The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

We want eight and we won’t wait

Home Forums Horse Racing We want eight and we won’t wait

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

There was something missing from yesterday’s Derby day: an eighth meeting. Somehow seven just doesn’t cut it.

Now I know the BHA tried hard, putting on a race at Hexham at 3.40 with a racing post standard time of 5 minutes, but the Derby going off late scuppered their plans and people had time to glance at the form and runners for the big race.

Most other big meetings these days have an undercard at a gaff track where racing’s characters can clean up on a series of jockey’s races and six duck-egg improvers, why not Derby day? I’d propose a twilight Kempton card as follows:

1) Meeting to start with a five-furlong sprint that goes off after they’ve gone a furlong in the Derby. This would help liven up a dull-part of the main race if they went split screen

2) BAGS off times of 6.48, 7.32 etc. This would be especially handy for the gap between the afternoon and evening cards, which is just too big at the moment. Five minutes? No thank you, let’s put on a race between 5.45 and 5.50 at 5.48.

3) When the final race of the night comes at 9.10 and everyone up and down the land is screaming for more, you could switch on those floodlights and run another 14 runner handicap.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

Now I know the BHA tried hard, putting on a race at Hexham at 3.40 with a racing post standard time of 5 minutes, but the Derby going off late scuppered their plans and people had time to glance at the form and runners for the big race.

Ah all’s well then, a proper horse race taking precedence over a contest for immature ferrets run on a hillside!

Rob (t.i.c. before anyone says anything……)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Did you enjoy the betting and performances of Braveheart’s pair in the second at Musselburgh yesterday Glen?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Very interesting rides for sure – given the drifter was about 5 lengths clear of his winning stablemate rounding the bend after the winning post :lol:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Ah all’s well then, a proper horse race taking precedence over a contest for immature ferrets run on a hillside!

Rob (t.i.c. before anyone says anything……)

Aye, Rob, that Longdale’s one to watch. :wink:

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

if there was one thing that proves that those that try to run racing are clueless,then have seven meetings on derby day was it.
    isnt the derby a enough for people? by the time the newspapers printed the seven meetings it left precious little space to give the derby a proper build up
    i agree with john francome who said that there should be no other racing on derby day,grand national day,cheltenham festival and royal ascot.
    maybe all newspaper racing editors should get together and refuse to print all these tin pot meetings on busy days,only then will those at the helm of racing wake up

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1988

Did you enjoy the betting and performances of Braveheart’s pair in the second at Musselburgh yesterday Glen?

Enjoy the betting? I was responsible for it :wink:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.