The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF

Home Forums Lounge TRF

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    bucketnut
    • Total Posts 63

Please remember what a quality product this forum is. If I had access to just one one site on the internet it would be TRF. When I first joined I though I knew my racing but since reading the debate on here I realise I know Jack compared to some. But the forum is also fun and surely its a broad enough church that I can enjoy Mathews posts as much as intricate betting posts or detailed breeding analysis. Mathew has had his knuckles rapped in the past but seems to have learned his lesson and I believe TRF is enhanced with his contributions.

Stu

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

That’s a bit patronising towards the Flat guys Seven Towers. This sort of thing happens all year.

Think this thread has been good.
    May be there will be more members thinking more about what they put in posts.

Had it been in the Chat Room, nobody would take a blind bit of notice / seen it.

Should not lose sight of the fact: Overall this is a magnificent forum. A credit to Corm and his pals, and the posters.

Value Is Everything
    underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I’m with Seven Towers….its the summer. The flat racing is even worse than a normal year. People are bored. Once the proper racing is back it’ll all pick up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Then you should have come to Market Rasen old son.

• Total Posts 2432

…and as the last few posts indicate, TRF reverts to its toasty fireside state in a couple of months – a discussion group focusing on airborne shire horse impersonators so don’t worry too much about its current form, chaps. :D

• Total Posts 661

Can’t believe the original poster started a thread about his dissappointment at people being slated, not knowing that more heated debates would be had within the thread :shock:

And it’s not surprising to find that Matthew is a the crux of the blame for TRF becoming a ‘worse’ place, and it’s not surprising to see who is having a go at Matthew.

And here’s me thinking we were all adults on this site, adults intelligent enough to ignore topics that don’t appeal. I really can’t believe, and I mean this, that people join a forum and then let certain topics ‘get to them’ I find it astonishing in fact. Do you go to bed at night worrying about it? Do you wake up during the night worrying that Matthew might have started another thread about jockeys? Are you hairs turning grey? Is your private life becoming affected by Matthew’s posts? Believe me guys, you’d certainly think so the way some of you go on.

The last time I looked this was a racing forum, so someone starting a topic about a good ride, a bad ride, his day out at the races, how much he’s lost, how much he’s one etc etc – well that’s racing isn’t it?

You all go on about how you don’t want TRF to be like the Betfair forum. Well the betfair forum has 30 new threads started within minutes after a bad ride. TRF has one thread started every few days at the very worst. If this really is affecting some people then there’s a game out there called tiddlywinks… I suggest you go and take it up.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

I was more worried about Matty having a thread about what clothes he should wear to Askit… That really tells you everything that is wrong with racing…(and esp flat racing) Dress code for any racing should be clear. "Dress for the weather"

bucketnut
    • Total Posts 63

I watched the final of the tiddlywinks. The runner up played a shocker and I’m sure its a fix. I hope he’s reported to the stewards. I had good money on him. :wink:

• Total Posts 661

I watched the final of the tiddlywinks. The runner up played a shocker and I’m sure its a fix. I hope he’s reported to the stewards. I had good money on him. :wink:

I know mate, and he’s index finger weighed in less than advertised so there should have been an objection from the clerk of the scales… but there wasn’t :D .

It’s the most bent game in the world, hence why we should all enjoy horse racing and enjoy any topics on it, instead of disrespecting what other people might want to talk about.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

I’m quite enjoying the youthful exuberance of the forum at the moment from some quarters, but some of the comments aimed at the young man, Matthew, generally it appears from much older people, seem quite perverse to me – a kind of stalking.
    I think it’s weird personally.

• Total Posts 661

I’m quite enjoying the youthful exuberance of the forum at the moment from some quarters, but some of the comments aimed at the young man, Matthew, generally it appears from much older people, seem quite perverse to me – a kind of stalking.
    I think it’s weird personally.

Very well said UM. I wouldn’t call it stalking or weird however, I’d call it child-like and bordering on bullying (if there is such a thing over the internet).

I’m not going to say anything else on the matter as I may start to fall into the bracket that I’ve just labelled some people. Matthew is old enough to defend himslef but he’s doing a terrific job of rising above it all and simply not responding (as he’s done on his Ascot thread).

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

I think for too long the site has suffered from an unwelcome self-congratulatory tone. Too often ‘established’ posters (whoever they are, even the term drips with condescension) remark on how great the forum is, how learned people are, how respected individuals are. Sorry, but the constant back-slapping is tiresome.

My second gripe is when the so-called ‘famous’ racing folk post and the rush to genuflection that always follows. The best example of this is whenever Lydia Hislop contributes. I’m absolutely certain that some posters are secretly thinking ‘hmm, if I say something nice to Lydia then perhaps I’ll get up one morning and have a private message from La Hislop thanking me for my contribution and suggesting a little cosy meet-up somewhere.’ She’s female, she sometimes posts on here – that’s all!

I’ve used her as an example because the response to her is the most nauseating but there are others on here who may have worked in the game, written a couple of books and suddenly they’re responded to as if they’ve just discovered a cure for cancer.

New people have joined. Jockeys are getting stick/abuse on a far more regular basis. I don’t agree with most of it and I’ve posted my view. Can’t really understand why it’s such a big issue.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33016

And some people will attack the "famous folk" just because they are famous folk, and call their integrity in to question, without justification. When their jobs depend on integrity.

I will leap to the defence of anyone I think is being poorly treated, whether a "famous person" or "newbie".

I will also criticise famous folk or newbies if it is justified.

Treat everyone the same. Everyone deserves respect, Famous folk and newbies.

You might be the one judging Lydia by her sex ROF, not others.

It could be that those who don’t like the "Famous Folk" defended are the ones jealous of them.

It could be that people are interested to here what Prufrock, AP, Lydia, Boycie and many, many others, have to say, because they are well respected and know what they are on about. Unlike some.
    However,
    There’s only one thing to remember.
    Judge every post for what it says in that post, not who writes it, and not what they’ve written before.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 4293

To quote Andre Gide, I’ve always thought of myself as someone who was just intelligent enough to know he was stupid….

Seems to me that this Andre Gide geezer ripped off Socrates.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

To quote Andre Gide, I’ve always thought of myself as someone who was just intelligent enough to know he was stupid….

Seems to me that this Andre Gide geezer ripped off Socrates.

Indeed he did Gerald, quite true. Except that Socrates put it the other way round, talking about

people who were just stupid enough to think they were intelligent

. They, I think, are the more lethal type!

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

Would’t disagree with the vast majority of what you say Ginger, but I’m judging other people’s responses to Lydia Hislop’s posts. I’m not really sure what you mean when you say I may be judging her by her sex.

If she posts then you can expect a large number of obsequious responses very very quickly.

It’s laughable to be honest but hey-ho if it lights up the lives of those doing it then that’s up to them.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

The little gem of a dialogue between Pinza and Gerald is the sort of thing that keeps me tuning into TRF when the racing is a bit boring. Great stuff

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.