The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tidal Bay

Home Forums Memorials Tidal Bay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Don’t know if I’ve missed Tidal Bay on here but can’t find him. Apparently he died in retirement last October aged 19. One of my favourites, thought every race was just a warm up to the 5 furlong sprint at the end. Loved him – a horse of character.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4168

Didn’t know anything about his death until now. Just read an article about him in today’s RP.
    Sad to see his name here, but I guess he had a happy retirement.

After his emphatic Arkle win, they tried him in every competitive race at the Festival: Ryanair, Stayers and Gthe old Cup….

Rest in peace Tidal Bay

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2904

Yes became one of my favourites. That Lexus he won when struggling out the back at one point was amazing. Never been as nervous before his GN attempt. I think he was bd at the Canal Turn.

RIP Tidal Bay.

robinhill25
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31

This was (sad) news to me, too, today. He was one of the most versatile, robustly-campaigned horses I can remember, who stood plenty of racing, and was still competing in top class long-distance handicaps until he retired sound at 13. I was at Sandown when he scythed through the field in 2012 to win the Bet365 on the last day of the season. It was a fabulously enjoyable day, seeing all the season’s champions and some retired stars, made even better by Tidal Bay’s unexpected win under a big weight. He ran in a Gold Cup and two Nationals, too. Glad he had an honourable retirement, which he thoroughly deserved, in the light of the courage he showed and the pleasure he brought to those of us who were privileged to witness his long career.

Kristaltips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 197

I’m the same. When I saw the article on the RP website today it was the first I’d heard of it. He was a heck of a good horse and enigmatic as they come! Glad he had a good retirement and 19 isn’t a bad age.

Red Rum 77
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4786

Correct me if I’m wrong but did he ran in the National with top weight when he was a seven year old. Thought he had a real chance of bursting that stat. Seems like yesterday.

The best things in life are free.
    But you can give them to the birds and bees.

Illavim
    Participant
    • Total Posts 764

Sad to hear he passed away las years was a real favourite, such a character, oodles of talent when he wanted to show it.
    Just checked his race record and he ran in the National in 2011 and 2014 and UR both times!

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1612

RIP Tidal Bay, one of my favourite ever racehorses. His versatility, career longevity and slightly enigmatic ways were all part of the appeal. Those two Grand National unseats were his only ever non-completions in 44 races.

He was a contemporary of the likes of Kauto Star, Denman and Master Minded in what was very much a Golden Age for high-class chasers, though his racing career outlasted all of theirs by some distance. It would have been interesting to see where he would have placed in the pecking order if Paul Nicholls had got his hands on him much earlier.

There are so many racing highlights to choose from including his Arkle and Lexus Chase victories, but I always love a good comeback, so my personal favourite is his victory in the bet365 Gold Cup in April 2012. What a wonderful horse he was.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.