The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Warwick racecourse – dire

Home Forums Horse Racing Warwick racecourse – dire

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 469

As an adjunct to the thread "Does racing need to up its game", goodness me Warwick racecourse put on an incompetent effort on Saturday. Given it is their big day of the year they were pretty inept at running the show when they should have been on top form

– gates opened late
    – credit card machines not working
    – big screen not working for the first two races
    – dire catering choices
    – £3 racecard with no added features or value beyond the basic runners and riders
    – adverised locally and on the website as "Newcomers day" yet I didn’t see a single initiative to attract or engage newcomers.

This is a Jockey Club racecourse but lately has been falling way below the rest of the brand and I’m sure no coincidence the crowds seem to be going down. It’s a shame, it is a pleasant venue, good viewing, decent NH cards but they need to learn how to value their customers more.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

True Aji , most racecourses are wilting due to sheer incompetence and lack of customer awareness , the sharp ones will survive and thrive

I would envisage a good few going under in the next 10 years , customers or racegoers seem to have developed a nose for bargains …and who can blame them , being ripped off and or messed about due to ancient dress codes is hardly the way forward , when going racing is still a very expensive day out

I wish they would copy the best courses and see how they do it

imo

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

aji

I presume you have written to the course to complain? If not then you should do because the only way things are likely to change is if people make a fuss.

Rob

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

aji

I presume you have written to the course to complain? If not then you should do because the only way things are likely to change is if people make a fuss.

Rob

How would you know if doing that would be effective? They may throw into the bin and forget about it, better to post on forums, newspapers etc. After all Warwicks clerk of the course is a member on here and posts occasionally.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

We were going to go on Saturday but decided the racing was so good it would be better to watch it on the telly; also the S.O. had heard that the car park was a problem when it had been raining and said, if we did go he’d have to park outside the course. I don’t think my racecourse guide gives it a good write up [2/5 I believe] but we are planning to go to there in a few weeks. I went there years ago but can’t remember much about it.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Don’t ever underestimate the power of the pen. People can ignore emails, forums etc but a letter has to be replied to.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

With this course you might get a reply sooner rather than later. As Eddie says, Warwick clerk of course Sulekha Varma is a TRFer, may be aji you should pm lekha85.

Value Is Everything
    redremi
    • Total Posts 27

I went on new yrs eve and Saturday and can confirm it’s truly awful. As well as the above I can also add
    1) you can now pay at the bottom turnstile only and the guys on the other entrance insisted we walk round the outside of the course In the pouring rain
    2) they advertised saving £10 if you booked in advance for the next two meetings and went I rang up they wanted a £2.50 booking fee

Absolutely laughable that we were on the stand with no large screen (the horses aren’t visible for large parts) yet no public announcement made.

On the quieter days they shut the bars leaving the odd one rammed

In the end I was forced to complain by email but had no response !!

I’ve been going to the classic chase meeting for a few yrs and the numbers are dwindling

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Went to Classic Chase day about 6 years ago and been put off going since by the awful car park.

You had to drive over the course and then park in a boggy area.

I seem to remember many years ago being plenty of decent parking spaces on the outside of the course near the entrance.

Viewing at the track isn’t great either on the far side and from memory admission is a bit excessive for the facilities.

no idea
    • Total Posts 684

I have to say with regards the viewing aspect that it is very good apart from the run after the hurdles/fences after the stands when they go behind a small hillock.
    Apart from that it is great. Personally I also take binoculars to watch the racing, why go and watch on a big screen. You can watch it on TV if you want, I hate the big screens, they are a blight on a racecourse landscape and at some tracks actually block the view, Stratofrd is guilt of that.
    I think all courses should up there game as in winter they are mearly all cold drab places with expensive and poor food.
    I like Warwick as a racing spectacle but have to agree that the way they treat the paying public at times can leave a lot to be desired but they are not alone.

• Total Posts 469

Viewing is quite good I think; as they appear from behind the hill going down the back straight it is a good view right around to past the finish line. Obviously you can’t see detail without binoculars but it’s a nice impression of the distances between the runners and the speed they are travelling. But the hill means the screen is essential – as I believe it is at all courses, only the enthusiasts will take binoculars and many don’t like them anyway or can’t be bothered.

Writing to the MD and the JC – will report back on the response.

By the way, not just because the Clerk is a contributor here, but have to say the ground seemed pretty good given the deluge we have had around here in the last month. Well done!

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

I haven’t been to Warwick, but the first time I went racing as an adult I was astonished how poor & expensive the catering was, especially at the jumping courses. At Aintree they even searched bags to check if anyone was taking food to eat on the course!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33004

I haven’t been to Warwick, but the first time I went racing as an adult I was astonished how poor & expensive the catering was, especially at the jumping courses. At Aintree they even searched bags to check if anyone was taking food to eat on the course!

Suspect searching bags may well be more to do with security search than food Crepello.

My advice to anyone who doesn’t want to pay high prices for food: Take sandwiches and eat in the car park. If ever late (which is quite often) smuggle them in by binocular case! "Security" don’t seem to check them. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Not just Aintree I’m afraid. What do you think poachers pockets are for :wink: They even do it at Bangor even though the course can’t even offer a grandstand to watch from.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

Wasn’t there rumours that Warwick may be ripe for closure (something about a Hotel?)

Does seem to be the runt of the JCR litter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on Warwick both positive and negative.

We are obviously getting some things right but not everything so I would be really grateful if those of you with specific issues would like to email me directly. My address is sulekha.varma’at’thejockeyclub.co.uk (obviously replacing ‘at’ with @ just to avoid spam bots!)
    I can then ensure that your complaints are passed through the official channels and that you get a response.

Best wishes,

Sulekha

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.