The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tim Duggan Memorial 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Tim Duggan Memorial 2020

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Obviously not the biggest race over the week, but a cracking entry, and Hills have it priced up.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/188/limerick/2020-12-28/774937

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/tim-duggan-memorial-handicap-chase/winner

There are loads jumping out, and these are the ones that really caught the eye straight away…..

Moyhenna – So unlucky one The Kerry National, she deserves to win a decent pot. Was Chepstow bound before the travel restrictions, and this is one of two potential targets for her (so far) over Christmas. Was in the process of running a big race in this last year when falling a few out, and looks well treated. Seems a fair price, but that other entry is an issue. 14’s

Off You Go – Really like this horse, and put him up as one to keep note of a couple of weeks back. I thought he was crying out for trips beyond two miles, and he gets that here. Kept good company last year, and definitely one to take seriously here. I actually had the Festival’s later in the season in mind for him, but this looks a nice enough prize, and he’s seriously considered at the head of the market. 8’s

January Jets – After winning a weak enough Maiden Hurdle at Galway, they didn’t mess about with him, and straight in at the deep end over fences, chasing home Envoi Allen, and Janidil. Hardly disgraced either, and clearly one to take note of. Does have other entries though. 8’s

Ten Ten – One of those who can be hard to pin down, mixing hurdles and fences, but I think he’s got potential. He’s the type I like to keep onside, but I’m beginning to see him as a real dark one for The Paddy Power, and the option to run there must be tempting. 16’s

Minella Times – Runner up in this last year, and a tidy winner of The Southampton Chase at Listowel a couple of months back. Clearly a very promising type, but holds other entries, not least in The Paddy Power. 9’s

Goose Man – Fitness would have to be taken on trust after such a long layoff, but was definitely going the right way before he met with an obvious. Risky, but an interesting one. 16’s

Scoir Mear – As good as ever this year, and although he won over a shorter trip this year, he was thrown in that day, and just questioning whether he’s now more appealing over longer trips. At the moment, I’ll not be with him, but can’t confidently rule him out.

Burning Ambition – He’s a bit risky Antepost, given recent withdraws, but I just like this horse. Known mainly as a hunter, but more signs that they’re happy to keep him the handicap route. I think this trip is perfect for him, ground should be spot on, and he looks well treated. I’d be delighted to see him reunited with Derek O’Connor round here. Happy to have a go with him early, as I think he’s a fair price. 25’s

Shady Operator – Solid enough type, who was third in this last year, and comes here a few pounds lower. Has to be given a chance. 16’s

Treaceysenniscorthy – Carried my cash in The Foxrock, and though he ran well for a long way, I was a bit disappointed in how he faded. Not one to give up on though, and I’ll be keeping tabs on him wherever he goes this year. 16’s

Stones and Roses – Unlikely to get in, but I’m patiently waiting him out, and he’ll surely come good in a decent handicap this year. Travelled particularly well last time, before fading, but it was a run that hinted of more to come. Holds other entries 33’s

That’s just a few of them, but plenty of others to like.

Market leaders January Jets and Off You Go look obvious, and you could argue they’re overpriced.

Off You Go makes more appeal right now of the two, as he doesn’t hold other entries, but that could obviously change over a busy Festive Period. I really like him long term.

Burning Ambition also makes appeal, and I’ll bet him for all he’s risky. Just wary there could be a nice alternative on the horizon, but this does look ideal. If he does go here, wouldn’t be completely surprised to see him available at bigger on the day, but it’s a nice race, and no harm in a few quid his way just now.

I’ll almost certainly add Off You Go.

Burning Ambition 25’s

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 557

I’ll go with The Long Mile here. Clearly going the right way in handicap chases with form figures 1211F. No trouble with running on heavy ground and only 6 years old, so hopefully still improving.

The Long Mile 16/1 EW 5 places

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

I will try Dream Conti ew 5 places

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3016

Nothing stood out to me massively.

Toook a swing on Rocky’s Silver at 16/1. Trainer likes the track, as does the horse winning twice there. Handles the heavy conditions it will bring + stays further. Trainer and jockey a good combination together also- 11 runs, 4 wins 3 seconds.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3784

I’m going with Moyhenna at 16s ew 5 places- she’s had time to get over her efforts in the autumn, copes with the ground and easily stays the trip :good:

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16459

Smashing DBR, makes up for Kemboy

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2692

Well done DB. And all winners.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3784

WD DBR, you could nearly call him the winner 2 or 3 out he was travelling so well.
    Moyhenna a bit unlucky as getting into it when hampered to a standstill but don’t think she would have beaten him.

DBRDBR
    Participant
    • Total Posts 557

Thanks!

Yes, VtC, nice win directly after Kemboy his loss!

jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3016

Well done DB!

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.