The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ultima 2021

Home Forums Cheltenham Festival 2021 Ultima 2021

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Not surprisingly Phoenix Way heads the market here. Very interesting profile, but I’ll stick my neck out, and say he might get sent to Irish National. Still of interest here though.

As mentioned on The Kim Muir thread, there’s a few who could head here instead, the likes of Palmers Hill, School Boy Hours, Farclas, and especially Locks Corner. The problem I have right now though, is that School Boy Hours is priced up at 40’s here. I’m very tempted.

Cloth Cap obviously doesn’t like it too soft, which might be an issue on Day One, but he was very impressive at Newbury, and easy to see him take this in, en route to Aintree. Runner up that day, Aye Right, will surely have this in his sights. Last years winner The Conditional, who was third at Newbury, is a very obvious one, and at this moment in time, he’s not weighted out of this at all.

The Conditional holds an entry at Ascot next week, and a lot will depend on that. Another who takes that race in, Valtor, is starting to look very well handicapped, and I reckon he’s got a big pot in him this year. If he’s not successful at Ascot, he’d become increasingly attractive for this.

It’s one of his stablemates though, who is one of two I really like for this, namely Ok Corral. Bot much chat about him, and he swerved this last year, but I think he’s perfect for this. Very impressive at Doncaster. The other I like at this stage, is Ramses De Teille, who was a big fancy for me in The Becher. Although he ultimately disappointed, another couple of pounds shaved off over the next couple of months, and I think he’ll have a huge chance.

That’s the pair I really like, but just part of a very early, and very long shortlist then.

If I had to pick one right now, it would be Ramses De Teille.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1757

Too early for a bet in this although I got a price requested for One For The Team in the hope I could be lured in. 25s was the return which doesn’t offer much at this stage, although he’s one I’ve got my eye on with this in mind.

@TomBarkley87

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Can’t believe I forgot to add Dashel Drasher, who’s a notebook horse of mine. Unibet have a fuller market up now, and he’s at the head of it.

Can’t argue with that, and he’s a horse who should come on for his first run after a layoff.

Don’t want to keep adding posts unnecessarily, so I’ll add in Sizing at Midnight as well, who would have won The Badger Ales, but for falling close home.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 941

He is well handicapped but Valtor is starting to sicken me a bit like dingo dollar ….doesn’t win very often at all

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Court Maid for me. I’m surprised he’s not in the betting for this. I will definitely bet her, and I’m sure she’ll be added to the markets soon.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2696

There has been talk about the NHC for her i think

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 367

Thank you FF, I had heard that myself, and I thought that looked close the obvious target for her. That was until the ride she got on Friday though, it was very strange to put it politely. I just thought of The Ultima immediately.

Fwiw I would agree with the National Hunt Chase for her, the trip is perfect for her.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Was certainly an interesting ride she got on Friday.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

On the face of it, Palmers Hill was disappointing on his debut over fences last week, but I’ll be really surprised if he doesn’t improve.

I had no idea where he might go, but providing he’s staying over the larger obstacles, I’d be more hopeful that he comes here, and he’s quite interesting at 50’s.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2691

After his run after 2 years off this was the race that came into to my head for Dickie Diver. But don’t know what Nicky Henderson is going to do.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2696

Kim Muir would be a good chance off his current mark I’d say mike

But he needs to get some runs in for a handicap mark which may be hard for a fragile horse

botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4123

Took a chance on The Hollow Ginge @ 56/1 for this rather than TWAR.

Maybe a bit too far out to say what would of happened on Saturday if he stood up, for me he was going as equally well if not better than the winner at the time. If he goes to the festival he would sneak in off his current mark mark in the Kim Muir but hopefully he gets rated a bit higher than that in the next few weeks.

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

I’ve bet two here, and both of them are horses that I really like.

Aye Right and Cloth Cap, both of them 16-1 with non runner no bet.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16445

Another big run from Aye Right the other day mate. Possible “bridesmaid” horse now, but hopefully get that big run here.

I’m very keen now, on another you liked for Doncaster, Talkischeap.

Very good run in a bumper today, and I’ll definitely bet him for this. He might be one for the old Racing Post Chase as well, but he’d be a big fancy here if he trapped.

Still very interested in Ramses De Teille, but like Talkischeap, he’s not quoted.

Ramses De Teille
    Talkischeap

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2696

Not a race Gordon traditionally targets but have backed farclas 28/1 nrnb with paddy

Saw a quote from Jack Kennedy that he was planning on riding farclas in the thyestes before he was pulled out

Suggests he likes the horse and he’ll likely be too high for the kim muir

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.