The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tom Dascombe

Home Forums Horse Racing Tom Dascombe

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Access to the Owen and Black cash, surely a good move. He’s always had to sell his best 2yo’s up to now, presumably he’ll be able to keep more if not all of them under this new arrangement. That will surely make him competitive at Group Level with 3yo’s where he can build on his already considerable reputation. After all it wasn’t until Ballydoyle / Coolmore got the financial support from the Sangster syndicates that things really took off for them in the mid 1970’s.

Owens’s move to the scum is another matter entirely. :x

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

From what i gather though, he will be still based at Lambourn, but will travel to his new location 2 or 3 days per week. He will have someone else in charge at Manor House, who will do the day-to-day running of the new venture.

You have to think, the financial backing wouldn’t be a problem and the facilities at Manor House look very good, very modern, and i think the future could be very good for them.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I think its a good move. You can only go so far these days without the financial backing of a larger owner. The split stable thing is an issue though. How would you know which of the two Dascombe stables the runners were coming from? Could be important when considering long travellers etc.

Seagull
    • Total Posts 1708

I wish them well but the interview in the Racing Post leaves a few questions un answered.

Bert has many horses in training with a lot of trainers. Will they all now be going to the Dascombe yards?

There are many trainers that start off well but after a few seasons the results tend to drop to a more modest level. Would it not have been more prudent for Andrew Black to have waited for the Owen/Dascombe partnership to develop before investing a 50% stake into the venture?

With Andrew Black living in on his farm in Surrey a helicopter will be needed to visit his yard in Cheshire on a regular basis.

As Graham Wylie found out this year with his Cheltenham horses having horses trained in the north often means they have more chance of training set backs due to bad weather than they do in Newmarket or Lambourne.

Will the stable become like the Lady Herries yard where there is so much money around that potential owners have to be invited to have horses in training at Anmering Park so in the end its closed to small owners and modest syndicates as it is all family and business associates that have horses with her?

Andrew Black is at least pumping some of his millions into horse racing which is a good thing but to take up the challenge to compete on a weekly basis with Stoute, Gosden, Hills and Hannon etc is a long way off.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I see the odds on Dascombe training either a group 1 winner next season or a classic winner by the end of 2011 are pretty short (7-2 and 33-1 respectively I think). I cant believe he’d reach that level in two years given how far off that level Owen is just now and how hard it is to win such races for the smaller stable (and in reality the Dascombe/Owen/Black stable is still a smaller stable when considered alongside Godolphin, Ballydoyle, Stoute, Gosden etc).

Tom
    • Total Posts 205

"From what i gather though, he will be still based at Lambourn, but will travel to his new location 2 or 3 days per week. He will have someone else in charge at Manor House, who will do the day-to-day running of the new venture."

Far from satisfactory in my opinion…

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

On the bright side though, at least Owen has invested in the sport. Its long been known that footballers like to gamble and if Owen could have some success and encourage other wealthy footballers (and they’re only going to get wealthier in the next 5-10 years) to invest in horse racing not gambling then it could be good for the sport.

Perhaps Owen is trying to jump into the top of the sport rather than work his way up via bloodlines. Thats a good paoint though happy…if he had marketed his racing interests to his footy chums it surely wouldn’t have been hard to get an extra £1m for purchase of 5-10 yearlings. Perhaps when he is a retired player he could do this more.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Didn’t think of that! So we need to encourage them to do both!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

What’s ‘far from satisfactory’ about Tom Dascombe remaining in Lambourn for the rest of the season, Tom?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

What’s ‘far from satisfactory’ about Tom Dascombe remaining in Lambourn for the rest of the season, Tom?

I think Tom is implying that Mr Dascombe would be providing a shoddy service to his owners, or giving a ‘far from satisfactory’ one by not being at Manor House on a full time basis and leaving somebody else in charge….or is it the other way round?

:oops:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.