The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Trainers or Sandwichboards for Bookies?

Home Forums Horse Racing Trainers or Sandwichboards for Bookies?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1048

Last Sunday the Post captured Mr Hannon Jr sporting his Unibet jacket on their stable visit while yesterday the paper captured Mr Skelton dressed in his Ladbrokes jacket. A generation ago prospective owners would run have run a mile from any serious trainer engaged in such crass deportment. Even today I would suggest a great many people would be put off engagement in the sport by such blatant association with the gambling industry. As someone who only relatively recently re-acquainted himself with horseracing I am curious as to how long this kind of marketing has been in practice. Does Aidan O’Brien have a PP jacket or has he a little more class?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3713

Trainers need to have a stable sponsor in order to enable their owners to take advantage of scheme that refunds VAT paid on purchase and training costs.

Non betting companies that got involved in such deals when the option first became available, seemed to find that there was very little commercial benefit from their deals. So in the last decade or so, betting outfits became the only viable option for several bigger stables.

Given the entire sport is subsidised by bookmkaer payments to the Levy Board and to the courses in media rights money, that betting companies regularly sponsor races and also sponsor TV coverage, I’m not sure that a logo on a jacket is a major issue.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1048

Thanks AP for the industry explanation for this form of product placement in horseracing. I’m surprised a multitude of other industries unconnected with the sport aren’t interested in such sponsorships. To many of us who acquainted themselves with horseracing in the eighties and who viewed the bookmakers as if not the “enemy” at least very much as a remote third party, such association just doesn’t sit well and furthermore looks tacky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31975

I don’t see anything wrong with it at all tbh.
    Even before bookmakers logos were worn by trainers, there was a time when Aidan was never seen without a Coolmore baseball cap with the name of some sire.

Value Is Everything
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.