The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Thommo A Little Too Intrusive?

Home Forums Horse Racing Thommo A Little Too Intrusive?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

Anyone else a little uneasy about the way Thommo got the debrief from Tony Dobbin following Nacarat’s victory? Surely it should be connections first?

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

It was pretty much the viewers of C4 racing who got it, not just Tommo. He’s only doing his job after all. I did miss it however, what did Dobbin say, too much or very little?
    As for connections getting information first… It’s hardly a big secret telling the commentator a few points about a race, such as the going, how the horse was traveling etc. It is us after all who put the majority of money into the sport. Without us there’d be no races as such. So for any owner/ trainer to complain about the jockey sharing a few bits of information about a race with the public isn’t fair.
    If i was an owner of a winning horse, no matter what grade of race it was i’d be more than happy for my jockey to be interviewed before i was.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I saw it, I think the way he went about it was intrusive, but Thommo is a dipstick. Equally, Kautostar, without owners and trainers there would be no racing.

JohnJ

Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

What was said by the jockey and also Thommo? ? ?

Thanks.

Gareth.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Why is Tommo a dipstick? Because he jokes and smiles unlike most of the other dull, monotone presenters about? In my view he’s nothing but professional and entertaining.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Why is Tommo a dipstick? Because he jokes and smiles unlike most of the other dull, monotone presenters about? In my view he’s nothing but professional and entertaining.

Are you sure you mean to say ‘nothing’, surely you meant ‘anything’.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I would like to see you try and do his job

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

You could walk into any zoo and find a far more competent presenter than Thommo in any of the monkey enclosures…even the ones with chimpanzees that do nothing but pick their own backside for something to do.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

lol! He really isn’t that bad! But i guess everyone has their own opinion.

Give me Tommo instead of the likes of Nick Luck anyday!

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

I would like to see you try and do his job

I’m sure with a little bit of practice, race commentating would not be beyond the scope of most and the recording of messages for a Tipping line, sticking a mic in someones face , presenting a carp tv programme wouldn’t take that much skill either

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

One thing for sure…Tony wont be giving a hoot as long as he gets his cheque for the interview………ya gotta love Tommo he’s such a talent at making people puke…….been there along time though so a lot of people must like him……….I always thought he was very insincere and false personally………However I’d be happy to talk to him for 30 seconds for 60 quid

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

You could walk into any zoo and find a far more competent presenter than Thommo in any of the monkey enclosures…even the ones with chimpanzees that do nothing but pick their own backside for something to do.

That’s why he has been on our screens for nearly 25 years :D .

MIke

Charlie D
    • Total Posts 500

lol! He really isn’t that bad! But i guess everyone has their own opinion.

Give me Tommo instead of the likes of Nick Luck anyday!

Why is Nick Luck not one of your top racing tv presenters KS1???

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

I’ve always loved the guy!! In a sport where we constantly have to tolerate ‘wooden experts’ parading across our screens, Tommo’s light-hearted approach is a refreshing change.

Likewise, I prefer Nick Luck conducting the on-course, post race interview. His questions are always relevant, articulate and without the schmultz that accompany the efforts of both Tommo and Lesley Graham.

Whether you love the guy, love to hate him or hate to love him, the link below is just for you!! :wink:

http://www.tommoracing.com/

Zoz
    • Total Posts 703

I must admit I did at the time think that Tommo virtually barging the owner out of the way to get a reaction from Tony Dobbin was a bit much.

I realise the bloke had just spoken to the owner in question and received a good natured conversation from him, and also had a timescale to work to regarding other races about to be broadcast. The owner didn’t seem hugely put out, but it did seem that Tommo was pushing it a bit. I know I wouldn’t have been very impressed if I owned the horse, and no blame can be put on the jockey who was busy unsaddling when the microphone was suddenly in place.

As far as Tommo’s talents as a presenter go, I happen to think he’s an overbearing berk, but at least there’s some comedy value to be had at times!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.