TRF Awards Nominations Thread 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF Awards Nominations Thread 2014

This topic contains 63 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by graysonscolumn graysonscolumn 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 15788

Thanks Joe, I’m a actually a miserable git in real life :D

*Poster of the Year – Hate nominating in this, as there’s always about a dozen I want to mention.

Nathan

would have been my vote, as he puts so much time in, all over the forum, but he’s already been nominated. Would love to nominate

Aaron

(funny),

THM

(profitable), or

Steeplechasing

(knowledgeable), but don’t want to go all "eurovision" with my votes :D.

Stevecaution

has been fab this year, and no surprise to see him nominated. Mentions too for

Corm

for all the effort put in to keeping this place afloat,

moe

for clearly loving her horses, and never having a bad word to say,

Homersimpson

for keeping his "colours" system ahead,

Triptych

for all the work she puts into her competitions. Like Joni said, all the DLAP gang, lots of good posters, and the "occasional winners" too, and same for all the regulars on "Big Race Discussions". Special mention for

TAPK

, loathe him or dislike him, he always gets a reaction, and always a great read. TAPK, and

Cavelino Rampante

also deserve a lot of thanks for putting their hands in their pockets for "TRF Ten To Follow". Vote goes to

. Puts loads of effort and detail into his thread, "Norths Notes", and if there’s any horse, or stable, you want to keep an eye on around the Northern tracks, then he’s the man to ask.

*Jump jockey of the Year – Richard Johnson

*Villain of the Year – All involved in the Ten To Follow getting cancelled.

*Jumps Horse of the Year – Balthazar King

*Flat Trainer of the Year – David O’Meara

Hero of the year – Outlaw Tom for that demolotion job at Hexham in April.

*Jumps Trainer of the Year – Richard Newlands

*Owner of the Year – JP McManus

*Racing Broadcaster of the Year – Gary O’Brien

Gede
    Gede
    Participant
    • Total Posts 118

My contribution:

*Poster of the Year
    I won’t reply to that one as I don’t know much of you, but there are some posters that I appreciate reading (

Venture to Cognac

Nathan Hugues

Steeplechasing

stevecaution

, to name a few…)

*Flat jockey of the Year

Ryan Moore

. I can’t type anything else. He was great.

*Jump jockey of the Year

AP McCoy

, once again. No hesitation.

*Hero of the Year

California Chrome

. He won two races of the US Triple Crown, then finished third in the Classic, and went on recently to win at Grade I level… on turf. I imagine that breeders certainly like horses which are able to win on various surface. I hope he comes to Ascot next year.

*Flat Horse of the Year

Taghrooda

. Oaks-KGVI and QEII. Third in the Arc. A marvelous filly.

*Jumps Horse of the Year

Hurricane Fly

. An unbelievable record with 20 Grade I races… so far!

*Flat Trainer of the Year

Criquette Head

. Life wasn’t always nice for her, and what Trêve did in the Arc may be seen as a kind of justice. Criquette did an amazing job, she never lost faith and kept focusing on Trêve’s main objective.

*Jumps Trainer of the Year

Willie Mullins

. He definitely hasn’t something to complain about. :mrgreen:

*One To Watch in 2015

Epicuris

*Riding Performance of the Year
    Olympic Glory in the GI Prix de la Forêt at Longchamp. I watched that race many times and

Dettori

simply did a magic trick.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4243

Not going to get too bogged down with nominations but a couple of categories:

Poster Of The Year –

for sheer volume of work he’s put in, particularly his efforts in the Ten to Follow.

Riding Performance Of The Year –

in January. Superb judgement of pace throughout the race to get the absolute best out of his horse to beat higher rated opponents.

Rob

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4243

Hero of the year – Outlaw Tom for that demolition job at Hexham in April.

…with an honourable mention for the Official Handicapper for dropping him to 93 and giving us such a golden opportunity!

Rob

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

Most of the people I would vote for have been nominated for their various categories.

Poster of the year sees too many candidates to mention and most of the regulars on Daily Lays and Plays would get the nod from me for their varied and interesting contributions.

Not wishing to offend anybody by leaving them out but to keep it short my choice this year was between Venture To Cognac for his hard work and Nathan Hughes for his tireless enthusiasm. Both gents to speak to on this forum and would be deserving winners.

VTC puts in excellent previews and does sterling work on the competitions but just shading it for me this year with his Hitler pastiche is Nathan. Many a time on the forum I’ve felt like jacking it in, wondering if anyone is actually reading what I write and then along comes Nathan with something to say that cheers me up. From the Starmix challenges to kind words of support, he makes you feel welcome here and for that reason he is my BBC Sports Personality Of The Year, Venture To Cognac second and Ryan Moore third.

