The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tipping services…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    dandan
    • Total Posts 199

A chap I know through racing has started a tipping service and is doing rather well so far, making some decent profits. He has bagged a few clients and theyre happy enough so far. Like everyone else he wants more subscribers and the easiest way to go about this seems to be advertising in the racing post along with everyone else; however that costs quite a bit and seems to be a big risk to take. Of course its illegal/inappropriate to advertise on the likes of the betfair forum or other public forums, but Ive read that "the best services dont advertise, as they dont need to"- is it simply by word of mouth, then, that these services exist?<br>          

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I know what you mean, and Lazy is bloody brilliant. I don`t know if you know who I`m on about but he`s very good too, and I think the reason people pay is that you`re guaranteed the service each day, however Lazy doesn`t post every day. He is one of the best form readers I`ve seen though, I`ve the utmost respect for him and he has often saved my bacon in the past. He`s one of the best 3 tipsters I know.

(Edited by dandan at 9:20 pm on Sep. 11, 2005)

Daylight
    • Total Posts 369

dandan,

I would highly recommend you don’t advertise on any forum as it’ll be classed as spam and removed (probably along with your membership) on all forums. He could always pay to advertise online as it’s a lot cheaper than the RP. :biggrin:

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

At the moment, LE is on a run of 22 losing bets.  I’ve been keeping an eye on him.  Maybe he has his moments, but you would need a rather strong will to cope with a losing run like that.  A rather large bank as well.  It includes many e/w bets that have also been out of the frame.  Maybe it’s just a bad spell.  We all have them.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

EC

How many people that follow him get on at that 50/1? Shouting about his skills at that price is surely no different to the Racing Post lauding there Pricewise selection of 13/2 Ashkal Way (SP 2/1) which was available in only one place and where stakes were restricted to a mere £25.

(Edited by davidjohnson at 7:51 pm on Sep. 14, 2005)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Sulking again because someone doesn’t endorse your opinion?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Add modest to the list as well:biggrin:  :cool:

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

Dandan

You say your friend has already got some clients. How did he get them? Is it possible for him to simply do more of that?

Advertising in the Post clearly works for some people. However, it has the problem that it’s the quality of advertising (and your fame) that gets you the clients, not the quality of the tipping.

I’d love to see a start-up tipster have the stones to run a daily advert in the post which is just a free tip and a link to a webpage which is updated daily to show how the tips are doing.

Alternatively, he could run an ad that gives readers a chance to sign up for 10 days of free tips by email. Then, if he does the biz over that period, he could get them to sign up to the service as a paying customer.

Another approach would be to go racing and hand out leaflets with his tips for free. If he had his contact info on it and his tips did well that day, he might pick up some clients.

There are loads of ways to promote a service. I came up with most of these ideas while typing the first 2 paragraphs of my answer.

Interestingly, when I did some very expensive marketing training many years ago, there was a very well known tipster at the seminar.  

I don’t know if he could tip a bucket, but he certainly knew plenty about marketing (he was using direct mail).

Steve

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Where does LE post his tips

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Have read a few of Lazy Excuse’s selections –  obviously its impossible to judge his profitability unless you monitor his work for a long period of time – I do think that his selections appeared well-thought out and the explanation logical, far more so than Pricewise. I did have the sneaking feeling that he might be trying to cover too many races and too many meetings at one time.

I think a lot of what has been called negativity is an understandable defensive reaction – many of us are trying very hard to make a profit and it is an inevitable reaction when we hear that someone else is apparently doing really well. But it shouldn’t be a problem and indeed should spur us to greater efforts – there is room after all for every one on this forum to be successful and make a profit in many different ways.

Equally, I don’t think the comments have been particularly negative – Racing Daily pointed out that Lazy Excuse is on a long losing run at the moment, which was factually correct. It doesn’t mean he is a bad tipster or that EC was wrong to highlight his work.

For my own part, I am more interested in how he makes his selections, and reading his explanations gives an insight into this – whereas reading Pricewise leaves you none the wiser.

Andrew HughesAndrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I’ve already stated I think Lazy Excuse writes decent explanations and is well worth a read – thanks for drawing him to our attention.

Racing Daily
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1364

I too will keep an eye on him.  I have not criticised him in any way.  In fact, I stated that it is inevitable to have the odd losing run.  It would probably be wise to back his selections to incrementally higher stakes on a losing selection.  Start off small, and take them to the cleaners when he does bang one in at good odds.<br>But it would not be a good ploy to take a bank and stake 5% on each selection.  That was more my point.  You would be taking out a second mortgage the house in no time flat  ;)

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1891

I thought LE had a winner or two yesterday, but unless it’s information from a good stable, I can’t understand why anyone would bet blind on even the best tipster’s tips. <br>

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I just seen the replies for this thread- good ideas there Steve. As for Lazy Excuse, all his selections are based on formstudy as far as I know. He doesn`t use "info" of any sort. I`ve wondered for a while about his l.s.p. though, I make far more backing my own selections than backing his blind. However, I`ve learnt a lot from him, his write ups are highly informative and taught me a lot about what factors to look for when selecting a bet. He is probably the best reader of form I know. There`s another guy on there, Hippo, who has gone private and his eye for a winner is fantastic. It appears he has a very broad knowledge of racing and a very strong idea of the bigger picture; he has often selected outsiders with no apparent chance on the book which duly do the business. I must say though, both of them are guilty of selecting some serious short-priced duds! That might sound like nit-pickery but on a number occasions I`ve wondered why one of them selects a 5/2fav being ridden by a dodgy jockey with a number of unexposed types in the race. I`ve tipped some SERIOUS duds myself, really laughable selections, but I`m a value merchant and I prefer big prices to medium stakes over weighing in at short prices. Thats a general rule too, never backing a short priced horse is obviously limiting. I would say to anyone though, check out Lazy`s tips and you`ll learn some stuff from him.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

He is truly excellent and highly consistent. But +15pts in a month to me isn`t earth shattering at all. Tell you what though, I`d employ him as a form reader as he is very, very good. Here`s the best example: check out this link which is Lazy getting the TRICAST up in this years gold cup- now THAT`S what I call sheer class rising to the top for the classiest of races!

http://mboard.infopop.cc/groupee/forums … #771108969

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.