The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

We’re back racing!

Home Forums Horse Racing We’re back racing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1217

Didn’t expect that. I was expecting feb earliest and had almost written off season

Right decision too. London and se very unlikely to be more than tier 2

Going racing is what it’s largely about for me. I’m a member at sandown kempton and Newbury (all jumps) so should be fine. Expect the Lingfield plumpton and footwell circuit will be accessible too. Ascot not so much or Cheltenham of course

Wonder if they will adjust numbers for venue size down the line? 2k in plumoton is a bit different to ascot

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 295

It’s capped at the lower of 50% capacity or the 4k/2k limit. Presumably the smaller tracks have official capacities but I can’t imagine they are anything like full for midweek meetings in winter at the best of times.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3115

I’m not getting excited yet. Boris may have given the OK, but remember it was the local authority that shut down the Doncaster trial at the Leger meeting.

And if a crowd is permitted, it’ll presumably still be 100% all day mask wearing, two metre antisocial distancing, health checks at the gate, full personal details taken for test and trace, and before long, compulsory proof of vaccination.

A jobsworths paradise.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1217

Made first booking. Lingfield jumps 21st Dec. Credit to them for being quick off the mark

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5141

With the Tier 2 restrictions being capped at 2,000 spectators, demand at the bigger and weekend meetings is likely to exceed supply. So, does this mean that good ol’ market forces will be given free rein with courses slavering at the opportunity to hike ticket prices, or is there something somewhere in the small print that prohibits profiteering

Furthermore, will tickets be for sale in advance only, or can one still turn up at the turnstiles with virus-soiled banknotes

2,000 at Lingfield on a Monday in December would probably constitute a midweek record for the track, so no worries there. Enjoy it Clivexx

I think Catterick will be the only track in Yorkshire allowed spectators as the others are in Tier 3 so I might drag myself up there for the next meeting on December 15th. Their website is down at present which suggests they’re either overwhelmed with requests for tickets or, rather more likely, is a coincidence

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1217

Drone

Newbury appear to be charging £28 for a midweek Dec just grandstand. Still checking it out but booked anyway but if so, thats OtT for a middling card. Ill skip Challow

Lingfield slapped on a surcharge making it £22. Again bit much

Fontwell to eternal credit are £15 for next Tues.

Sandown not confirmed but understand its going to be reasonable. they gave credits to members too

Im not one of those smelly Wetherspoons old men moaning about price of everything but its a fair point

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1217

its only booking in advance

Cant help thinking that Ascot and Cheltenham will be appealing and possibly will get, more than 2000. the boxes alone take that many surely?

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1217

Sandown pretty impeccably managed last two days. Great to catch up with some faces too

Stewarding was weirdly very fussy in members area and much less so in public areas. They must think the members are the racing equivalent of the Chelsea headhunters

Not as many members turned up as I might have thought but given average age I suppose Covid has wiped out a lot of them

Full credit for sandown for arranging so quick. Also know from a friend that their customer service was superb

Off to fontwell tues

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

I’m off to Plumpton today. Normally, I steer clear of any race day with words like “Festive” and “Fun” in the title, but it shouldn’t be too bad with limits on the numbers attending and children still at school.

Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1320

Have a great time Gladiateur. I was considering going myself but may go next Monday instead (and definitely try to get a ticket for 3rd Jan)

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

Been a good day, thanks. :good:

No social distancing whatsoever, despite the frequent requests from Colin the MD, and a few too many lads on the lash- surprising for a wet Monday- but the course has done its best and I’ll probably be back next week.

I did have one jobsworth ask me to sit down with my beer… having walked past four lads doing exactly the same thing. Easier to pick on one person, I suppose.

broadsword
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21

I was at Plumpton today. I didn’t see any jobsworthiness – though to be fair, I didn’t go to the bar. The staff I met were welcoming and helpful, and seemed genuinely chuffed to see punters back on track.

It was dank, drizzly and cold, and I backed three seconds.

Loved every minute.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

@Broadsword (excellent horse, by the way!)

I agree that the staff were genuinely happy to see race goers back on course; most of them were brilliant today.

It’s just that this one person- who, to be fair, was only doing his job- seemed more intent on castigating an individual for not following the (absurd) rules than a group of four.

It’s not Plumpton’s fault; government guidelines are a joke. You can only take off your facemask to drink if you are seated… Fine. Find me a seat.

broadsword
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21

Absolutely right. I saw plenty of groups strolling around outside with pints in hand and not so much as a scotch egg in sight.
    As you say, solo castigation is an easier option than confronting a group.

Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1360

A rare foray to Lingfield tomorrow; yes, I’ve missed racing so much that I’m even going to an AW meeting.

Be interesting to see if their approach differs from Plumpton’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.