The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tubing of Horse

Home Forums Horse Racing Tubing of Horse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

Has anyone seen a tubed horse recently? I don’t know if the operation has been banned, but roarers used to be a common sight, and I don’t think I’ve come across one for ten years. Perhaps tubing has ben replaced by a more modern breathing operation?

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

I haven’t for years either, however, one ran the other week at Doncaster, can’t remember the name tho.

Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

Thanks, Obi, that’s interesting to know they are still around. I think at one time tubed horses used to be marked with a small "t" in the Sporting Life form guide. You had to avoid them on windy days because a gust could catch their breath.

(In case anybody wonders what on earth we’re talking about, tubing was a crude but effective way of improving a horse’s breathing by cutting a hole the size of a 50p piece low down on the windpipe, on the high part of the chest. The short tube was inserted and held permanently in place with a seal on the wound. At rest, the horse had a bung in the hole to stop dirt and dust getting in, and the bung was removed during exercise and racing to facilitate air intake in animals with poor breathing.)

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

Mad Max I believe was tubed while racing for Criminal (ironic title, if there are any lawyers reading) Henderson last season.

Pajo
    Participant
    • Total Posts 67

There’s a related article (and picture) in January’s Kingsley Klarion. In it Mark Johnston mentions that there are plans to ban the practise.

Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

Well that answers my question, so thanks very much for posting that, Pajo.

Looks as if there is a move afoot to ban tubing, but it is surely a more humane solution to breathing problems than the other horrors Mark talks about.

I read all the available issues of the Klarion on that page. He certainly has some interesting views.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.