The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Two Cricket Questions

Home Forums General Sports Two Cricket Questions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Sorry if this is obvious but why can’t we have an lbw rule where if the umpire thinks the ball will hit the stumps it does not matter where it pitches?

The other night why was Shah allowed to go off the field but Smith could not get a runner?

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Stilvi it only matters where it pitches if it pitches outside leg stump. Removing this rule would make for a very very boring game, you would simply have everyone bowling around the wicket constantly to 5-4 leg side fields, the rule is there to encourage the game to be played positively.

I didn’t catch much of the game the other day so I can’t comment on your second question, though i expect if he wasn’t aloud a runner it might have been because he was already injured as you have to be injured during play to have a runner.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1921

He was suffering from cramp.

The cynic in me says that Strauss was worried about winning the game and making Smith have to run wouldn’t help his mobility.

If it had been anyone else he’d probably have let him have a runner.

Similarly would he have let the Sri Lankan batsman off with the run out in the previous game if it had been one of the top batters earlier in the innings rather than Mathews towards the back end.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

Smith had cramp that’s down to lack of conditioning or fitness. The ICC agreed that Smith was not entitled to a runner. The same would apply if he entered the match with an existing injury.

There are exceptions in extreme cases in some cricket. When I played in the Berkshire League we played against one player who had an artificial leg. It was generally accepted that it was reasonable for him have a runner!

The theory regarding ‘top batters’ doesn’t wash given that Matthews was one of the major contributors to the innings.

Rob

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

Stilvi it only matters where it pitches if it pitches outside leg stump. Removing this rule would make for a very very boring game, you would simply have everyone bowling around the wicket constantly to 5-4 leg side fields, the rule is there to encourage the game to be played positively.

Still a little confused how can it be positive if a batsman can just ‘pad-up’ to anything that pitches outside leg stump?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

Still a little confused how can it be positive if a batsman can just ‘pad-up’ to anything that pitches outside leg stump?

Well the obvious way for the bowler to avoid that is to bowl so it pitches in line.

The change came about prinicipally following the Bodyline Series in Australia. As eluded to in a previous post, the bowlers were able to just bowl very fast at the batsman with the intention of making him fend the ball off to a line of fielders on the offside. Essentially just pure intimidation of the batsman into getting otu through being scared. The rule change was used in conjunction with a limitation on the number of legside fielders behind the bat (no more than two allowed) to stop intimidatory bowling. It doesn’t take the fear factor out of batting, but it does mean the batsman is in less danger.

From experience of facing quick bowling, even at village level, I can say that I wouldn’t fancy anybody bowling at me from outside the off stump. Taking avoiding action or trying to score off such bowling is not easy for your average mortal. It isn’t at all difficult to see where the rule makers were ‘coming from’.

From the other angle, as a bowler you have to use your noddle a bit as to where you pitch the ball. Left arm bowlers bowling to right handed batsman or Right arms to left hand bats have to make sure they pitch up or get close to the stumps. But that in itself ia discipline you have to stick to and I haven’t heard any complaints from bowlers.

Rob

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Rob is right. Before the alteration to the law in 1934 the ball had to pitch in line. The change to allow lbw verdicts when the ball pitched outside the off stump was both to tip the balance a little more towards the bowlers at a time of gargantuan batting scores and as, Rob pointed out, to encourage bowlers to target the off stump rather than the leg stump.

It has often been suggested that the rule be further amended to allow lbw dismissals where the ball has pitched outside the leg stump, but no sign that it will be introduced yet.

In the case of Smith/Shah, the Laws of the game state that the umpires decide on whether a fielder can have a substitute or a batsman a runner. The idea that the fielding captain has some kind of say in it is one of those customs that creep into the sport that are not actually enshrined in the laws. Strauss should not really have been involved and it added a note of unneccessary antagonism to the situation.

A batsman is entitled to a runner if in the opinion of the umpires he became injured or ill after the teams were nominated. In this case, the umpires were of the opinion that cramp is a result of fatigue and does not constitute either an illness or an injury. It isn’t impossible that other umpires may see it differently, though unlikely, given that the ICC have confirmed that these umpires acted correctly.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

The other night why was Shah allowed to go off the field but Smith could not get a runner?

Most fielding captains would understand the necessity of removing Shah from the field of play at the earliest opportunity.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Most fielding captains would understand the necessity of removing Shah from the field of play at the earliest opportunity.

:mrgreen:

tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Fear Factor, fast bowling is half the fun Rob :lol: I had the pleasure of having to face up first ball to a rather firey South African this season just passed on a quick deck. Though I think I encouraged him somewhat with some unimaginative sledging and rubbishing the rumors he had been clocked at 85 mph and words to the effect of my granny bowls quicker than you. He opened up with an 8-1 field with just a short leg and i wore the third ball on my grill going for a hook!

Needless to say had there still been the old laws in place I would have had 1 or 2 less functioning ribs that day!

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2183

I thought when watching the game, Strauss was suprised to even be asked. might be wrong

Not sure smith is exactly well liked by the england camp either…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.