The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

TRF Awards 2009 – Nominations thread

Home Forums Archive Topics TRF Awards archive 2016 TRF Awards TRF Awards 2009 – Nominations thread

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Following our successful stab at our very own awards last December we, somewhat inevitably, have decided to make an annual thing of it.

Following last year’s format this thread will be open until next Wednesday (4th December) which gives everyone a week to propose nominations. I’ll then be the arbitrer in deciding the final nominee list, after which we’ll have a two week voting period before winners are announced.

As a starting point to the nominations process the recent meet-up of the Southern faction of TRF included a general banging together of heads which resulted in the following lists.

Please feel free to add your own nominees, along with reasoning.

HORSE OF THE YEAR
    <b>Flat: </b>Henrythenavigator, New Approach, Raven’s Pass, Yeats, Zarkava
    <b>Jumps:</b> Denman, Inglis Drever, Katchit, Master Minded, Voy Por Ustedes

JOCKEY OF THE YEAR
    <b>Flat: </b>William Buick, Ryan Moore, Johnny Murtagh, David Probert, Hayley Turner
    <b>Jumps: </b>Paddy Brennan, Sam Thomas, Ruby Walsh

TRAINER OF THE YEAR
    <b>Flat: </b>Ralph Beckett, Jim Bolger, John Gosden, Aidan O’Brien, Sir Michael Stoute
    <b>Jumps:</b> Alan King, Paul Nicholls, Nigel Twiston-Davies

OWNER OF THE YEAR
    Ballydoyle, DSJP Partnership, David Parry Racing, Harry Findlay, Alan (APRacing) Potts, Princess Haya of Jordan

RACECOURSE OF THE YEAR
    Ascot, Fontwell, Goodwood, Musselburgh, Santa Anita, Wincanton

COMMENTATOR OF THE YEAR
    Richard Hoiles, Simon Holt, John Hunt, Stewart Machin, Lee McKenzie, Mark Slater, Malcolm Tomlinson

RIDE OF THE YEAR
    Ryan Moore on Conduit (Santa Anita), Frankie Dettori on Raven’s Pass (Santa Anita), Sam Thomas on Denman (Gold Cup), Royston Ffrench on Sadeek (Doncaster)

BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR
    Sean Boyce, Gary O’Brien, Steve Mellish, Alex Steedman

JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR
    David Ashforth, Alan Lee, Chris McGrath, Sue Montgomery

ONE TO WATCH FOR 2009
    Tony Ennis (esp. in his Racetech commentary role), Ffos Las racecourse, Alan Fleming, Rhys Flint, Ryan Mania

VILLAIN OF THE YEAR
    BBC TV, Paul Blockley, William Derby, Dean McKeown

HERO OF THE YEAR
    Would you believe we struggled to think of any? Maybe Anthony Knott…

POSTER OF THE YEAR (excluding votes for each other!)
    AngloGerman, APRacing, Davidjohnson, Grasshopper, Maxilon 5, Robnorth

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Other nominations (from the ‘TRF Southerners thread’) –

Prufrock –
    Could you consider the following supplementaries (I realise you can’t please everyone):

Journalist of The Year: Greg Wood
    Racecourse of The Year: Kempton

I will also be nominating the following for Hero of The Year in my own end-of-year blog awards: Keith Reveley, for being almost alone among trainers in refusing to put narrow self interest ahead of the public good when asked about 48-hour decs; that guy who gave the kiss of life on the gallops in Lambourn (will dig out his name at some stage); and Sean Boyce for his McKeown studio interview.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Nathan Hughes –
    Jeremy, last years winner of poster of the year Mr Grayson your good self should surely be on the shortlist to defend your crown?

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Aaronizneez –

Racecourse of The Year

I will mention Towcester who are still offering free entry and car parking and when I’ve visited are still attracting large crowds and 20-25 bookmakers to choose from. They also have an adequate number of bar staff and I usually do well there ! Pleasant surroundings, easy to get to and a choice of nearby pubs to choose from for a pre races beverage.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

thedarkknight’

I’m sure there are plenty of more deserving candidates for the Villain of the Year, with JIm Bolger being a name that instantly springs to mind,[/b]

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Firefox

Tony Gordon?

(I think nominated for VILLIAN)

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

thedarkknight

Hankin is a decent shout and Graham Cunningham should definitely be in either or both of the journalist/broadcaster categories

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’ll second J.Bolger as the villain.

Jumps jockey – AP McCoy

One to watch (very carefully) 2009 – Dean McKeown

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Other nominations (from the ‘TRF Southerners thread’) –

Prufrock –
    that guy who gave the kiss of life on the gallops in Lambourn (will dig out his name at some stage)

Good shout, Pruf – it was Tom Lovell-Stagg.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Commentator of the year
    The one and only RICHARD ELOQUENT HOILES.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Peter Naughton – Villian of the year

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

May I also nominate "Paul Ostermeyer" as poster of the year?

