The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Veterans’ chases question

Home Forums Horse Racing Veterans’ chases question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Guten Abend,

I’m very pleased to see that there will be five examples of this type of race – confined to just the one event at Cartmel for the last few years – between now and May, starting with Wincanton tomorrow.

I know that all of the contests will be £25,000-added 0-145 handicap chases apart from the Cartmel one (0-130 and lesser prizemoney, I think), and I know that tomorrow’s and Cartmel’s examples are restricted to 10 year-olds and over. However, could somebody with the Racing Programme to hand do me a quick favour and check the age limit of the remaining three races, please? The dates of them are:

Doncaster, February 20th
    Newbury, March 1st
    Ascot, April 11th

Many thanks in advance!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Hi Jeremy old chap,

All three you mention are 0-145 handicaps for 10 year olds and up.

THE MARLEY VETERANS’ HANDICAP STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 2)
    Total prize fund £25000
    Distributed in accordance with Appendix W (d)(ii)
    (Includes a fourth prize)
    £16265 to the winning horse
    The second to receive £4775, the third £2387 and the fourth £1192
    for ten yrs old and upwards-Rated 0-145
    about THREE MILES
    THE NATIONAL BRITANNIA VETERANS’ HANDICAP STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 2)
    Total prize fund £25000
    Distributed in accordance with Appendix W (d)(iv)
    (Includes a sixth prize)
    £15657 to the winning horse
    The second to receive £4625, the third £2312, the fourth £1157,
    the fifth £577 and the sixth £290
    THREE MILES ABOUT TWO AND A HALF FURLONGS
    £60 stake
    THE K-LIFT VETERANS’ HANDICAP STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 2)
    Total prize fund £25000
    Distributed in accordance with Appendix W (d)(iv)
    (Includes a sixth prize)
    £15657 to the winning horse
    The second to receive £4625, the third £2312, the fourth £1157,
    the fifth £577 and the sixth £290
    about THREE MILES

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Aha, just the ticket – thanks, Rory!

I was minded to ask having flicked through an old Weekender earlier, wherein concerns had been raised that these races would be to the detriment of hunters’ chases.

An interesting point, for whilst some of this year’s professionally-trained hunters such as Le Passing and East Tycoon are still too young to take part, anything that has run in points this season could sit out tomorrow’s race – thereby not disqualifying themselves from hunters’ chases before the first one of the season on Saturday – but then take in the rest of this series.

I wouldn’t have thought we’d be talking about dozens and dozens of such animals, though.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Unfortunately, this subject has hit a rather raw nerve with me! Basically, Christian e-mailed me last week to say that Quirino was going to make his long awaited seasonal debut in a race at Wincanton, so I took the day off work (day job) to make sure I’d be able to do my duties (2nd job). Unfortunately, Christian then e-mailed me a few days later to say that Quirino wasn’t eligible for the race – yes, you’ve guessed it, it was this veterans race! There I was, all hopes high of seeing one of our stable stars running – and he can’t get in because he’s only 7. That being said, I do think these sort or races are a good idea – it gives a good old racing stalwart a chance to rekindle former glories.

Darren – AngloGerman

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Darren, I’m pretty sure the equivalent contest last season was a 3m1.5f hunters’ chase, so this race would never have been a goer for Quirino, this season or last. To quote Eric Idle’s Life of Brian character on the crucifix, “What have you lost? Naffin!!!” :D

By the way, that’s the same animal I saw winning a low sun-affected Towcester beginners’ chase this time last year, isn’t it?

My own reflections on the veterans’ chase genre are now posted at http://thatracingblog.blogspot.com/2008/01/sanatogen-and-saga-brigade-descend-upon.html, btw.

gc

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Quite a good idea these veteran races as it gives those who have a high rating a chance to get their heads infront.

Cant see Hunter Chases being affected but maybe their should be a summer series of these with qualifiers at places like Perth,Stratford,Uttoxeter with a final being held at somewhere like Hereford or Worcester.

After all if football can have a veterans series, why not jump racing

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

what a great idea; I hadn’t heard of these races – I’d really go out of my way to see a race full of my old favourites just as I’ll make an effort to go where one of my retired heroes is parading [one of the best things about Cheltenham]…

AngloGerman
    • Total Posts 602

Darren, I’m pretty sure the equivalent contest last season was a 3m1.5f hunters’ chase, so this race would never have been a goer for Quirino, this season or last. To quote Eric Idle’s Life of Brian character on the crucifix, “What have you lost? Naffin!!!” :D

By the way, that’s the same animal I saw winning a low sun-affected Towcester beginners’ chase this time last year, isn’t it?

gc

First of all, this was definitely the race that Christian had in mind for him – he wanted to run him around this time of year, and the distance, course and conditions suited him (apart from the veterans thing of course!!). That being said, he probably would have been a non runner today anyway due to the gales in the south.

Yes, he won the ‘semi-chase’ as I call it at Towcester this time last year where the entire home straight was run on the flat, and he overturned Esprit Saint of Alan Kings if I remember correctly. Not sure where he goes from here, but he’s only 7 so time is on our side. FYI, after Towcester last year, he ran twice back in Germany, and then at Ludlow.

Darren – AngloGerman

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

First of all, this was definitely the race that Christian had in mind for him – he wanted to run him around this time of year, and the distance, course and conditions suited him (apart from the veterans thing of course!!). That being said, he probably would have been a non runner today anyway due to the gales in the south.

Oh sure, I wasn’t disputing the actuality of Christian’s planning to go for the race before he found out about the age limit – forgive me if I gave that impression at all. :)

It was definitely Esprit Saint that Quirino overhauled at Towcester that day. I had down in my notes that your fellow went out to the left at a few obstacles – Fair? Unfair? I note nearly all of his UK engagements / declarations have been at clockwise tracks, so I’m guessing this isn’t an constant, irreporable habit.

Whichever, I look forward to seeing him on these shores again in the near future.

gc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.