The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

WBRC Racing Quiz winners

Home Forums Horse Racing WBRC Racing Quiz winners

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

West Berkshire Racing Club had their annual quiz last night.

Teams from Racing Post, Raceform, Richard Phillips, Freelance 4 (actually 3 this year), and West Berkshire "A" took part in the "Elite" competition. With two sections on "Yesterdays Heros", Racing Post possibly missed their elder statesman Graham Dench. Not even Racing Journalist Of The Year Lee Motershead could stop the WBRC A team of Brian Armstrong, Lester Welpdale, Maurice Stringer and Mark ("Ginge") Chapman coming out on top.

Mark Usher’s team narrowly won the multiple choice competition from Cheltenham & Gloucester Racing Club.

One question of: Who rode Mysilv to finish a close second to Cyborgo in the World Hurdle? Was easily answered by a member of Lawny Hill’s team, a certain Jimmy McCarthy! :lol:

It was great to see so many of the great, good and not so good of racing taking part.

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

P.S.
    If anyone would like to get a team of 4 together and take us on next year (or more information on doing so) please let me know and I can ask our WBRC Chairman. Am sure another team or two would be welcome. Reet, now’s your chance!

Value Is Everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Quote Kingfisher from another thread: "Just read it! You are a legend,i could rustle my troops together and march into battle next year,’Whippin’ yo Ass on the way!" :lol:

You, Reet, Hurdy and Yeats going to take us on? Be good to see you there.

I am by no means the "brains" of our outfit, certainly no "legend", particularly this year with several questions on races before I was born. First time we’ve won since 2004.

Value Is Everything
    Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

Hey Ginge !

Was Dave Yates ? – Newsboy – there ?

He was on RUK tonight and mentionned being at a quiz night and Nick Luck asked if it was the West Berkshire one

Fame !…………. :lol:

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

I saw that mention of it on RUK yesterday evening SA. Wasn’t concentrating at the time, but didn’t Dave Yeats say someone he knew was at the quiz, not him himself (I could be wrong)? Didn’t see Dave there, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t.

Value Is Everything
    KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Quote Kingfisher from another thread: "Just read it! You are a legend,i could rustle my troops together and march into battle next year,’Whippin’ yo Ass on the way!" :lol:

You, Reet, Hurdy and Yeats going to take us on? Be good to see you there.

I can just see ‘Reet’ there!
    1st Question..Who was runner-up to ‘Sea the stars’ in the 09 Derby? Reets thinkin hard!
    2nd Question..Who Won the 09 Irish Derby?
    Reets still thinkin,i know this he says,its on the tip of my tongue!
    3rd Question..Who proved his versatility by finishing 2nd to ‘Sea the Stars’ in the 09 Irish Champion stakes?
    Ffs Reet spit it out man!
    4th Question..Who went on to win the Coronation Cup as a 4yo beating the super Oaks winner Sariska?
    Reets thinkin again!
    5th Question..Who as a 5yo won the Ascot Gold Cup having ran in 11 Group 1 races?
    Reet says was it erm…er…. you know…that er…horse I always described as ‘Slow as a Boat’
    No reet its

Fame and Glory

! :lol:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Well played, sir! I worked alongside Brian last Saturday and will do so again a week tomorrow (both times at Larkhill), so I’ll be sure to congratulate him next time.

I didn’t get a formal invite this year but we would have struggled to muster a team together anyway, alas – of the quartet that took part the other year, one was on honeymoon, two were off sick and one couldn’t get down from Yorkshire. 8) Another time, though, maybe!

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29897

Well played, sir! I worked alongside Brian last Saturday and will do so again a week tomorrow (both times at Larkhill), so I’ll be sure to congratulate him next time.

I didn’t get a formal invite this year but we would have struggled to muster a team together anyway, alas – of the quartet that took part the other year, one was on honeymoon, two were off sick and one couldn’t get down from Yorkshire. 8) Another time, though, maybe!

gc

I’ll make sure you’re invited next year Jeremy. Will give Stuart Nash a reminder. You might like to give him a nudge too, as he’s another PTP enthusiast.

Brian played a blinder as per usual, we were lucky Horse And Hound commitments allowed him to take part.

You’re right, a young team would’ve struggled this year. Have Timeform Radio got anyone with knowledge of the 60’s? Different age groups is key to winning. If I remember rightly Jeremy, your team was also a little biased towards Jumping.

Would be great to see yourself, Rory and co again. Beware of bringing any cheer leaders though, as any "audience" tend to be press-ganged in to a team with a missing player these days. Having said that, not many ladies object to sitting alongside Mike Cattermole. :lol:

One of these days will have to give PTP’s a chance and go to Larkhill, as it’s very close to me.

Value Is Everything
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9002

‘Lester Welpdale’

Now THERE is a name.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.