The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tony Calvin on the Betfair glitch

Home Forums Horse Racing Tony Calvin on the Betfair glitch

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8818

Missed that interview (on my way home from Kelso). According to reports it appears that Calvin was unconvincing and failed to address some of the key questions.

Anyone see it?

Factorman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 391

He tried to slip into the convo that a “junior” member of staff was at the helm during the race. Wasn’t doing too bad up to that point.

Sounds to me that there is either a) still confusion as to how this happened or b) they know what’s happened and are trying to fudge an excuse together.

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1122

Have to say it looked a difficult half hours work for Tony Calvin and not the most convincing at all!

Suppose it was never going to be an easy and comfortable time for him though…. and I reckon the next time he speaks and gives the full details like he said he would will be much more revealing…

Hard to know what to make of the comment about a ‘junior’ being in a position of control of the race….can you imagine that person was you and you saw what was going on….what would you have done in that same instance, pulled the plug and suspended the race 90 seconds in?

Would have been an awful position to find yourself in whether a junior or senior member of staff….obviously with the benefit of hindsight now the obvious thing was to suspend immediately…..but…..at that moment, this was something that had never happened before so was a huge call for whoever was monitoring at the time…

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2937

Irrelevant whether it was a "junior" in charge, why should punters carry the can for that.

I notice Calvin carefully evaded stating what the "layers" actually limit was? Chapman should have pressed him more on that.

To say all bets would have been voided if the horse had lost is highly questionable, easy to say after the event but who would have complained if V L V had fell at the second last?
    Everyone would have got a fair price and it would it have been settled as normal imo.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8818

Not sure what they mean by ‘junior’ but I wouldn’t want my money being managed/controlled by anyone other than a fully-trained and experienced member of their team, or someone under the direct supervision of one.

Life changing money at stake sometimes on these races. Blaming a ‘junior’ doesn’t cut it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.