The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Total Beginner here

Home Forums Horse Racing Total Beginner here

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Nolimits
    • Total Posts 5

I’m posting here looking for advice. I’ve done a search and couldn’t find a similar topic done before. Basically, most of my life I’ve had no interest in Horse racing and to be honest thought it was quite boring. After joining betfair a while ago I started placing a few bets and began catching the bug. Now I want to try to learn everything I can about it. What I’m looking for is a book that’ll give me the basics, hopefully the lowdown on the likes of trainers and jockeys as well. I know absolutely nothing about horse racing except I’m not great at picking winners :cry: . I don’t think I’ve ever so much as looked at a racing page in the paper let alone know how to read form. Until recently my only experience of horse racing was picking a horse in the grand national based solely on his name (I was a kid).

I found a book called "Betting on Horse Racing for Dummies" I get the idea from the review of it that its mostly american based. Would this particulary matter, are the basics universal even if I’d still have to learn more my self? I’d appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

Ian
    • Total Posts 1415

Can’t help you on books really but one bit of advice I would give you is don’t bother picking up newspapers. Watch races and form your own opinion of horses. Trust your eyes not what a newspaper tipster tells you.

At the end of the day whatever book you read it won’t pick which horses you should back its going to come down to your own judgement.

Understand racing from top to bottom. Understand the structure and pattern of races from Group 1 (highest class) right down to sellers and claimers.

If you are going into the game for the first time concentrate on 2yo maiden races. There you can watch horses and follow their progress you can learn everything about them from their first stride onto a racecourse. I think you’ll learn more doing that than you would another way.

Just my opinion of course.

As far as betting goes – keep your own records of every single bet you make. Set yourself a betting bank and work within your means don’t go mad and don’t bet under the odds (a horse you think should be a bigger price than it is).

Nolimits
    • Total Posts 5

Thanks for the advice, esp the 2yo maidens. I’m not especially looking for tips be them from papers or anywhere else I’m more looking for how it works, really basic stuff, I have no idea about handicapping for example (well I know its about adding weight to the saddle). Also appreciate the advice re setting my self a bank, its not something I expect to have a problem with I find it easy to walk away.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8992

Hi No Limits – I’d suggest reading the forum as often as you can!

There are quite a few good books. Best thing would be to understand the basics. Watching a lot of racing on TV will help.

Nolimits
    • Total Posts 5

Hi No Limits – I’d suggest reading the forum as often as you can!

There are quite a few good books

. Best thing would be to understand the basics. Watching a lot of racing on TV will help.

Anything you’d recommend?
    I’ll be checking out this forum a lot. I guess a lot of it I’ll just pick up as I go along and learn to watch out for certain horses, just seems really daunting at the moment and I’d like something I can get my teeth into that doesn’t seem too passive.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Braddock’s Complete Guide to Horse Race Selection is a pretty good beginners guide, I found.

Nolimits
    • Total Posts 5

Braddock’s Complete Guide to Horse Race Selection is a pretty good beginners guide, I found.

I’ve got a copy ordered, thanks to you and everyone else.

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Watch as much Racing as you can.

Make notes on anything that catches your eye.

Trust your own judgement.

Accept that losing is much easier to do than winning.

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Welcome to the great game. I believe we started with the same book. If it is Rich Eng is the Author–

Can’t tell you much about horse flesh or picking winners–But I will give you a tip on the state of mind.

Don’t get to high when things are going well–don’t get to low when things are bleak

From One Newbie to another-Best Luck with your racing & your punts.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Always bet within your means and tread carefully before deciding to back horses with names like Rainbow View and Youmzain – and jockeys with the names Jamie and Spencer coupled together. They can be costly. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

BUD
    • Total Posts 98

Always bet within your means and tread carefully before deciding to back horses with names like Rainbow View and Youmzain – and jockeys with the names Jamie and Spencer coupled together. They can be costly. :wink:

LMYankee Butt Off :D :D

slipperytoad
    • Total Posts 419

Start off wth

One Hundred Hints for Better Betting

– Mark Cotton

Betting Flat Handicaps

– Jon Gibby

next

Money Secrets at the Race Track

– Barry Meadows

Then bet using the following maxim

In order to make money betting on sports, you must either have information that is not being used by the betting public, or you must have a superior ability to process the information that is public

enjoy :wink:

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 29194

If you want to just have a few bets for pleasure, just enjoy the sport and don’t bother to look in to things too much.

If you want to know about racing or want to make a profit; then buy some form books. For different stallions and trainers, then the "Timeform Statistical Review" is a good book. £35.

If you can find an old book called "Betting the Tmeform Way", it’s well worth a look. Try ebay for that one.

Value Is Everything
    Nolimits
    • Total Posts 5

Thanks to the last two posters in particular for the book recommendations. I don’t plan to try and become a professional gambler or make any real money out of it, its for pleasure but I still feel I’m well behind even average knowledge of the business and want to bring my self up to speed as quickly as possible.

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

try going to some low key racing , like Lingfield on a wed , get close to the horses , watch the beting and the racing , get a feel for whats going on , you will probably learn more from a few visits than all the books put together , however well intentioned they appear

tr

ust your own judgment always

, never listen to anyone else , go with your gut , and learn to watch racing without any bet involved , then you will learn to read races like a pro in a short period of time

good luck and enjoy it , thats the most important thing

cheers

Ricky

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Ignore anyone who says you should never back a Godolphin horse. It’s just a weird thing to say.

Young Mick
    • Total Posts 203

In my honest opinion. Forget what anyone one here says.

Dont get attached to jockeys

Dont get attached to horses

Dont get attached to trainers

You have what many of us dream of. A complete new start.

Dont follow horses. Look at things in a different view,

Watch races, if you see a horse that to you could be under performing or you think can do a lot better than there win suggest, note it down and if it fits what you think it needs next time out forget it

You need to look at horses as statistics. I don’t and i doubt anyone here 100% does, but its the only way to truely bet with your brain.

Ask anyone on here and I can guarantee they have backed a horse way too much than they should. I LOVE kauto star, he has won me thousands literally, but eventually he will decline but I will still back him. On a bad note.. I backed a horse called Henrythenavigator last year. Watch all his three year old runs if you have the chance and then watch the QEII… I had my biggest ever bet, risked sooooo much and he was beat, by a horse that finished behind him at least twice…

I backed him at 8/13..

Remember there is no such thing as a certainty.

Hope this helps. I wish I could start all over again!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.