Thanks to everyone who threw my hat into the ring but plenty of others deserve it more.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

Keep them coming
    So far we have

Poster

VTC, SteveCaution, Nathan Hughes, Betlarge, rob north, Stilvi, Ricky Lake, Jollyp, Steeplechasing

Flat Jockey

Pat Smullen, Richard Hughes, Ryan Moore, James Doyle, Joe Fanning

Jump Jockey

Barry Geraghty, R Mclernon, AP McCoy, Leighton Aspell

Villian

John Hughes, Wetherby’s/BHA, Ricky Lake, Animal Aid, Irish Turf Club, All involved in cancelation of Tote Ten to Follow

Hero

Sizing Europe, Lady Cecil + Noble Mission, Dessie Hughes, California Chorme, Victory Gunner, Toby Balding, Outlaw Tom

Flat Horse

Sole Power, Tiggy Wiggy, The Grey Gatsby, Noble Mission, Methaaly, Frankel, Toast of New York, Taghrooda

Jump Horse

Hurricane Fly, Faugheen, Sire De Grugy, Balthazar King

Flat Trainer

Richard Hannon, Eddie Lyam, David O’Meara, John Gosden, Criquette Head.

Jumps Trainer

Willie Mullins, David Pipe, Jonjo O’Neill, Richard Newland, Veneita Williams

Owner

Mrs S Ricci, JP McManus, David Johnson

One to Watch 2015

Epicuris, Tell Us More, Cam Hardie, Convoy, Postponed, John Best, Lady Correspondent

Journalist

Kevin Blake, Newsboy Dave Yates, Guardian Racing Team, Nancy Sexton, Alistar Down

Broadcaster

Gay O’Brien, Matt Chapman, Steve Mellish, Lydia Hislop

Commentator

Simon Holt, Ian Bartlett, Malcolm Tomlinson

Racecourse

Ascot, Galway, Beverley, Newbury, Newmarket, Happy Valley, Towcester

Riding Performance

Paul Townend – Boston Bob, Melling Chase, Aintree
    Frankie Dettori – Olympic Glory, Prix Foret, Longchamp
    Ryan Moore – The Grey Gatsby, Irish Champion, Leoparstown
    Jan Faltejsek – Knockara Beau, Cleeve Hurdle, Cheltenham
    James Doyle – Noble Mission, Champion Stakes, Ascot
    Pat Smullen – Short Squeeze, Clipper Logistics Stakes, York

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

Hoping to get mine in tomorrow Nathan been busy putting up the tree and decs this weekend thank goodness RedRum totted up the compy for me this weekend :P :wink: .

I would like to nominate yourself and VTC.

You Nathan because of your wicked sense of humour, hard work on the Cheltenham and Ascot Compys and generosity with the Starmix Challenge and prize that you put up in our competition on Saturdays. VTC for all that he does especially the 10 to Follow Competition that I just missed the deadline on :( :mrgreen: and also his sense of humour…I love reading Steve Caution’s posts and if there was a nomination for photographer of the year it would go to Cormack with his collection of fantastic shots that he takes when he goes to the races…to many to chose you’re all good. :wink: :mrgreen:

I’ll do the other bits tomorrow Nathan :D
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

*Poster of the Year

Nathan Hughes & VTC – can chose both as already nominated..good luck you two.

*Flat jockey of the Year

Ryan Moore

*Jump jockey of the Year

Richard Johnson

*Villain of the Year

Daily Mirror
    (re: the unforgivable publication of the demise of Wigmore Hall)

*Hero of the Year

Gordon Lord Byron

*Flat Horse of the Year

Treve

*Jumps Horse of the Year

Silviniaco Conti as Sire de Grugy already nominated

*Flat Trainer of the Year

Richard Hannon Jnr

*Jumps Trainer of the Year

Donald McCain

*Owner of the Year

The Preston Family & Friends Ltd – Sire de Grugy

*One To Watch in 2015

Highland Reel (2000 Guineas or Derby)

*Racing Journalist of the Year

Pricewise

*Racing Broadcaster of the Year

Matt Chapman

*Commentator of the Year

Simon Holt

*Racecourse of the Year

Newmarket

*Riding Performance of the Year

Daryl Jacob on Dawalan last Saturday at Aintree
    5 lengths off the pace at the last, sprouts wings and wins by 3/4 length.

ricky lake
    ricky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Must be some kind of record …nominated for Poster and Villain of the year ….I blame that phuggin Gamble 8)

My Humble donations are as follows

Poster of the Year ….Nathan and Alan Potts…both brilliant

Jockey Ryan Moore

Villain . Bha …appointing a bookie to run things

One to watch ….Gamble ….he’s ghost hunting at present

Ghost of Rob V
    Ghost of Rob V
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

Poster of the Year

– Stevecaution. A prolific, judicious and tenacious poster. No big race debate/topic would be complete without him. If he was a horse, he’d be Giant’s Causeway.