I have never met the chap but have been impressed by his knowledge and civility. Typically, he started a thread yesterday about the difficulty of travelling to Newbury this weekend, which makes a nice contrast to the me-me-me threads that seem to abound elsewhere. He is in danger of giving forums a good name.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

HORSE OF THE YEAR
    Flat: Zarkava. You could find some holes in everything that ran at Group1 level this year except this filly. Bulletproof. Superb.
    Jumps: Denman. Bare Knuckle Fighter, he whipped them all. The National Hunt BOSS of 2008.

JOCKEY OF THE YEAR
    Flat: Kirsty Milczarek. Strong, tactically aware, horses respond to her. She has the lot imo. Only 16 winners behind Hayler Turner, an impressive strike rate and a punters goldmine. I’d put her up on a Group 1 horse in a heartbeat. Good year for Callan, Hannigan, Moore and Murtagh.
    Jumps: Tony McCoy. Without peers in jumps racing, almost peerless by an sporting measure.

TRAINER OF THE YEAR
    Flat: John Best. Group 1 winners in the UK and USA, a testament to his talent as both a trainer and a businessman. Some of the Newmarket mob could learn a lot from him. Speaking of Newmarket another excellent year for the peerless Sir Michael, Jim Bolger would get my vote except for the Epsom saga, and of course Ballydoyle, although strangely enough they might feel a bit disappointed given how the second half of the season panned out for them.
    Jumps: Paul Nicholls, say no more.

OWNER OF THE YEAR
    Ballydoyle.

RACECOURSE OF THE YEAR
    Didnt visit one in 2008, although Exeter deserve great credit for producing decent prizemoney and thus cards for their Sunday meetings.

COMMENTATOR OF THE YEAR
    Richard Hoiles – The breadth of detail in his commentaries is whats most impressive, keep it up in 2009 Richard! Commentary of the year goes to the superb Simon Holt in the Queen Mother. An excellent year for John Hunt who is ready for the terrestrial mainstream and Stuart Machin was also impressive.

RIDE OF THE YEAR
    Cant remember the horse (anyone?) but it was a McCoy ride for JP around one of the gaffs in the pouring rain with the horse off the bridle after about 1/2 a mile, needless to say the champ wasnt giving up….

BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR
    Nick Luck, another very good year for him. He combines an element of theatre with a growing knowledge of the game, its an unusual mix but it works. Sean Boyce a very close second, his interviews with Dean Mc Keown were the time EVER I’ve experienced a member of the racing media take on an ¨insider¨ as Boycie did. Pundits, Steve Mellish, his form analysis just makes sense to me and Andy Constantinou, the gem mostly hidden away on Timeform radio, when he talks I listen!

JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR
    Greg Wood – Superb year from a journo who covers it all, be it the Betfair Forum, Corruption, Punters Rights etc…etc..etc..essential reading imo.

ONE TO WATCH FOR 2009
    Kirsty Milczarek followed a close second by Ryan Mania

VILLAIN OF THE YEAR
    Cheating owners, trainers and jockeys who continue to turn punters away from the sport and bite the hand that feeds them at the same time

HERO OF THE YEAR
    Mick Fitzgerald. Must be absolutely gutted to not be riding what Henderson has at the moment. Has picked himself up and made the best of his situation, I wish him well in 2009

POSTER OF THE YEAR (excluding votes for each other!)
    Robnorth. Northsnotes are a superb account of the Northern racing scene, what can I say except job very well done Rob! Maxilon 5 gets post of the year vote from me for his excellent description of his life as a full time gambler that appeared in the Lounge section around last January I think. Also commendations to Glenn for keeping the industry side of things to the fore and I reckon Andrew Hughes is a very talented writer (pity he doesnt post more)

Overrated horse of the year…Serial loser Bankable…say no more

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

enthusiastically seconded Pru.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I have never met the chap but have been impressed by his knowledge and civility. Typically, he started a thread yesterday about the difficulty of travelling to Newbury this weekend, which makes a nice contrast to the me-me-me threads that seem to abound elsewhere. He is in danger of giving forums a good name.

Agree. Also Pauls website is well worth a visit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Agree. Also Pauls website is well worth a visit.

Excellent to see PaulO getting some well-deserved peer approval outwith the four of us who went racing with him last week. Be assured he is decent, knowledgeable, forthright and genial company as much in real life as in print!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

RACECOURSE OF THE YEAR
    Didnt visit one in 2008, although Exeter deserve great credit for producing decent prizemoney and thus cards for their Sunday meetings.

By the same token I think I’d like to add Carlisle to the mix as well – the quality of the steeplechase programme there in particular has improved significantly in the recent past; and the racing surface, whilst prone to getting deep at times, attracts nary a whiff of complaint for being choppy, false or something it isn’t.

BROADCASTER OF THE YEAR
    Andy Constantinou, the gem mostly hidden away on Timeform radio, when he talks I listen!

Good call – delighted he’s getting gigs on RUK as well now.

gc

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.