TP was OK – he can be seen in the background seemingly galloping on OK but sadly he wasn’t … he was one of my favourites – hence my name on this forum. I still HATE that fence …

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7732

Fulke Walwyn had been my favourite trainer in my younger years, probably because of Mill House and Team Spirit; it was so sad for him that day…I’d only just got back into racing because of Dessie and I’d picked the kids up from school and hurried home to see the race..I joined Dessies fan club after that and went to see him every year at Ab Kettleby.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2931

I much preferred a gracious Dessie beating Panto Prince and flying round Ascot and Kempton at a million miles per hour than watching him struggle up the Cheltenham Hill to beat Yahoo…great achievement all the same.

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 532

That was actually one of the all time great commentaries Gerald.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 760

I was there that day and had backed Yahoo, win only, at 33/1 in the morning.
    I’d only ever backed Desert Orchid once and that was in his second attempt at the King George when he’d gone off odds-on – I had 7/4 antepost – only for Colin Brown to set off far too fast and burn him out. I’d unsuccessfully opposed Desert Orchid so many times since and this was to be the day when my ship finally came in. I still find watching the last 150 yards painful after all this time. I know we’re meant to say that the money doesn’t matter at times like that and we should rejoice in seeing a great performance by the winner but I didn’t think that then and I still don’t.

GeraldGerald
    • Total Posts 4301

That was actually one of the all time great commentaries Gerald.

I know, but my comment earlier, about not mentioning the brought down horse (Ballyhane) was true.

Also, when he’s saying things such as Dessie’s beginning to get up (don’t know whether he actually said that, can’t be bothered to check) or Dessie’s done it, then he’s lost his impartiality or professionalism.

Peter O’Sullevan was a great professional. You would never know he owned Be Friendly or Attivo (lucky sod) when he was commentating on them, except we all already knew.

It is just that in the last few years when he was commentating, often something would happen, and he wouldn’t mention it.

I suppose he kept on doing the job to stop Julian Wilson taking over.

GoldikovaGoldikova
    • Total Posts 1541

I was there that day and had backed Yahoo, win only, at 33/1 in the morning.
    I know we’re meant to say that the money doesn’t matter at times like that and we should rejoice in seeing a great performance by the winner but I didn’t think that then and I still don’t.

Sometimes you’re best to just watch a race without having a bet. In a strange sense betting can ruin a race.

Happy JackHappy Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 516

I suppose he kept on doing the job to stop Julian Wilson taking over.

And for that reason alone we should applaud his decision to carry on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.