The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Website update

Home Forums Horse Racing Website update

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

Ive just updated the for sale page on my website. I have a number of well grown store horses on my books available for sale at very reasonable prices, owners will also consider leasing.
    Take a look, pictures and other details are available upon request

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

More updates to my site if anyone wants a look. http://www.kiwibloodstock.com

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

No offence, kiwi bloodstock, but I’m struggling here to work out how any of the horses you have advertised as ‘store horses’ actually qualify as stores? Every one is bred as such that they will struggle to get any sort of trip under NH rules, being bred not at all for stamina. I wouldn’t entertain the notion of getting involved in any of them – nor marketing any of them as store horses – since they all have such a slim chance of having the stamina required for any type of NH races.

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

No offence Shadow Leader, but In NZ store horses are simply horses that have been left to mature and not neccesarily left for NH. However some of the horses dams do have form over jumps.
    I fail to see anywhere on my site where I actually reccomend these horses as potential jumpers so Im not too sure why you feel the need to insult my judgement under the No offence guise.
    Are we trying to establish the fact that you know more about national hunt racing/breeding than me? which wont be hard as I principly deal with flat horses or did you just fancy a chat?

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I was neither insulting your judgement nor trying to prove anything, kiwibloodstock, rather commenting on the small fact that you have deliberately opened a thread with the intention of trying to sell horses you have labelled as ‘stores’, a moniker which is debatable, so far as I can see.

It is surely irrelevant what the term store horse means in NZ when you are trying to sell horses as such to a predominantly British/European market, is it not? In this part of the world, a store horse is generally one which has been given time to mature and is being sold on for NH purposes. A cursory glance at the pedigrees of the horses you are trying to sell onto people reading this forum as ‘store horses’ tells me that the chances of them having sufficient stamina required to compete successfully in the NH sphere are slim indeed.

Hence I was curious really as to why you wanted to open a thread on the forum to try to get people to buy such animals as stores.

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

As interesting as your opinion is, are you trying to say "we dont call them store horses in the UK unless they are bred for jumping" or what? and if so, why didnt you just say that? I dont just sell to the UK, I have clients in NZ, Australia, Asia and America, so Im not selling predominantly to the UK market, and funnily enough, ive been involved in the industry long enough to know whether a horse could potentially run as a jumper or not.
    Your implying that im trying to mislead the users of this forum, which Im not. I have never once stated that these horses are either bred for or being sold as jumpers.
    From reading your posts, i get the impression that your involved in the industry as a professional, and quite knowledgeable. but come on, the fact that store horses are exactly what the name implies down under, and not specifically bred for jump racing isnt the real issue here. I think the real issue is that you didnt like the fact that I posted a horse for sale in the Bloodstock section.
    The best thing is, because of your objection to my site link on the forum, my website hits are going sky high, any publicity is good publicity so you have done me a huge favour. PM me your details and if I sell one of the horses ill cut you in on the commission.

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

Of the horses on that page,
    Dam Glenvally had 7 hurdle starts for 2 wins and 2 places
    Royal Comedian had 4 hurdle starts
    Good Timing out of Fort Vally ran 8 times over hurdles
    Grate Times by Timeless Times x Judys Girl ran 15 times over hurdles for 7 places
    Just Rory out of the same mare Judys Girl ran over hurdles
    Baytown Lulu out of the same mare ran over hurdles
    Belle De Montfort out of the same mare had a hurdle run
    Debandy Boy out of the same mare ran over hurdles.

Now onto the stallions
    Defacto has had 5 jump winners from 123 runners
    Presidium has had 83 jumps wins from 1265 runners
    Sugarfoot has had 1 jumps win from 26 runners

I can provide a dosage report for all horses too if you would like me to Shadow?

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

You have some nice looking horses Happy. Ill put a link to your site on my page.
    Out of interest, how many shares do you have available in each horse?

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

Kiwibloodstock, I’m not interested in splitting hairs to clarify the definition of a store horse; I was and am passing comment. In all fairness, if you are going to start a thread with the specific aim of selling these horses on to people reading the forum, you’ve got to reasonably expect that someone will probably pass comment, which is what I did.

