The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Those mouth-watering clashes!

Home Forums Horse Racing Those mouth-watering clashes!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Thinking back to 1986, I can still reminisce my heart beating in my throat as my equine hero, Dancing Brave, and the french champion, Bering, were loaded into the stalls at Longchamp. Bering was such intimidating opposition, who I remember, earlier in the season, had totally slaughtered Bakharoff (DB’s stablemate) into third place in the Prix Du Jockey Club in record time. I recall thinking to myself “this is it!” shortly before the stalls sprung open and the butterflies in my stomach flapped around like a flock of startled geese.
    The race tortured me. Even though I knew ‘the Brave’ possessed a searing blast of finishing speed, I still had niggling doubts because Bering also had a superb turn of foot. As they swung into the home straight, I remember saying to my Dad “He’s gonna run Derby all over again” as I hovered out of my chair. Two furlongs out, I could see Pat Eddery pumping away on Dancing Brave whilst most of the horses fanned across the track and Bering appeared to have got the run of the race. My God I felt ill and needed a good ****!
    Suddenly, Dancing Brave locked onto Bering like a heat-seeking missile and turned on the afterburner. I howled my tonsils ragged as he shot past the lot and eased up right at the winning line. Never in all my days have I seen a horse wreak such violence upon a top class field :lol:

So chaps and chapesses, what ‘Clash of the Titans’ did it for you?

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

A great description of the most amazing flat race I’ve ever seen. The fact that the winner disappeared from view for a while due to the camera angles used at Longchamp almost added to the moment.

Here is my favourite race of all time though, and I won’t spoil it by trying to explain what happened. If you saw it, you’ll know…..

Whitbread Gold Cup Sandown, April 28, 1984

1. Special Cargo 8-1
    2. Lettoch 11-2
    3. Diamond Edge 11-2

Winning owner: Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother
    Trainer: Fulke Walwyn
    Jockey: Kevin Mooney

Distances: sh hd, sh hd

Also ran: Plundering (4th), Skegby (5th), Kudos (6th), Fortina’s Express (7th), Ashley House (8th), Sointulla Boy (9th), Integration (last), Ocean Cruise (pu), Polar Express (ur), Donegal Prince (f). 13 ran.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

1986 King George and Queen Elizabeth Diamond stakes,i was working for a guy who owned a 2nd hand car dealership,i spent most of my time being his "Bookies runner" i had backed Dancing Brave in the Derby at good prices only for Greville to cock it up,my boss was convinced Sharastani would beat the Brave again at Ascot so he sent me off with £200 to back Sharastani, i thought all my birthdays had come at once,as i was 110% convinced he would never beat the Brave again,thankfully a young TAPK was correct in his judgement and pocketed the money! It was just like laying horses nowadays i suppose! The Brave confirmed the form again in the Arc! A Legend of a horse who would laugh at Sea the Stars over any trip!

Neil Watson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

Quixall Crossett v Monaughty Man at Haydock.

Both out the back in a 2m4f Chase won by Mouse Bird but Quixall got 7th when Monaughty unseated the rider at one of the fences to beat his fellow 300-1 shot at the old age of 14.

After finishing jockey Gary Lyons was quoted as saying "I had him covered all the way"

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

Spring of 1984. My first clear memory of the approach of the flat season. I’d been fortunate enough to witness Burrough Hill Lad winning the Gold Cup, but the flat was different. The horses were quicker.. and the weather was often better; and at that time Channel 4 were absolutely brilliant at creating a story.
    The 2000 Guineas approached and I thought it was the best time in the world.

My Dad kept telling me about an Irish horse, but I wouldn’t have it. I’d seen the yellow and blue silks, I’d seen Guy Harwood, I’d seen Greville Starkey and I’d seen Lear Fan – I’d seen the 2000 Guineas winner!

I’d seen Lear Fan beat Rainbow Quest in the Craven and thought ‘this is it.’ My Dad was unconvinced and kept talking about this Irish horse with a funny sounding name. Every race from April until May seemed to have some link to the big one. I remember Lester winning on something at Kempton (one of Howard de Walden’s I think) and that one being considered a lively outsider. Chief Singer had created such an impression the previous season but I think he’d run a stinker afterwards. Anyway, I quite liked Chief Singer and both my Dad and I backed him each-way.

