The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wetherby 15.10.2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Wetherby 15.10.2014

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

There was something seriously wrong yesterday at <b>Wetherby</b>, 3 track records on official going description given out as Good.

I spent 20 minutes building up the going allowance and ended up with a going allowance of <b>+0.76s/f</b> (Firmx), I then knew that the advertised distances had to be a minimum of <b>0.5 furlongs</b> out, there is no such thing as +0.76s/f (firmx) going at this time of the year over the jumps.

I knew I was on the right track when 5 minutes later I received an email from Dave Edwards commenting along the same lines, he is going to look into it.

Whatever they have done to the course layout at Wetherby, brings it into line with <b>Tramore</b> (Ire) where you take the advertised distances with a big pinch of salt.

Mike.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

Pretty sure that this would be due to the hurdlers using the inner line on the bends. If you watch a replay you can see that when they turn for home, the jockeys have to steer across to the outside of the track to get to the third last hurdle. Previously they had to go round a marker near the two mile start which meant they came much wider round the bend and then ran straight to the third last.

At a guess, the layout has been changed to remove the risk of jockeys taking the wrong line – you may recall an incident involving Geraghty going the wrong side of that marker post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

Pretty sure that this would be due to the hurdlers using the inner line on the bends. If you watch a replay you can see that when they turn for home, the jockeys have to steer across to the outside of the track to get to the third last hurdle. Previously they had to go round a marker near the two mile start which meant they came much wider round the bend and then ran straight to the third last.

At a guess, the layout has been changed to remove the risk of jockeys taking the wrong line – you may recall an incident involving Geraghty going the wrong side of that marker post.

Thanks for that, you have confined what my figures have told me, the layout of the course had been changed.

Mike.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Thought this post would be about the 4 runner 3 mile chase which had 3 non-runners and no-one bats an eyelid. Doesn’t anyone think this is suspicious or at least curious or we all so blind to NR’s nowadays?

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

I also thought that this post would have been about the walkover. I believe that 2 of the non-runners were because of the going, which was Good. What do trainers want nowadays? To use "going" as a reason for not running has become too easy.

Slowhand
    Participant
    • Total Posts 120

All National Hunt times are faster at every course now since they started timing from when the first horse passes the tape. The old standard times all need adjusting to make track speed measurements accurate. If you use old standard times I would estimate they are will make the ground appear a full description faster. ie G/S will now look like Good.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

There was something seriously wrong yesterday at

Wetherby

, 3 track records on official going description given out as Good.

I spent 20 minutes building up the going allowance and ended up with a going allowance of

+0.76s/f

(Firmx), I then knew that the advertised distances had to be a minimum of

0.5 furlongs

out, there is no such thing as +0.76s/f (firmx) going at this time of the year over the jumps.

I knew I was on the right track when 5 minutes later I received an email from Dave Edwards commenting along the same lines, he is going to look into it.

Whatever they have done to the course layout at Wetherby, brings it into line with

Tramore

(Ire) where you take the advertised distances with a big pinch of salt.

Mike.

It looks like Simon agrees with me 8)

https://www.timeform.com/Racing/Article … t_Wetherby

Participant
    • Total Posts 33001

I seldom bet at Haydock because I can not trust the Clerk Of The Course and now Wetherby is added to the list. They’ve got absolute contempt for the punter and connections. Hope they’re rewarded by even fewer runners. Races which are not run over the correct (advertised) distance should be declared void. What’s the point of studying a race and allowing for the race distance, only for it to be two furlongs shorter? If I’d had a bet in the Charlie Hall (or any race at Wetherby) I’d want my money back!!!! :evil:

Value Is Everything
    quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

Can someone tell Ascot Racecourse that the Chase circuit is 12 Furlongs. So, the 2 Mile 1 Furlong Chase start should be at the 5 Furlong pole – not between the 3 and 4 Furlong pole !

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live.sd? … category=0

My statement:

I then knew that the advertised distances had to be a minimum of 0.5 furlongs out

What they found:

The 1m5f bumper course will now become 1m4½f, the 2m4f hurdle course will change to 2m 4½f, the 3m 4½f chase course becomes 3m4f and the 4m1f chase course is now 4m½f.

All I can say to the

Wetherby

is, my maths is better than your tape measure 8)

quadrilla
    • Total Posts 468

"The BHA says a project is underway to roll out a revised method of measuring course distances on jump tracks to bring it into line with protocol for the Flat, whereby measurements are taken six feet from the inside rail and all starts are professionally surveyed to the nearest yard."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

Just in case anybody is remotely interested, here is an Excel file with every winning time for

Wetherby

from 2010 to 2014.

https://web.cloud.virginmedia.com/?shar … acec8da744

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

As they say in Yorkshire "It’ll be reet" :D They probably used the same method as me as a kid when measuring out a cricket pitch length. 22 long strides :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Christ, they’d have landed the Philae probe somewhere around Newport Pagnell.

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Kudos to TBB for calling this spot-on from the start.

It would be relatively cheap to embed a GPS chip in each jock’s helmet, from which we could get a variety of measurements on every course, and, perhaps, an acceptable sectional timing system

Participant
    • Total Posts 33001

Hmmm, a bit convenient to be just half a furlong out; half furlong being the exact official difference courses are allowed. Seemed to me times suggested they were more than half a furlong out.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33001

Kudos to TBB for calling this spot-on from the start.

It would be relatively cheap to embed a GPS chip in each jock’s helmet, from which we could get a variety of measurements on every course, and, perhaps, an acceptable sectional timing system

Any TRFers in to running/jogging?
    Has anyone in the Yorkshire area got a Garmin Forerunner Watch?

If so, go to Wetherby and run the course, taking the distance, undulations etc.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.