Flat jockey of the Year

– Andrea Atzeni.

Jump jockey of the Year

– A P Mccoy.

Villain of the Year

– Khalid Abdullah for retiring Kingman.

Hero of the Year

– St Nicholas Abbey! A fine warrior. He won and warmed our hearts and fought hard for his life until the end. A true equine hero in my eyes.

Flat Horse of the Year

– Kingman!

Jumps Horse of the Year

– Sire De Grugy.

Flat Trainer of the Year

– John Gosden.

Jumps Trainer of the Year

– Jonjo O’Neill.

Owner of the Year

– Mr Paul Smith.

One To Watch in 2015

– Sign Of A Victory. This horse appears to be going under the radar. Take notice.

Racing Journalist of the Year

– Alastair Down.

Racing Broadcaster of the Year

– Lydia Hislop.

Commentator of the Year

– Simon Holt.

Racecourse of the Year

– York.

Riding Performance of the Year

– James Doyle on Noble Mission in the Champion Stakes.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4243

Commentator of the Year –

Richard Hoiles

, right up there with the best as ever.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20804

if there was a nomination for photographer of the year it would go to Cormack with his collection of fantastic shots that he takes when he goes to the races…to many to chose you’re all good. :wink: :mrgreen:

I take it Jac you didn’t see the one Drone sent in of himself from the late 60’s. Cant believe how well he is doing at his current age of 117……. :mrgreen:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lxvvc6.jpg

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

edinahib
    • Total Posts 198

Poster of the year for me is most people who post on the forum. Such a delight to come on a site where we are all enthusiastic fans of the game and some great trips down memory lane are my favourites.
    Jump jockey of the year would be Davy Russell for me . Didn’t throw a hissy fit when he lost the gigginstown gig and his gold cup win was such a fantastic day for him and his trainer. So consistent especially in big races.
    Villain of the year is any trainer who give out info after the event which had punters known about would have altered their bets.
    Jump horse of the year has to be the fly.. Probably won’t be fully appreciated until he retires but his record of grade ones is amazing and his comeback win over jeski is what we watch the racing for.
    Flat trainer of the year I will go for roger varian. Not everybody’s cup of tea but a great one for getting his horses ready for the big day.
    Hero of the year Is michael winters. Can’t understand a word he says but his antics watching his horses at the finish are just brilliant. A most underrated trainer to boot.
    Jumps trainer of the year has to be willie Mullins who I know has the firepower but just seems to have a conveyor belt of top class horses.
    Owner of the year Is frank Gillespie owner of the grey gatsby. Great to see a not so big owner have a superstar horse.
    Flat horse of the year is Australia. Don’t think he got the credit he deserved and his international win was one of my fav races of the year.
    Racing broadcaster of the year is shared between Garry obrien and the incomparable Matt chapman who make atr a joy to watch when they are on.
    Finally Journalist of the year has to be Kevin Blake who is so good to listen to and more often than not picks a winner at a decent price.

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8628

if there was a nomination for photographer of the year it would go to Cormack with his collection of fantastic shots that he takes when he goes to the races…to many to chose you’re all good. :wink: :mrgreen:

I take it Jac you didn’t see the one Drone sent in of himself from the late 60’s. Cant believe how well he is doing at his current age of 117……. :mrgreen:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2lxvvc6.jpg

I think Drone deserves a nomination from the TRF Preservation Society for looking in such good spirits…. :D :wink: :mrgreen:

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5002

You’re a cruel, cruel boy Nathaniel. As I mentioned when first posting that photo: this is what a lifetime worrying about odds & percentages does to you…be warned :shock:

It was my 118th birthday yesterday; one shared with John Milton and Donny Osmond, both of whom are much older than me

Had you posted this fine study of me in my louche pomp,

deshabille

in planter’s orders then my 25 votes for ‘poster of the year’ would have been cast your way

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/01/31/arts/book2/book2-articleInline.jpg

As it is I would like to nominate

Grimes

He hasn’t posted much at all actually but his screeds are beautifully wrought and compellingly strange

Remember Me

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.