The race itself had me in a frenzy. Starkey sending Lear Fan on and then for one moment Cochrane on Chief Singer making a forward move – but I hadn’t seen Eddery. Bum in the air, green and blue silks, spotted cap, El Gran Senor just oozed quality. Eddery sent him on and that was the end of it.

‘Go on Pat’, my Dad shouted, and the favourite demolished the field. My hero Lear Fan had been well and truly stuffed.

How I hated El Gran Senor – well, I was 13 at the time.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Moscow Flyer’s despatch of Azertyuiop and Well Chief in the Tingle Creek Chase.

The noise from the stands as they jumped the last of the Railways and left Cenkos (I think it was) behind, was only a sign-post of things to come. As the principals kicked out of the back straight and headed towards the Pond fence, Geraghty’s look round was the signal for the Nicholls and Pipe followers to up the aural tempo, but Moscow met it on a stride, and was shaken up after touching down.

Soon thereafter, it was clear that – far from coming to the end of his tether – Moscow Flyer was galloping-on most resolutely, and Azertuiop and Well Chief were quickly off the bridle. Never at any stage, did either of the pair ever look like getting to Moscow Flyer, who pinged the last two with ears pricked, and stayed on stoutly up the hill, without ever looking fully extended.

The roar as he crossed the line could only have been generated by a crowd who knew they had witnessed one of the all-time great steeplechases, with Well Chief and Azertyuiop supporters as generous in their applause as anyone else.

Steeplechasing at it’s brilliant best, imo.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Seconded Grassy. 2004 Tingle Creek hands down for me. Absolutely epic race. Barry’s two peaks behind him after taking it up made for great viewing.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Quixall Crossett v Monaughty Man at Haydock.

Both out the back in a 2m4f Chase won by Mouse Bird but Quixall got 7th when Monaughty unseated the rider at one of the fences to beat his fellow 300-1 shot at the old age of 14.

After finishing jockey Gary Lyons was quoted as saying "I had him covered all the way"

Aha, yes, Clash of the Anti-Titans, Part 3. Haydock, Saturday February 27th. I was there that day!

Quixall took his career score to 3-0 over his (higher-rated) stablemate there, having also finished in front of him – with both completing – in a Kelso novices’ handicap in November 2006 and the same season’s renewal of the Peterborough Chase a fortnight later.

The day was to get even better for Ted Caine, of course, with Triona’s Hope and Cregg Rose plodding round for second and third place behind 1-16F Martin Pipe hotpot Potentate in a typically thinly-contested Haydock novice chase later that afternoon. Well, if nobody else wanted the £2,500 their efforts gained, Ted certainly did!

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

For a change, I’ll go for something recent.

Alexander Goldrun versus Ouija Board in the 2006 Nassau.

It must be pretty rare to see two 5yo mares battle head-to head for two furlongs.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

The 2000 Eclipse was billed as a clash between the supermare Shiva, such an impressive winner of the Brigadier Gerard Stakes over course and distance on her previous start against Derby runner-up Sakhee. However, that pair were left trailing in wake as the Giants Causeway met Kalanisi head to head and toe to toe for much of the final furlong. Kalanisi looked sure to get on top under the familar Eddery drive but the Iron Horse and the veteran George Duffield wouldn’t be denied, having a head to spare at the line as both horses gave their all.

Although both endured particularly hard races and their jockeys received 10-day bans for over-use of the whip, the race failed to leave a mark on the tough as teak individuals, Giants Causeway going on to add the Sussex and Juddmonte International crowns whilst Kalanisi would get the better of Montjeu in the Champion Stakes before going on to win the Breeders Cup.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

I didn’t see the Ouija Board/Alexandra Goldrun race because I was on holiday in the Borders at the time, but it is one of those races that will always stay in my memory because we listened to it on the car radio; I sometimes think that sport is even more exciting just listening to it if the commentary is good. I know I bore people silly about this but the Sunday Silence/ Easy Goer clashes were the most epic battles ever.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Small question since I’ve looked everywhere on google and can’t find anything, unless I’m just using the wrong key words.

What Group 1s did Bering win?

Thanks

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Ah Bering, another British-bred. !!!!! I suppose its because of who his mum was shagging next, or whatever. [edit: it was Grundy.]

On Pedigree Query it says he ran 7 and won 5. Only Group 1 seems to be the Jockey-Club.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.