The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Wallander’s irascible side-kick.

Home Forums Lounge Wallander’s irascible side-kick.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

A couple of posters on another thread here were saying how much they enjoyed Wallander on TV.

Two or three weeks ago I said to my wife, that young side-kick of Wallander (Stefan) is a very uninteresting kind of character, isn’t he? No sooner had I said it, than he seemed to become hilariously irascible towards cheeky or insolently unresponsive characters they were dealing with.

"Mrs Goebbels" being the most striking example. (Well, that wasn’t meant to be a pun). But the way she head-butted that character when he opened the door to her was hilarious …. my wife is alway on about my sick sense of humour, but that was pretty comical to have sprung on you like that. And I mean just visually!

And then last week, Stephan wanted to go back and sort out the truculent photographer, but was restrained by a word from Wally. Just as well if Stephan couldn’t see that assault by him coming from a mile off in the bar, later on!

The pathologist also seems a hilarious "nut". Well, he looks kind of a bit anarchic, too.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Yes Grimes, I’ve thought the same. He’s grown on me as a character – I did like it when he turned on that photographer :D

Who plays him in the English version?

And, what is that women up to – messing about with Wallander – I don’t like her.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until tomorrow to watch tonight’s episode on the iplayer – still worth waiting for.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Opps…I mean English language version – as it was made by BBC Scotland – don’t want to upset our Scotch friends.

aaronizneez
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1747

Opps…I mean English language version – as it was made by BBC Scotland – don’t want to upset our

Scotch

[/color:2sgjjjxs]friends.

I fear you are digging yourself a deeper hole Pompete :lol:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I haven’t seen the Scottish version(!), Pompete.

But His Nibs was on cracking from tonight. When asked if he’d be part of this very risky mission, he roared, "Will I ever!"

The subtitles of the first episode I saw seemed to have been written by a Swede, or a Brit who’d lived a very long time in Sweden. There really is no such thing as a perfectly bilingual speaker. You even lose a measure of fluency living in a foreign country for any time. The subtitles are now fluent, current English.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

The UK version is made up of the following:-

"The protagonist, Kurt Wallander, is played by Kenneth Branagh. Branagh describes Wallander as "an existentialist […] who is questioning what life is about and why he does what he does every day, and for whom acts of violence never become normal. There’s a level of empathy with the victims of crime that’s almost impossible to contain, and one of the prices he pays for that sort of empathy is a personal life that’s a kind of wasteland."[1] In the novels, Wallander regularly listens to opera in his apartment and his car. This signature hobby has been dropped for this adaptation; producer Francis Hopkinson believes it would make Wallander too similar to Inspector Morse, whose love of opera is already familiar to British viewers.[2] Branagh did not watch any of the Swedish Wallander films before playing the role, preferring to bring his own interpretation of the character to the screen.[3]

Wallander’s team at the Ystad police station is made up of: Anne-Britt Hoglund (played by Sarah Smart), Svedberg (played by Tom Beard), and Martinsson (played by Tom Hiddleston). Of Wallander and Hoglund, Smart said, "Our relationship is based on this impeccable mutual respect which is all very Scandinavian and, actually, more interesting to play."[1] The team is joined at murder scenes by Nyberg (played by Richard McCabe), a forensics expert. The team is overseen by Lisa Holgersson (played by Sadie Shimmin), Ystad’s chief of police. Away from the police station, Wallander has a tempestuous relationship with his daughter Linda (played by Jeany Spark), and his father Povel (played by David Warner), who Wallander discovers in Sidetracked has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. Wallander’s father spends his days sitting in an art studio, painting the same landscape repeatedly. He is taken care of by his new wife Gertrude (played by Polly Hemingway)." (Courtersy of Wikipedia.)

I much prefer the Swedish version as "Kurt Wallander" in this is a far more controlled character: "Branagh," shouts and loses his cool a lot more in his interpretation.

Glad, to see a few of us enjoying this "BBC4" offering.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Thanks for that, Matron. Do you work for the BeeB?

It was interesting to read your comments on Wallander’s TV persona, as I noticed in this episode particularly that Krister Henriksson, who plays Wallander, has a very expressive face which manages to convey compassion in a very natural and low-key way.

In this latest episode, for those of you have seen it – if you haven’t, stop reading this – Wallander’s daughter’s post-traumatic stress syndrome, after finding the decaying bodies of the trapped, illegal immigrants, has eerie and disconcerting resonances with what was to happen to her later. I believe the young actress who plays her, Johanna Sallstrom, committed suicide after witnessing the tsunami and its aftermath, and I kept thinking about it when she and Wallander were talking about her PTS and its delayed effects.

