The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF

Home Forums Lounge TRF

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

What a week Goodwood is!

… and with the beloved Dandino going for the Gordon Stakes on Tuesday, to see whether he’s really Group class or not, sleep’s not going to be easy.

Are you a member of Elite Pinza?

I expected to have a good bet on Dandino tomorrow. Thought he might be under-rated by bookies. But looks like the word’s gone out a good run is expected, judged from market activity. Now only 1% value @ 11/2 according to my 100% book (I make him a fair 5/1 shot). Not enough margin for error to bet.

Will have to wait until on course. Film Score @ 13/2 is my only bet in the race so far.

Good luck all in Elite. Dandino is a great advirtisment. Genuine and improving fast.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I don’t think any of us on this forum have anything to worry about if this thread is anything to go by. Yes there’s a small amount of mud-slinging going on, but all done in good heart with plenty of back-slapping, handshaking and "mine’s a pint" going on afterwards.
    Ive been on forum’s which have completely descended into downright bullying and abuse, and this place stands out as being extremely dignified.
    It’s never going to be as polite as "real life" because that’s the nature of the internet, but if we can keep up that bckdrop of respect that we seem to be able to manage at the moment, then we should be happy to welcome the funsters and the boring old farts into our wonderful community with equally open arms.

Am I talking drivel? Not sure :-)

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

The opposite of love is indifference. :(

So threads like this every now and again are no harm imo.

• Total Posts 1083

I don’t think any of us on this forum have anything to worry about if this thread is anything to go by. Yes there’s a small amount of mud-slinging going on, but all done in good heart with plenty of back-slapping, handshaking and "mine’s a pint" going on afterwards.
    Ive been on forum’s which have completely descended into downright bullying and abuse, and this place stands out as being extremely dignified.
    It’s never going to be as polite as "real life" because that’s the nature of the internet, but if we can keep up that bckdrop of respect that we seem to be able to manage at the moment, then we should be happy to welcome the funsters and the boring old farts into our wonderful community with equally open arms.

Nice post.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Thanks although I see I’ve put an apostrophe in "forum’s". :oops: I’m so sorry. :mrgreen:

• Total Posts 1083

Thanks although I see I’ve put an apostrophe in "forum’s". :oops: I’m so sorry. :mrgreen:

Hahaha

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Good luck all in Elite. Dandino is a great advirtisment. Genuine and improving fast.

He’s become a huge favourite of the Elites, having started down the field in a Newcastle back-end maiden at 20-1 and gradually worked up to those breathtaking and plucky wins on the Derby card and Royal Ascot.

Personally, despite James Given’s confidence, I fear that Dandino’s biting off more than he can chew as the lowest-rated horse in an important Group 3 Leger trial: if he’s placed, I’ll be really delighted. It’s his attitude that’s so likeable.

And then, the 5f Listed win for the 2yo

Marlinka

at Vichy earlier this week (jockey Mendizabal described her as "a little bomb") was an important milestone, too. By Marju (Soviet Song’s sire) out of Baralinka (Soviet Song’s half-sister) that black type is worth a champagne toast – and look out for her in something like the Flying Childers, as she was drawn out of it in the Queen Mary.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

According to Timeform, Dandino improved 9lbs between races on his last 2 starts. If doing that again he’s right in the mix. Though the 11/2’s gone now.

What impressed me was Epsom. In a comparitively slowly run race, nothing much else made any ground. Yet Dandino did it easily. Has a turn of foot quite rare in middle-distance stayers.

Went in to the notebook, then did not look at many handicaps at Ascot. Missed him. :cry:

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What impressed me was Epsom. In a comparitively slowly run race, nothing much else made any ground. Yet Dandino did it easily. Has a turn of foot quite rare in middle-distance stayers.

