The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

tipsters

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Who do people think is the best tipster in any paper or on t.v? Do any of them have particular strengths i.e in any code or type of race?

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t think you’ll get a proper answer for this .. if anyone finds a decent tipster or race rating they aren’t going to tell everyone who they are, in public.

I of my personal favourites is The Express ratings .. they seem to be pretty consistent.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

Sam Turner is an acquaintance of mine, so I may be accused of bias, but I believe his record speaks for itself.

He won the Racing Post Naps competition while working for the humble Shropshire Star, was part of the profitable Four Horsemen team in The Sportsman, was well ahead as the short-lived Oddscracker in the same paper and currently sits in third in the Racing Post Naps table as Robin Goodfellow of the Daily Mail.

Most newspaper tipsters are not up to much, but Sam is an exception, IMO.

matty
    • Total Posts 51

The Saturday Daily Mirror guy is superb!!!! :)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’s echo Prufrock’s sentiments re Sam Turner, and he’s a very nice bloke to boot. Fundamentally, newspaper tipsters tend to be talented but disadvantaged by having to tip horses well in advance which is no way to make profit. The Post do a "tipsters’ trainers" section in their tipping spread which is interesting as there has long been a theory that some tipsters are particularly clued up about certain trainers they are acquainted with and should be followed when going nap on runners from those yards.

The cynic in me would point out that there is scant reward in tipping winners for a tabloid and the best inside info is most likely to be kept away from the hoi polloi to maximise profit for the genuine insiders.

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Agree re: Sam Turner (mine’s a pint). He also does free tips/previews for http://www.GG.com. (click the speed ratings link on the left-hand menu).

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Like Prufrock I could also be accused of bias, but in my humble opinion Sam Turner is a class act, and a top man with a wicked sense of humour to boot.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

I’s echo Prufrock’s sentiments re Sam Turner, and he’s a very nice bloke to boot. Fundamentally, newspaper tipsters tend to be talented but disadvantaged by having to tip horses well in advance which is no way to make profit. The Post do a "tipsters’ trainers" section in their tipping spread which is interesting as there has long been a theory that some tipsters are particularly clued up about certain trainers they are acquainted with and should be followed when going nap on runners from those yards.

The cynic in me would point out that there is scant reward in tipping winners for a tabloid and the best inside info is most likely to be kept away from the hoi polloi to maximise profit for the genuine insiders.

Even if I wasn’t too happy with your last post on me. Ditto on everything you said !

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

I think Derek Thompson combines an in-depth knowledge of the form book with the highest level of contacts within the game. I know that if my Derby winner had been kidnapped, I’d be straight on to him to negotiate with the terrorists.

His chippy, upbeat style and erudite conversational skills create a perfect melange of racing information.

And all for £1.50 per minute (peak).

Mounty is also excellent. Although it appears to have stunted his growth.

Mike

Cian
    • Total Posts 81

Value Scope in the Mirror has been producing the goods quite consistently for a while now.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

Betlarge, not for the first time you’ve made me laugh out loud!! Fantastic stuff! :D

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

Mounty is also excellent. Although it appears to have stunted his growth.

Mike

Thanks Mike, ’tis proven that tipping winners can stunt your growth…..and there was me thinking it was excessive mast…..

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

…ication?

Mike

carlisle
    • Total Posts 772

Hi Mounty

there was no chance you could ever blame tipping!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.