The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Welsh National 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Welsh National 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

The two horses i like are TEAFORTHREE.8/1 won 4miler at Cheltenham is being trained for the race will have one more run before the big race

And at a price i like LOST GLORY at 25/1 has form at Chepstow won a nice race last time as well and a big price fancy for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Does anyone know anything about Giles Cross? Has the Victor Dartnall yard got things back ticking over again?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I’m not backing TFT if it runs in the Hennessy.

• Total Posts 790

If the weights stay the same

Le Beau Bai

looks a cracking bet at 8/1,

Won the race last year off a higher weight that he has currently, has also been placed in the race previously. Gutsily won a handicap hurdle of top weight after falling on his seasonal reappearance over the bigger obstacles, so he is in good order.

Probably aimed at the race to??

The other one that interests me is

Quel Espirit

, always thought he has potential but he’s high in the weights and unless his jumping has vastly improved he will struggle, yet that little voice in the back of my mind is telling me he’ll win on the bridle!

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Anyone know if Tidal bay is likely to run in it? If so, the 28 offered on Betfair (with Ladbrokes and PP on 10s) looks good. some class horses with big weights haven’t done badly in it.

I don’t know what the Betfair price is now, as I wrote it several hours ago.

• Total Posts 15015

The front 3 in the betting look pretty solid here, but as per bloody usual, I’ve decided to look for a bigger price.

Haven’t bet Bradley
    yet, but would be foolish to ignore him in any staying chases this year. Had a long look at Quartz De Thaix
    at 23’s. Followed him quite closely coupla years ago, and thought he had plenty of potential. He’s come back from a break, looking better than ever, and showed good battling qualities to win at Haydock last time. No reason why he shouldn’t have a say in things, especially with a good break between that race, and Chepstow. I have had a go on Triggerman
    at 150’s to 170’s, and 66’s each way. That’s more out of blind loyalty than anything else. He’s a horse I really like, and think his comeback run from injury wasn’t without hope. Not convinced a slog round Chepstow will particularly suit him, but couldn’t let him go unbacked at those odds. Like Bradley, another who I think will figure prominently in the big staying chases later in the season.

Main bet (so far <!– s:roll: –>:roll:<!– s:roll: –> ) is on Royal Charm
    at 42’s to 65’s. Ultimately disappointing last season, but showed a lot more over hurdles at Chepstow last time out, albeit, that was over hurdles. Chepstows one of the few tracks where I really like them to have shown they can handle it, so that’s a plus for me. Due to run at Chepstow on Saturday, and I’ll pretty much know my fate after that race. Get the impression this has been the plan all along for him.

• Total Posts 1217

I quite like HEY BIG SPENDER for this, 20/1 seems a big price for a horse who is clearly a very promising stayer.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2273

well le beau bias out for season through hind limb injury, ive gone for teaforfree

vf

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Surely, if he runs, the 50 odd thousand is Tidal Bay’s for the taking. One Bay after another: Le Beau Bai and Tidal Bay.

Famous last words.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Surely, if he runs, the 50 odd thousand is Tidal Bay’s for the taking. One Bay after another: Le Beau Bai and Tidal Bay.

Famous last words.

He won’t run, Tidal Bay is Lexus-bound. Get on :wink:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Thanks, Boz.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1830

Living in North Bristol just 15 mins drive from Chepstow i’ll be v surprised if the race takes place at all – the rain has been heavy and almost non-stop for 24 hours and that’s on top of the rain all week.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Assuming it’s on, can someone tell me whether the next highest highest horse in the weights will go up as high as Tidal Bay was allotted? In other words 20lbs or so. Can’t remember exactly.

If so, Arbor Supreme would be just 7lbs out of the handicap; and it’s not uncommon for such horses out of the weights to win those marathons. and he would still, I believe be 15lbs below his best mark. That’s a lot of weight to be free of over that distance for a horse that has run – admittedly only once -at a very fast RP speed rating. 132-135 or some such.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Assuming it’s on, can someone tell me whether the next highest highest horse in the weights will go up as high as Tidal Bay was allotted? In other words 20lbs or so. Can’t remember exactly.

If so, Arbor Supreme would be just 7lbs out of the handicap; and it’s not uncommon for such horses out of the weights to win those marathons. and he would still, I believe be 15lbs below his best mark. That’s a lot of weight to be free of over that distance for a horse that has run – admittedly only once -at a very fast RP speed rating. 132-135 or some such.

I could imagine Cappa Bleu taking up top weight what with Hold On Julio having just run and Quartz De Thaix slogging it at Cheltenham last week. If that were the case it would be a 20lb hike like you say. Arbor Supreme hadn’t looked the same horse since joining Jonjo, until his last run which showed the old spirit was still there. If he manages to get in and Jonjo’s actually managed to get him right I think he could have a say off a nothing weight in bottomless ground, it’s just a big if for a 10 year old who’s only won once in 4 years.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

That ‘big if’ I was referring to was if Jonjo were to have him at his best. Sorry if that was unclear :roll:

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Living in North Bristol just 15 mins drive from Chepstow i’ll be v surprised if the race takes place at all – the rain has been heavy and almost non-stop for 24 hours and that’s on top of the rain all week.

Would certainly have to be of huge concern. Looking at the going reports on the RP website at the moment, Chepstow is quoted as being

HEAVY (Waterlogged)

:?

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Meeting washed out, but rescheduled for the 5th of January, providing the course dries out in time. Not hopeful though. So the BBC’s racing coverage ends with not even a whisper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.