The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF Awards 2009 – Nominations thread

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF Awards archive 2016 TRF Awards TRF Awards 2009 – Nominations thread

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

[quote="cormack15

OWNER OF THE YEAR
    Ballydoyle, DSJP Partnership, David Parry Racing, Harry Findlay, Alan (APRacing) Potts, Princess Haya of Jordan

Got to question Harry Findlay being put up for owner of the year, what horses does he own? His mother owns plenty including Denman but I don’t see Sheikh Mohammed being classed as the owner of Princess Haya’s horses.

I would like to nominate Lydia Hislop as broadcaster of the year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6011

May I also nominate "Paul Ostermeyer" as poster of the year?

Yes, of the more recent influx Paul O would get my vote too

Must also mention Andrew Hughes who rarely posts on ‘Horse Racing’ any more but his musings on cricket in the backwater of ‘General Sports’ are invariably interesting and well written

Carlisle course of the year for no other reason than they’ve been running all-chase cards for a while now. Another attractive card due on Sunday

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

"yeats":3fobv3o5 wrote:

Got to question Harry Findlay being put up for owner of the year, what horses does he own? His mother owns plenty including Denman but I don’t see Sheikh Mohammed being classed as the owner of Princess Haya’s horses.

I would like to nominate Lydia Hislop as broadcaster of the year.

Yeats,

2 completely different cases. If we went along with that hypothesis, John Magnier doesn’t own any horses either..

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Horse of the year : NH Denman

reason : he won me a lot of money and moreover put his more illustrious and revered stablemate well and truly in his place, as I boasted he would do months before the big clash at Cheltenham.

Flat : Zarkava

Class personified, and the best filly I’ve seen since Allez France.

Jockey : Hayley Turner.

Her improvement has been remarkable and she is now every bit as good as many of her male counterparts.

Poster of the year.

The irrepressible Fists of Fury.

I enjoy his posts and just love it when he gets up others’ noses. Sometimes contentious, but never dull. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

• Total Posts 1415

Agree with Himself. Fist Of Fury has to be nominated for poster of the year. Never a dull moment and never sits on the fence.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Please feel free to add your own nominees

Participant
    • Total Posts 6011

Please feel free to add your own nominees

Okay Prufrock as this is obviously a deadly serious matter, with strictly no chit-chat allowed, I will ‘officially’ nominate:

Poster of the year: Andrew Hughes Rarely posts on ‘Horse Racing’ any more but his musings on cricket in the backwater of ‘General Sports’ are invariably interesting and well written

Course of the year: Carlisle For no other reason than they’ve been running all-chase cards for a while now. Another attractive card due on Sunday

Hope that meets with your satisfaction
    :roll:

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Indeed it does. As did your previous post. Himself possibly hadn’t grasped that point, however, and was repeating names that had been nominated already rather than saving himself the bother.

Hope that meets with your satisfaction. :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32177

The shortlist for poster of the year should be a long list with the talent of contributions on the forum. 8)

I don’t post much on the horse racing section either because my knowledge of the sport is terrible but that’s why i joined because out of all the racing forums i checked out, i found this one to be the most informative, fun and friendly one on the net and i feel i understand the sport alot better now since becoming a member, were like one big family.

Andrew Hughes for me would certainly get non horseracing poster of the year if there was such a thing.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Indeed Pru –

This thread is for nominations – if someone has already been nominated it’s pointless doign so again. You’ll all have the chance to vote AND give your reasons later on.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

What will happen if there is more than 10 nominations for any one category because the poll can only handle 10 candidates? The only way to ensure that the 10 most popular candidates are on the ticket is by selecting those with the most nominations on this thread.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Very true David.

In case it goes to a vote, I’d like to nominate Drone for his all-round input in a number of sections, and for his mastery of whimsy.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Would i get mugged for suggesting Tommo as commentator of the year?? He’s not that bad at commentating and does make a dull all-weather card at Lingfield sound exciting… :D

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

Surely Fists of Fury should be nom’d.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Very true David.

In case it goes to a vote, I’d like to nominate Drone for his all-round input in a number of sections, and for his mastery of whimsy.

On previous years’ evidence it’s only really been the Poster of the Year that has frequently had as many as or more prospective nominees than the 10 maximum, prudent selection from Corm helping to keep the other awards to smaller shortlists.

It was very generous of Nathan to mention me earlier, especially after I ballsed up on swapping phone numbers ahead of the Taunton visit such that none of the rest of us could find him on the day – my bad.

However, I am quite happy to retire my title without nomination this time around if it means 10 other strong candidates can vie for honours, and I’m pretty sure there are that many. Although I don’t think I’ve mentioned him en passant so far, my fellow Pantheist (I think) and wordsmith Drone would certainly be one of those 10 as far as I’m concerned.

I was astonished and flattered to get the nod last year, but let’s see who else I can help astonish this.

Cheers,

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I was astonished and flattered to get the nod last year, but let’s see who else I can help astonish this.

I’ve never seen a vote-grab on this scale, since Dubya landed Florida.

:mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

In my defence Pru – I was merely killing two birds with one stone.

That’s my plea and I’m sticking to it. :lol:

Ignorance is indeed bliss… full ! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.