The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time to give sandown meeting the elbow?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time to give sandown meeting the elbow?

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3442

On a slightly different note, I often think the sight of horses slogging through mud offers to the public a worse image than whipping.

The last on TV at Sandown was painful watching

I’m not bothered what it looks like to the public, they’re hardly likely to be watching in the first place unless they like horse racing.

I’m sure it all looks fine and dandy to the naked eye running on firm ground but it does far more damage to the horses over jumps. Horse welfare should be paramount, not what it looks like.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

No idea what J A McGrath is on (although I could make a guess), but his comments about the Cheltenham prize money don’t seem to bear much relation to the facts.

The 2m 4f novice handicap chase at the festival is worth £60,000. The other handicap chases (Byrne Plate, Grand Annual) which are also open to novices at this sort of trip are worth £90,000 each.

And although it’s now become something of a cliche, the facts also suggest that trainers are right to be concerned that a good run in a race like the Scilly Isles will result in a sharp handicap rise. Of course Phil Smith never tires of telling us that horses are not penalised for taking on top class rivals.

But the runner up in the Scilly Isles in 2013, Third Intention was put up 9lbs, and the runner-up in 2011, Captain Chris, was put up 12lbs. And the 2012 race was abandoned!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

When running against good horses in conditions novices – and try their hardest to win – they do seem badly treated. Then again, some that race in this grade seem to get away without exactly going for everything… And these are sometimes let in lightly.

Wonder what mark Ted Veale will get for Cheltenham?
    Hope he’s given at least the same mark as over hurdles.

Another horse last year (hadn’t better name him) I thought was given easy rides before Cheltenham in this grade. But to a degree I do think the handicapper noticed. Connections paid the price, as now the horse doesn’t seem to know what is required. "Eh! I’ve done what was previously required, do you really want me to put my head in front"?

Handicapper needs to take in to account how hard the jockey tried to get close/actually win the race.

Some are flattered by their proximity and should be treated lightly.

Some (though not many) are better than finishing position suggests and should be given more weight than distances indicate.

You can usually tell which is which.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 819

…….Handicapper needs to take in to account how hard the jockey tried to get close/actually win the race……

Shouldn’t that be the job of the Stewards and BHA rather than the handicapper though?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

…….Handicapper needs to take in to account how hard the jockey tried to get close/actually win the race……

Shouldn’t that be the job of the Stewards and BHA rather than the handicapper though?

Sometimes yes Andrew, it is the job of stewards. However, they need a far greater burden of proof. Stewards and BHA can not act just because it was a "poor ride". The handicapper can act even if thinking it totally accidental. Am

not

saying the horse neccessarily should’ve won or been placed anyway; just that given a better ride would’ve been closer, sometimes a lot closer.

Everyone is in acceptance if the winner does it easily the ratings of winner and second should be further apart than distance alone suggests…

But also, when a horse is not persevered with once its chance has gone or ridden less vigorously than others (without the jockey doing anything wrong)… Distance beaten does not in itself show how good the horse is.

Another time the handicapper needs a particularly good view is when a horse is not given the type of ride usually needed to produce its best… Buena Vista!

If the ride is a poor/lenient one (for whatever reason) then allowance should be made in handicapping the next run. I see the handicapper has upped Tap Night just 3 pounds for his third at Cheltenham… not enough. :lol:

Value Is Everything
    Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

I Also, wasn’t there some kind of Champion Hurdle trial on offer? I remember seeing Rooster Booster there.Definitely gone downhill a bit…

This is also going back a fair while but believe the two mile race was originally called the Otley Hurdle. I could be wrong but have a recollection of Jim McGrath having a rant about the race either having to be cancelled or with only a couple of runners when he was at Stratford when it shared coverage with Sandown in the 1970’s or 80’s for an ITV5

Thanks for that, looks like you are spot on. A quick Wiki suggests that what used to be the Oteley Hurdle became the Agfa Hurdle (that’s what it was when Rooster won it), and is now the Contenders Hurdle.

No running took place this year, must have been part of the Tolworth card. But I am 99% certain it used to be part of Sandown’s late Jan/early Feb meeting.

While we’re on the subject, there was also the Agfa Diamond Chase. Has that now morphed into the Masters Chase we saw last Saturday?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3763

There was no Contenders Hurdle this year because all the hurdle races on the Sandown card were abandoned after the inspection on Friday morning due to waterlogging up the home straight – hence the all chase card which took place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

While we’re on the subject, there was also the Agfa Diamond Chase. Has that now morphed into the Masters Chase we saw last Saturday?

Yes, and this was discussed on a recent thread:

The Gainsborough Chase became the Agfa Diamond Chase around 1990 and later the Agfa Handicap Chase. After Agfa gave up sponsoring the card around 2005, presumably because roll-film sales had plummeted, other sponsors took it on; last year it was the Betfred Masters Handicap Chase

cornflakes1982
    • Total Posts 4

Will it be abandoned?

I went racing for the first time last Saturday (at Sandown). Even with the hurdle races cancelled I had a great day.

I’ve booked tickets for the premier enclosure at Newbury and would like to know where’s the best places to get a look at Denman and Sprinter Sacre and what times they’ll be parading.

Any other positive info about the course is also welcome, thanks.

I posted here as my own thread wasn’t created (or was automatically deleted).

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

deleted

Participant
    • Total Posts 32993

Will it be abandoned?

I went racing for the first time last Saturday (at Sandown). Even with the hurdle races cancelled I had a great day.

I’ve booked tickets for the premier enclosure at Newbury and would like to know where’s the best places to get a look at Denman and Sprinter Sacre and what times they’ll be parading.

Any other positive info about the course is also welcome, thanks.

I posted here as my own thread wasn’t created (or was automatically deleted).

Hi Cornflake,

They’re apparently already thinking of dolling off two fences because of the ground. And with heavy rain forecast between 9:00pm and 2:00am overnight, and then again between 11:00am and 2:00pm tomorrow… I can’t really see Newbury going ahead.

But if it does go ahead (and it’s not pelting down) look out for a Ginger idiot in a flat cap and green over-sized coat and binoculars over arm. This rare creature is usually found on the far left of the paddock (looking from the back of the stands)and I’ll be able to show you the best place to watch the racing in the Premier Enclosure.

Allow plenty of time to get there as traffic is always very busy this day, Sprinter Sacre is parading before racing too.

If you stay for the last race I’d advise watching it from the nearest Grandstand to your car. Then, as soon as (or before) the race is over… RUN! Otherwise you’ll still be there Sunday.

Value Is Everything
    cornflakes1982
    • Total Posts 4

Cheers for the info, will look out for you. Going by train, I hope it’s on.

Viewing 12 posts - 18 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.