The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Trainers travel subsidy

Home Forums Horse Racing Trainers travel subsidy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Can anyone enlighten me if there is any subsidy paid to trainers who take their horses long distances to meetings?

I always have a look at the longest travellers at each meeting and, apart from Mark Johnston who always figures at the southern tracks, there are usually some "small" trainers who take what looks a no-hoper, and turns out to be so, ridiculous distances for class 6 races.

I know a small trainer not too far from me, who is situated in a central location and runs a lot of his at Hamilton, Musselburgh, Brighton, Ffos Las, Kempton (eve) etc. There are equivalent class 5/6 races nearer to home I am sure and I wonder what they get out of travelling those distances with a high percentage of losers.

I am not suggesting any underhand practices at all but I always have sympathy for the staff who are stuck on the road for all those hours with little or no encouraging result at the end of the day – it must surely get tedious at times no matter how much they love the horses.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

no subsidies at all from my experience unless its changed very recently. I think there may have been for trainers sending their horses out to Dubai in the past but no idea if this is still the case.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Certainly subsidies for various overseas race meetings like Dubai etc.

No subsidies for British racing except in exceptional circumstances (think the Shergar Cup used to offer something for travelling reserves).

Some trainers do a deal with their horsebox companies. I know of at least one Newmarket trainer who is able to charge his owners the same price for any racecourse so it doesn’t matter if it’s Ayr or Yarmouth.

Other trainers charge a set price for a track whilst others split the costs between their runners on the box.

cjboy
    • Total Posts 127

For many trainers travel is a profit centre, many charge about £1 a mile for each horse. Send a 4 stall with 4 on board to a pace 250 miles away, and you’ve billed the owners £2000.

We run lorries and a 7.5t wagon would do that trip for more like £500

obiwankenobi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 349

For many trainers travel is a profit centre, many charge about £1 a mile for each horse. Send a 4 stall with 4 on board to a pace 250 miles away, and you’ve billed the owners £2000.

We run lorries and a 7.5t wagon would do that trip for more like £500

Couldn’t agree with you more. 800 for a trip from Somerset to Perth, some trainers are charging around 1.40 per mile and that is a pretty good income! Given that some trainers also charge 70.00 for them to attend the races, you do get a drink bought, so make that a 60 add on. All in all starting a horse under order in the UK seems to average out at about between 400 and 600 pounds for a run within 3 hours of the yard.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.