Absolutely. He did well in the 12F Royal Ascot race too, as they didn’t go a great gallop there either, but the sprint began early. He showed that turn of foot again, and sustained it to the line most gamely. I gather than Ryan Moore was surprised that London Stripe (to whom Dandino was giving weight) got beat by him, and that since then he’s asked Paul Mulrennen a couple of times "How’s Dandino? Very nice colt…" with one of those "I wish I were riding him" looks. That too gives us a little cause for hope!

seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Definitely not drivel, BHL.

Compared to football forums I frequent this is the model of civility.
    I post rarely but read regularly and consider the forum well managed and most contributions are worth reading.
    This forum will change and evolve – as everything does – and there will always be some comments about how things used to be.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

This argument comes up every year yet the forum continues to grow. I’m sure things will carry on as they are under the current management. I only post and visit less because it’s so bloody big!

Pocket talking threads or blatant jockey abuse is not really needed though. Or it should at least be done constructively.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Great thread and some excellent responses too.

I respect both sides of the argument…I’m happy to read some of the more intelligent contributions and really enjoy doing so. At times I also enjoy the lesser, light-hearted stuff aswell.

I’m an easy going person and can enjoy both, if I can’t be bothered with reading one or the other I can simply click to close the thread and think nothing more of it.

Must admit though, having got to the 5th and 6th page of this thread I was forgetting where I was on the forum and wondered if I’d slipped into the daily lays & plays section or stumbled into the chat room and gatecrashed a conversation about Dandino. :wink:

• Total Posts 2390

Must admit though, having got to the 5th and 6th page of this thread I was forgetting where I was on the forum and wondered if I’d slipped into the daily lays & plays section or stumbled into the chat room and gatecrashed a conversation about Dandino. :wink:

Indeed Zammo, this place is becoming a shambles.

I do wish ‘These People’ would use the appropriate section of the Forum or the Chatroom.

• Total Posts 276

Pleased for you "Happy" … not quite sure what relevance my quote is though :? .. I must be feeling a bit dim today … Are you thanking me, disagreeing with me, questioning my judgement .. or, none of the above :lol:

Ardrossthegreat
    • Total Posts 303

Pleased for you "Happy" … not quite sure what relevance my quote is though :? .. I must be feeling a bit dim today … Are you thanking me, disagreeing with me, questioning my judgement .. or, none of the above :lol:

I agree with you. I found some members were using the forum to ‘ big themselves up’ and try to force their views on people, which is not what a forum is for. Blatently advertising their websites in every post also annoyed me. Which is why I agree with you that it could be off putting to new prospective members. The forum should be encouraging people to ask questions no matter how silly they may seem to those who believe they have the font of all knowledge. New members may be new to racing, and are trying gain knowledge. Forum memebers should encourage them , not slag them off.
    I now contribute to another forum where horse racing is always to the fore, although there is some betting discussion. I still look in on here from time to time but as I have been banned and not told if the ban has been lifted I will only try and post on subjects that are of specific interest to me.

Whatever forum you wish to partake in whether it be Racing,Football anything, members(and i use the word in a lot of forms) will percieve themselves to be established and therefore untouchable with their opinions of things and people. You can go to any forum you like and you’ll see it time and time again. I think most of the time these people would email someone if they were sitting next to them instead of actually talking to them. Fair play to you mate its the way forums should be, post on subjects you like most. :wink:

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

…the last few lines of happy’s post I would agree with, but the first half of it, definitely not.

happy, who are you to decide what the forum is for and who should post on it, or what they post or whether they advertise a website or not? A matter for the forum owner, or it’s shareholders, I would have thought. Are you one?

It’s this type of ‘forum police’ mentality from some members I find the most tiresome, I have to say.

• Total Posts 1083

…the last few lines of happy’s post I would agree with, but the first half of it, definitely not.

happy, who are you to decide what the forum is for and who should post on it, or what they post or whether they advertise a website or not? A matter for the forum owner, or it’s shareholders, I would have thought. Are you one?

It’s this type of ‘forum police’ mentality from some members I find the most tiresome, I have to say.

Yeah totally agree UM.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.