I’m not claiming to be an expert – nor am I – but neither do I wish to see people buying horses thinking they are fit for something which they may not be.

I didn’t go into the pedigrees other than a cursory look, but as an aside I’ll tell you my initial thoughts! I wouldn’t consider touching a Sugar Foot for NH purposes – it was an ok miler by Thatching, which makes him far from an ideal NH sire in my eyes. I don’t know anything about Defacto but being a Diesis (even out of a Roberto mare) doesn’t bode especially well stamina-wise, nor does it that according to the RP he’s sired 2yo winners in the States, or even that he’s standing in the States in the first place. A Presidium might be ok with a stout damside, yet both the dams are by predominantly sprinting sires, Belfort and Jester, so they’re not especially pre-disposed to be laden with stamina either!

Please don’t take this personally, it’s something which is getting more and more widespread and so I probably have what would be seen as old-fashioned views on NH breeding (mine are all bred to stay forever and a day!) I wince every time I see the line up of a bumper or novice hurdle, it is becoming more of a fashion to run animals that are sprint bred, or bred to get around a mile or so – occasionally they’re ok and by some quirk possess more stamina than they should through their breeding, but more often than not they simply don’t stay well enough to get competitive, and this doesn’t paint a great picture for the NH sphere, I think.

At least you’re getting more hits on your site!

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Now onto the stallions
    Defacto has had 5 jump winners from 123 runners
    Presidium has had 83 jumps wins from 1265 runners
    Sugarfoot has had 1 jumps win from 26 runners

Where are these stallions standing and for how much ?

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

Presidium stands at Norton Grove Stud in Malton along with Timeless Times, Monsieur Bond and Bolin Eric. Not sure what the web address is but if you look in the links on my site there is a link to their site. Sugarfoot was at Norton Grove but they have sent him on perm loan to a small stud further up north.
    Defacto was at http://www.ranbyhall.com not sure if hes still there.
    How is your mare bred?

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

Shadow, it doesnt matter how a horse is bred if its capable of winning a race, because at the end of the day, thats the thing were all aiming for. Racing follows trends, and to stay on top of your game you have to follow these whether you like it or not. Ive ridden sprint bred horses that were no bigger than 15 hands, and could run 600m in 36 but jumped like a stag and managed to race over 2 miles through sheer guts, and ive ridden staying bred horses that were tripless because they were too weak to stay but too slow to run over 8-12f. My opinion for what its worth is that "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"
    Out of interest, how are your horses bred?

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I’m well aware of all that thanks, kiwibloodstock. However, if you are buying a horse to do a specific job then it helps to buy one that is going to have the best chance of doing that job. Ergo if you are buying a store, for example, you tend to buy one that stamina in abundance. You wouldn’t buy a horse by Oscar if you wanted a 6f sprinter, would you?

We have a Karinga Bay out of a Zambrano mare, a Karinga Bay out of an Executive Perk mare, a Double Trigger out of a Royal Vulcan mare, a Primitive Rising out of a Buckley mare, a Nomadic Way out of a Buckley mare, a Karinga Bay out of an Oats mare, an Alflora out of an Accordion mare. Stamina pretty much on both sides; the Alflora and Nomadic Way have stout dam lines since their sires wouldn’t necessarily be the most stamina imparting of NH sires.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

No.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

That personally it’s not a theory worth thinking about, in all honesty!

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I don’t know quite what you’re trying to achieve with what are, IMO, nonsensical questions.

So far as I’m concerned the theory you mentioned isn’t worth thinking about so I’m not interested in discussing it. The stamina and speed of both dam and sire has to be taken into account when looking for a horse for a specific purpose.

kiwibloodstock
    • Total Posts 54

Hi Happy,
    Sorry for the late reply, Ive been very busy lately with all the enquirys generated from this thread.
    There are so many factors to take into account when breeding a racehorse. I personally dont think The speed and stamina come from the male or the female individualy, but from all ancestors. If you duplicate horses that showed stamina then you will breed something of that type. If you duplicate speed horses then the outcome is usually a speedy horse but it also depends on what you have further back in the pedigree too, as the way the gparents, gt gparents and so on nick also has a significant effect on what is produced. Email me on nzracehorses@hotmail.com and we can talk further if you would like.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.