The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Unsung horses

Home Forums Horse Racing Unsung horses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

It’s late and I’ve come back from the pub and started watching old races on YouTube… by the way, our own @espmadrid is a total legend when it comes to putting races on the internet.

Anyway: Waterloo Boy was not quite an all-time great but was tough, genuine and top class.

Who are your unsung heroes?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2039

Nuaffe; always competitive, highly tried, always blitzed a few fences. Check out this for a race full of legends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZSsn0U6QA&t=57s

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5976

Grey Abbey , always wonder what he could have done it Howard Johnson had got him when he was younger ….still the best jumper of a fence I’ve seen in the flesh

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

For me, those (like the chap mentioned) who post old footage on YouTube are almost a big a select group of legends as the horses they put up old clips of.

There is so much dross on the internet but theirs is a welcome reminder of how great the web can be.

I once even found a clip from 1978 of a race from my first big day’s Jump racing at Doncaster and the flood of memory triggers were legion and wonderful.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1509

Young Hustler comes to mind, I remember him being first past the post in The Grand National having unfortunately lost his jockey on the first circuit.

I've stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
    I've walked and I crawled on six crooked highways
    Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5976

Don’t mention Bewleys Berry ….fell in front in the GN … I needed therapy …there was 2 or 3 really nice tokens on him

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

I used to like Len Lungo’s The Bajan Bandit, also the likes of Cab On Target, Unguided Missile, Young Kenny. My favourite 90s hurdler Large Action, who was a certainty round Cheltenham, not at the Festival.
    What was that even money shot Maguire rode for Nicholson in the William Hill Hurdle?
    Also good old Mole Board.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4719

“What was that even money shot Maguire rode for Nicholson in the William Hill Hurdle?”

Relkeel.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Thanks Glad, it was Relkeel…
    Let’s not forget the 1992 Welsh National where Martin Pipe trained the first four home.

Illavim
    Participant
    • Total Posts 764

Ah yes, good old Mole Board, he was a favourite of mine too, and Pridwell, that win over Istabraq at Aintree sticks in the memory!

Participant
    • Total Posts 736

Ah yes, Mole Board, ran in many Champion Hurdles from 1989 to 1995; even won a 3m Ascot Hurdle at the April midweek meeting. I also remember losing a race at Sandown, when his jockey fell off at the last (might have been Tom Grantham).

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

Neptune Collonges is one that stands out for me. Ran so well in numerous big races over the years, but was understandably overshadowed by his superstar stablemates Kauto Star and Denman.

And then when he finally got his day of glory in the Grand National, it was spoiled by the sad losses of Gold Cup winner Synchronised and According To Pete during the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2993

Delighted to see Neptune Collonges here. I backed him in the National but, as Marlingford says, his victory was spoiled by the fatalities.

On the subject of horses overshadowed by stablemates, I’d like to add Barnbrook Again

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I was a big fan of beat the bank on the flat

He’d lose every time in group 1 company, but you could rely on him every time in group 2s and group 3s even when carrying a penalty

Won me a good few quid he did

Always tried 100% and could rely on him to get his head in front in a tight finish

Was gutted when he died as I’m sure everyone at the Balding yard was

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12998

Not sure if this qualifies, but I was at York in August 1982 when a colt by Nijinsky out of Glad Rags hammered subsequent Mill Reef winner Salieri by seven lengths in an astonishing time in the Acomb Stakes on his debut.

I was then at Doncaster when this magnificent-looking animal won the Champagne Stakes by five lengths.

The outspoken and opinionated racing journalist Richard Baerlein (The Guardian) was adamant the colt was got at when he finished a tailed off and virtually pulled up last of four in the Dewhurst and the horse was never the same again thereafter.

Gorytus will forever be my unsung hero.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Jinxy Jack. Northern legend – 4 Morebattle Hurdle wins.

Just Beth – never top class but won at Cheltenham and as brave as a lion.

Carranita – just loved her.

Strong Promise – beautiful. Broke my heart.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7604

I liked your namesake Bonanzaboy. I suppose he wasn’t really unsung in that he did win stuff but I thought I’d mention him as he was special to me. He ran quite often in all those big races, so he was on telly a lot, and I used to watch Bonanza with my dad when I was little so liked the name, and he ran in the Grand National every year which meant more to me than the gold cup because it was the Big Race with the big jumps.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.