The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Zorro to call it a day?

Home Forums Lounge Time for Zorro to call it a day?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

There is rock bottom and then there is being reduced to plaguerising some vomit that Peter Savill threw up earlier in the week.

So football betting scandals haven’t knocked public confidence/turnover on the game? Have you tried to get on some backend Italian game recently?

As for a bit of play acting being in some way comparable to racing’s problems, words fail.

Give it up mate, you’re embarassing yourself.

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

No I’m not Glenn. My point was about general cynicism.  Who are you by the way?

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Me? I’m just a bum that doesn’t like being told that white is black.

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Well said Glenn.

To remind you Zorro you wrote:" but attitudes to sport have changed massively … now it really does seem the only real shame is not even getting caught; it’s getting caught and not trying to bend the rules  in your favour".

Do you really believe sports fans couldn’t care less about corruption, that racehorse owners and racing punters  aren’t turned off the sport by the HRA’s predecessor’s  perceived attitude to tackling corruption? If you do, then I’d suggest you inhabit a different morality than most people.

I’d be interested to know whether you really believe what you wrote, or whether you were directed to write some such stuff as part of the RP’s obvious distate for the HRA’s actions, or was it just that you had a deadline to meet and just dashed off the first thing that came into your head?

Be interesting to know too whether the Editor of the RP takes an interest in what his columnists write, or is he just grateful to get the copy in time? Quite understand if you don’t want to answer that question.

richard

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

Nobody tells me what to write or ever has, thanks.<br> I really do believe the habit of cynicism is so ingrained that most fans of most sports now expect their heroes to try to cheat successfully. I also believe many professional sportsmen, particularly in football, see more shame in failing to cheat, if by cheating they might save their team from defeat, than they do in being caught cheating.<br>I shouldn’t have to say this, but I suppose I’d better, for the benefit of those who either can’t understand what I mean or else pretend to misunderstand it so they can have an easier target to shoot at, that this belief is not incompatible with the belief that cheats, if caught, need punishing.<br>And I still don’t think the trials will have much effect on betting turnover.:)

(Edited by Zorro at 6:05 pm on July 8, 2006)

Zorro
    • Total Posts 472

By the way Richard, you inserted an ‘and’ between ‘caught’ and ‘not’ in ‘caught not trying to bend the rules’. This produces a subtle change of meaning. I’m sure it wasn’t intentional.

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

I found the royal "we" business a bit strange this morning and felt Zorro was doing a good job mimicking his editor in yesterday’s shocker.

That said, Zorro is "celebrity"  member  here and shouldn’t be ambushed. We need a few  celebrities and we don’t want him doing a Barry Bismarck now, do we ? :biggrin:

But that’s just my opinion ;)

barry dennis
    • Total Posts 398

what did I do ?

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

Gotcha !

First post in how long, Mr Dennis ?

Gizza a few more.

richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Thank you for the reply Zorro and my apologies for the extra "and". Don’t know a thing about Footie, but guess we’ll just have to differ about the general level of cynicism.

A general point  though is that IMHO the HRA’s actions  are beneficial to racing because they show a determination to tackle corruption, so maybe people like me who cut back on their betting considerably ‘cos I just didn’t trust certain types of races could be encouraged to bet on more races.

richard<br>

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

i would say that a great number of us less informed dont want to feel stupid but who is Zorro??

SHL

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

Um, yeah sorry but i’d like to know who Zorro is too….and more to the point, who the hell is Barry Dennis?;)

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

Quote: from EC on 11:43 pm on July 8, 2006[br]http://www.zorro.com/

:biggrin: <br>

Hes got a mask on…so I still dont know

SHL

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Sorry if this seems like an ambush, but there seems to be no end of pressure on journos from the ‘racing community’ to tow the party line and tell lies. Is it so wrong to exert a tiny bit of counter pressure to ask for the truth?

World Cup Final of the ugly game today. A game, which if you only read the racing pages, you would believe is more bent than horse racing.

Well let me tell you a few things that won’t be happening this evening:

1) The BBC commentary team won’t be sans its best reporter on account of the fact she once wrote something critical of one of the players.

2) The former FIFA chairman won’t be checking his ‘special deals’ account with his bookie, to see how much he’s made from the inside info that some teams were fielding their second eleven for the first three group games.

3) The groundsman won’t be lumping on the team that wins the toss, having created a bog on one side of the pitch.

4) If one of the star players get injured, the first thing the journos will do is report it rather than start lumping on the opposite side then report it.

5) If you want to back one of the teams to win a non-trivial amount you won’t be greeted by a set of layers/bookies who really don’t want to know, who’ll lay you tenners here and scores there while halving the price.

6) The two teams won’t have come from a round of 16 where sides were balloted out in order to suit bookies’ profits and short change punters.

7) Thierry Henry won’t be doing a version of the birdy song when he gets a goalscoring opportunity, having drifted to any price you like on the first goalscorer market pre-match.

I could go on………..<br>

(Edited by Glenn at 10:34 am on July 9, 2006)

zilzal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 669

There’s a clue in the frame here  somewhere but I just can’t find it:

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/shops/dacker … x2f37#pic1<br>

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.