The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tommy Whittle 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Tommy Whittle 2020

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Very tricky this…..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/23/haydock/2020-12-19/771820

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/tommy-whittle-handicap-chase/winner

Didn’t want to have an early bet, especially when I genuinely like all of these mentioned…..

Hill Sixteen – Looks a worthy favourite to me. He broke my hear a few weeks back when he nabbed Lil Rockerfella on the line at Newbury. I think Rocker is back to his best this year, and he was chucked in, so the way Hill Sixteen came at the end, really impressed me, and I thought he had loads more to give.

Roll Again – Nice win last time, and hardly hammered for it, so quite possible he can follow up quickly.

Crixus’s Escape – I bet him at Aintree in October, and it was a bet I’d rather forget, he was terrible. Much better at Ayr next time. So much better, that trainer was hauled into The Stewards. I do like this trainer, she has her moments, and this horse, who looked very promising as a youngster, might just have more to offer. Seriously considered him at 9’s.

Pop Rockstar – Ran a shocker here last time, but weighted to run well, and yard back among the Saturday winners.

Sam’s Adventure – Bit of an unreliable type, but he’s good when he gets it together. This is about his level, and his run here in November offered plenty of encouragement. Running a nice quiet race at the back of the pack, when brought to a standstill by a faller. Shaved another couple of pounds for that, and I think that 20’s is just far too big. Encouraging that Brian Hughes is booked, and he looks overpriced to me.

Sutton Manor – Had high hopes for him when with Gordon Elliot, but it never really happened for him. Now with Lucinda Russell, he’s not had that encouraging a start, and he took a pearlier last time. Before that fall though, he was travelling a lot lot better, and I reckon he’d have been involved. Chucked in if back to anything near his best, and a massive 33’s. Seriously considering him as a backup.

I’m torn with Crixus’s Escape, and Sutton Manor. I think they’re both value right now, and I could see me buckling with Sutton before final decs, but for now…..

Sam’s Adventure 20’s

Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 499

I think that I’ll cover two of them that you mentioned Bob, Pop Rockstar and Crixuss Escape.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4919

There are a few that are upwardly mobile here but the one for me is LORD NAPIER. Dropping steadily in the handicap before finishing second to a apparently well underrated winner in a Chepstow swamp last time. All this one’s wins have come with cut in the ground and if Tellwrong is reporting ‘Heavy’ then it must be severely testing. At 12/1 (14/1 in a place) this one looks decent value to me.

waroftheroses
    Participant
    • Total Posts 60

Rob, I’ve joined you with Lord Napier, for the reasons given by you. I’ve taken 12-1, and I think that he’ll go well.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 986

VTC I was on at 100-1 that day he sutton fell , it was a fair bit from home but he was traveling so well …..anyway I’ve played Lord Napier the last few times he,s ran , he,s a careful jumper but was a classy hurdler and if he can jump more confidently header got a chance

BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8104

Ive missed the boat a bit for the fancy prices taken by a few shrewdies
    here, but 17/2 for Lord Napier still looks a bit of value.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2712

Sojourn should handle the bad ground better than some so have gone for him ew.

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 299

I’ll go with Roll Again at 11-1, but this a tricky looking race

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 560

I also like Sam’s Adventure here. Not the most reliable, but the trip and ground should suit him. And on a fair mark when he is on a goinng day.

Sam’s Adventure 14/1 EW for me

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 986

I’ve played Lord Napier , ground will help , just need a good round of jumping

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3807

WD VtC and DBR, and Mike with the ew.

Hope that loose horse that took a nasty looking fall plus the jockey who was down are OK- he looked in pain poor chap.

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 560

Well, Sam’s Adventure had to be waken up at the start, but after that he really was on a going day, great!

Well done Venture, at a nice price as well!

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2712

Ta Green. Wd winners.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16271

Thanks Grass, and well done to you as well DBR

Edit
    Apologies, wouldn’t have posted on here after the race, if I had known about poor Roll Along.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.