The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

tyneandthyneagain

Home Forums Memorials tyneandthyneagain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ninahagen4
    Participant
    • Total Posts 121

Very sad as he fell as a loose horse.

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

It took the edge off the race for me. Gutted. Comiserations to connections.

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

When he crept onto the scene, he was as consistant a NHF/NvH horse you wanted. Loved the ‘proper’ NH racing ground and had abundant stamina reserves.

He lost out on at least 5 or 6 good races because of injury but those who remember him ploughing around for the Great Yorkshire and the Eider (I love that race up here) will smile upon hearing the name Tyneandthyneagain.

Another wonderful quirk this horse had is that even to his death, I’ve never been able to spell that bloody name correctly!

Now such a horse doesn’t deserve to be involved in a political witchhunt. I also know that the horse suffered it’s fatal injury whilst running loose. However, this horse was sold for just 10,000 guineas within a month before the race on the basis that it had an entry in the Grand National. This is a situation that has to be looked at by all parties concerned.

Two point’s I’d like to make on this ;-

1) The horse, at his prime, was worth well above 10,000gns. Could have fetched at least £125,000 (please verify) whilst at the top of his game. Asking a horse like this to win this years Grand National would have been like asking a retired boxer to win the world title again.

The same analogy could be put towards several other connections who asked their (with all due respect) complete and utter non hopers to compete in such a demanding race.  These days, the reasoning that ‘anything could win’ is blown well out of proportion and with the world class jockeys we have today, the better horses tend to fill the top finishing positions.

2) The BHB has taken steps in being ‘horse friendly’ by refusing entry to any horse rated 110 or less by the BHB. Now what about the horses valued at 10,000gns?

As a racing fan, I am very upset about this situation and I would be very grateful if somebody could explain why the current rules are satisfactory. I would be even more grateful if a representative of the BHB could answer my questions in an open forum.

If nobody wants to answer my questions informally then I will get my answers formally.

Burroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

"These days, the reasoning that ‘anything could win’ is blown well out of proportion and with the world class jockeys we have today, the better horses tend to fill the top finishing positions. "

I was thinking that myself on saturday. You don’t get the 100/1 shots winning any more. It’s not the lottery it used to be, but I’m wondering about statistics. <br>Were the fatalities and injuries in the past all no hopers or were they good horses too?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.