I love the little crazy moments which make it so true to life. Wallander dopily wondering aloud to wild-eyed Stefan how the driver of the truck with the illegal immigrants (and heroin) could have got mixed up with criminals… Whereupon Stefan explodes with a blasphemy that he’s an effing criminal, himself! "He transports illegal immigrants!" Hilarious stuff. And then they immediately cut away to another scene. So there’s no signalling or next to no signalling that something’s supposed to be hilarious or shocking. We’re treated as adults.

Also, I know it’s a small town station, but it tickled me to see the PC plod chap leaning aginst the office door-post, listening to the detectives discussing the case in their desultory way. None of your pretentious Morse-like, disquisitions. Nor any of that, "Yes, guv. No guv. Three bags full, guv." rot. Doesn’t it sound weird having some poor young police-woman
    having to trot out that "guv" jargon in our police series.

It was by far the most "edge of the seat" episode for me. Definitely, heart- tabletworthy.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

Grimes,

No, I don’t work for the BBC.

It was a good episode on Monday and I agree the strongest so far in the series.

It was tragic that Johanna Sallstrom committed suicide: she always looks a sad and troubled soul in the programme to me.

Next weeks episode is the final one and I certainly will miss it: the ninety minutes passes in a flash!

Regards – Matron

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Pleasure, Matron.

I believe I read on Google last nicht that they plan to do another series or two shortly. I hope I read that right. I’ll sorely miss it, too.

Regards

Grimes

PS: Is that your helichopter!

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

Grimes,

I wish I did actually own it.

Regards – Matron

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

"No. It’s my turn to wind him, Stefan."
    Another great moment in Wally’s life and times..

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Just seen the final episode of the first series (13. The Secret) on the iplayer.

Can’t believe it :shock:

If I knew how too I’d put together all Stefan’s best bits and post them on youtube.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

Certainly, a dramatic ending to the season!

A fantastic series – I really can’t get on with the English version starring our esteemed thespian Kenneth Branagh which is shortly to hit our screens.

Regards – Matron

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Yes, it was a sad kind of ending for poor Stephan. But a great series.

But the strangest thing is, my wife has always loved the sun, and had a touch of the seasonal affective syndrome during the winter. But not me. That is, until I noticed the plain grim, functional decor in all those Swedish buildings. It made IKEA stuff look riotously colourful, sensuous, latin even! Not that the exteriors are that colourful or beautiful. I try not to notice the furniture, etc, but the more I try, the more difficult it is to avoid noticing it.

Still, they Swedes are a fine people for sure, so it just confirms that we’re all a motley crew one way or another.

What a contrast to many of the French and Swiss houses I saw from the train window many years ago on a school trip. Really, beautiful.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Grimes, todays Crossing Continents[/url:1apmsmpb] on Radio 4 is from Sweden. It’s quite a good listen.

The new KB Wallander starts this Saturday. I didn’t realise it too is set in Ystad and had assumed it had been anglicised and was set in some small Scottish town. I don’t know why I assumed that, anyhow having not seen KB as Wallander I’m keeping an open mind and looking forward to watching it.

I really enjoyed watching this series, thanks again Matron for highlighting – how did that come about :? and it seems strange that I could so easily have missed it. I just think the acting is excellent.

On the decor etc, it took me a few episodes to get over all their doors opening outwards…..

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

Thanks for that, Pompete. It sounds interesting. And thanks from me too, Matron for high-lighting Wallander.

I’m also surprised to hear it’s set in Ystad; in fact, I wonder why they would have sought to do it at all, given how well the Swedes did it – and only a little before. Maybe they were unaware of it.

I expect we’ll watch it, though I’m quicker to jump to conclusions than you, and am inclined to doubt it will be as good. Maybe I wouldn’t expect them to produce a series set in the UK that was as good as one of our productions.

We keep thinking about that poor girl committing suicide, after witnessing at least the aftermath of the tsunami, but she kind of has a depressed kind of look most of the time in the series – the grisly aspects of which can’t have helped either, since she was vulnerable in that way.

PS: I’m sorry, I seem to have missed your August post. So much spam, it’s easy to miss things, when deleting. And, no, Wally’s women don’t strike me as overly glamorous or appealing in other ways. Now that rather mature red-head who got murdered by his nibs when she spotted the suspicious-looking sheet in his garage – rather like the one carrying on with the plastic surgeon, who was very snooty to Stefan when he made a play for her; anther stunner. I love those kind of eyes where the upper lid isn’t very visible. And redheads.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to seeing how our people fare with it.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

Same here Grimes – I watched the final episode of the Swedish version with my parents over Christmas.

Apparently there were more series of Wallender planned centered around Linda but the author couldn’t cope with the grief and guilt after Johanna Sallstrom committed suicide :(

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.