The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

time delay on live

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hi all , i know this is most prob an old subject but to be honest i just dont know if i can scroll down all the previous topics . Im just wondering if anyone knows if there are any websites or tv stations that actually run a second by second live relay of a race .
    I know that channel 4 are the quickest, i think ( only a couple of seconds down ) and i know that A.T.R are the slowest ( at times 6 or 7 seconds down ) . Racing U.K fair better than ATR , they are only about 3 seconds behind .
    It gets very frustrating trying to lay with that much delay . I appreciate punters on track with tablets are by far the quickest but i would be intersted in any other options .
    Totally understand if this is old hat but its driving me mad .
    I use gruss software and its very good for the job i need it for but trying to lay a nag that has fallen 3 seconds before i see it just isnt playing ball ( booo hooo ) .
    Anyway all suggestions if any are welcome.
    P.s Dose anyone actually know if you are allowed to use a tablet at the course . I have read that certain courses wont let you use them .

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

P.s Dose anyone actually know if you are allowed to use a tablet at the course . I have read that certain courses wont let you use them .

Strictly speaking no and that also includes using mobile phones for betting purposes.

Of course if you are prepared to pay for the hire of a box then you can use whatever you want to bet in-running!!!!

So there is a contradiction.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

I like to listen to 5 live or TMS with the sound down for footie, cricket etc

They always appear to be ‘live’ compared with TV pictures………eg the TV will be showing a corner about to be taken when 5 Live have already told you that the centre half has headed it away for a throw in

On the odd occasion that 5 Live do a race commentary the same applies

Now all that in-running stuff is way too phrenetic for me but maybe if you’re betting in running and have the Cheltenham Festival on the telly you could get an edge by having radio 5 live on………..but it has to be on a radio not over the internet (few seconds delay on that)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

interesting idea , i will deff look into the radio .

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

interesting idea , i will deff look into the radio .

trouble is though that they cover so little racing……….but 5Live do cover the cheltenham festival !

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

ill make sure i have the radio tuned in for the festival .
    I cant understand in these modern times that there can be such a large time delay on live pictures . I know that sky has a delay compared to terrestrial tv , if you flick between the two its only a second or two but six or seven seconds seems a bit of a cop out .
    I suppose the only way is to attend the meetings in person , that way you have the edge.
    Is it me or is there always something in the way of making a few quid

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I cant understand in these modern times that there can be such a large time delay on live pictures . I know that sky has a delay compared to terrestrial tv , if you flick between the two its only a second or two but six or seven seconds seems a bit of a cop out .

It’s a combination of delays including uploading and downloading from the satellites – which with live racing will mean at least two sets of up / down loads:

course – satellite – broadcast centre – satellite – home.

Add in latency for buffering the data packets and for your decoder to translate the signal the delays soon add up.

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

It’s obviously the price we pay for digital services, ie TV and digital radio……….in the days of analogue TV it was ‘live’ in the sense that the pictures on TV were concurrent with the commentary on the radio

I still have analogue radio

The internet brings a whole new level of delay……..radio on the internet is way behind the same broadcast on a trusty old radio

It would be better if there was some industry standard delay but it’s all over the place

On the bright side we do get lots more channels than in the analogue days of proper live broadcasts

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

It’s obviously the price we pay for digital services, ie TV and digital radio……….in the days of analogue TV it was ‘live’ in the sense that the pictures on TV were concurrent with the commentary on the radio

I still have analogue radio

The internet brings a whole new level of delay……..radio on the internet is way behind the same broadcast on a trusty old radio

It would be better if there was some industry standard delay but it’s all over the place

On the bright side we do get lots more channels than in the analogue days of proper live broadcasts

Interestingly Slowly Away, digital radio is the same speed as analogue radio. Obviously it’s the pictures that are responsible for the majority of the delay, corruption is responsible for some as well, as you will know. Plenty of people have their fingers in the pie (ATR, SIS, SIS at Home, Sky, RUK, Turf TV)

Due to the suspension of markets in football when a goal is scored etc the delays are mainly irrelevant unless you are live at the match abroad and I’m not quite sure how effective betting in running on horses from radio commentary would be.

PS
    If you don’t bet in running Slowly Away why do you listen to commentary 5 seconds ahead of your pictures for footie, cricket, racing etc :lol: Don’t you find it irritating seeing things several seconds after you’ve heard them happen :lol:

Slowly Away
    Participant
    • Total Posts 401

PS
    If you don’t bet in running Slowly Away why do you listen to commentary 5 seconds ahead of your pictures for footie, cricket, racing etc :lol: Don’t you find it irritating seeing things several seconds after you’ve heard them happen :lol:

Well…….I’ve been listening to football and cricket on the radio for many, many years before there were matches on telly every night and i got used to it and liked it

When I first got Sky Sports it was analogue and ‘live’ so i just carried on with the radio but with pictures as a big bonus

When it all went digital it ruined my enjoyment………but I still prefer the radio !

Nowadays i tend to have the radio on, have the pictures on but be messing around on my computer and just look over to the telly when something happens !

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Interestingly Slowly Away, digital radio is the same speed as analogue radio.

Eddie – sorry to contradict you but, technically, digital radio is slower than analogue – there isn’t usually a satellite latency but there is a buffering / conversion latency.

What does happen with radio though is many broadcasters, more so commercial broadcasters, "delay" the analogue transmission to reduce / alleviate the lag.

I believe Classic FM were the first to do it.

I still get a two second lag between analogue and digital with BBC broadcasts.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

[

I still get a two second lag between analogue and digital with BBC broadcasts.

If you get chance Paul try R5 Live on analogue on an old radio and digital on Sky, it’s exactly the same and it has been for some time, I’ve just tried it again and to be fair I’m not commenting on technicalities, just when we get to see or hear things :D

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Perhaps they have delayed the signal so that those who prefer the radio commentary can watch the pictures in sync with digital pictures. If this is the case, it leaves the OP in the same position.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was looking at SIS website today , i assume its for shops only . It all seemed a bit commercial to me , thats if im looking at the right site . More to the point if you could get it at home would it be any quicker .
    The other itching is if all digital channels are the same then why is the delay on channel 4 less than ATR .
    Its a minefield .

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6341

… the obvious answer being don’t walk through it!

Rob

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Can one accurately time a race on Television with a stop watch?eg. Push the start button when the tape goes up and stop when the horse reaches the finish. What is the flaw in this approach?

Prestbury
    • Total Posts 178

On the same subject I was betting in running with Laddies on the mens semi at the Aussie open Friday morning & the scores were being updated on their site a split second before the rally ended on BBC2, so god knows what kind of feed Ladbrokes use (& pay for)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.