The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tobosa

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Really impressive performance to defy a mark of 104 today. Might not have won, but I think he’d have given the first three plenty to think about. Well worth his place back in top company in my opinion.

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Interesting thought, dj.

I didn’t think he looked that well handicapped today, so to win as he liked was an excellent effort and must push his rating up to around 110+.

I don’t think this sort of figure would have been good enough to trouble any of the main players in the Irish Guineas, but it would certainly earn him his place in the field.

Money on
    • Total Posts 178

That run today was 112 plus imo and wud of seen him arounf 3rd imo

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

As there was only small distances between the first six home in the Guineas would have him no better than seventh. There’s a big difference between beating inferior rivals in an handicap and mixing it with the best in a Group 1.<br>Think they picked the right race though, the only position they would have picked up more prize money in the Guineas was first :o

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

I’m on record as saying the far side in the Guineas are far better than the near side. Pricewise argued about how Tobosa was better then the bare form at Newmarket and I had a hefty EW bet at 8/1. I’m not saying I expected the win but I’m not in the least surprised and the weight of money behind him today suggests connections weren’t either.

He’d have done well to place in Ireland today.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I think the SP of Tobosa and the 9/1 quoted by Pricewise are a tad misleading as regard the ‘weight of money’ behind the horse, given that he was already in to 6/1 at just gone midnight on Friday. Factor in the non-runners and Segal doesn’t look like quite the genius I’m sure the RP wil make him out to be (nice call with Sandrey by the way Tom).

Nevertheless it was a taking performance, coming from a fair distance back to win very easily – no mean feat with the scrimmaging rounding the turn. But I would think that the style of victory was perfectly in keeping with a horse merely ahead of the handicapper, rather than one ready to challenge for Group 1 honours.

It wasn’t a particularly strong race today for my money (Fahey, who couldn’t train Shergar to win a maiden at the minute, having 2 of the first 5 is evidence enough of that), and I wouldn’t expect those behind to set the world alight in the coming weeks. So to say Tobosa would have troubled Cockney Rebel and co. is a bit of a stretch, though there’s no doubting he’s smart.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Don’t know if you remember TDK, but we had him down as clocking a gud un when beating Just Dust at Newmarket last year

Ground against  him next two starts

i backed him FTO (given a bit too much to do  or maybe just needed it) backed him yesterday on strength of  clocking and FTO run

(Edited by empty wallet at 8:14 am on May 27, 2007)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I felt jockey error was behind Tobosa’s defeat at Newmarket on his reappearance.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:56 am on May 27, 2007[br]I felt jockey error was behind Tobosa’s defeat at Newmarket on his reappearance.

<br>I wouldn’t argue David, i got feeling  at time Tobosa should have won

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Quote: from davidjohnson on 9:56 am on May 27, 2007[br]I felt jockey error was behind Tobosa’s defeat at Newmarket on his reappearance.<br>

Wouldn’t be too sure about that, DJ?<br>Prime Defender, as illustrated yesterday, was probably coming to the end of his tether, and Tobosa apparently had loftier targets than the Free Handicap?

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

"I think the SP of Tobosa and the 9/1 quoted by Pricewise are a tad misleading as regard the ‘weight of money’ behind the horse, given that he was already in to 6/1 at just gone midnight on Friday. Factor in the non-runners and Segal doesn’t look like quite the genius I’m sure the RP wil make him out to be "

I don’t think any of the non-runners were less than 20/1 generally, so it shouldn’t be that much of a factor and I was able to get 8/1 – available in three or four places – online before 9am.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.