The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

This Season's Irish Bumpers

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks This Season's Irish Bumpers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Anyone care to throw any names in the ring as I suspect that if Bold Optimist is the best of the bunch it could well be a home win in the Festival bumper again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Star Neuville and Raise The Beat are two off the top of my head! Elegant Concorde is apparently being aimed at the bumper again. If Dylan Ross reverted back to bumpers after his final hurdle fall last time out he also could be interesting.

• Total Posts 336

Waaheb is far the most impressive I have seen this year, but is apparently not a Cheltenham horse.
    Bold Optimist I wasn’t convinced about, although finished strongly. Perhaps the ground wasn’t ideal.
    Saw a horse in November, Bishops Walk, went off favourite, finished second, but didn’t settle and still looked a handful when closing on the eventual winner. Haven’t seen him since.
    Race at Leopardstown this Sunday may reveal more.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Waaheb dotted up that day. Bishops Walk probably should have won that race but got caught wide turning in before running green as a grass around on the run in. Looked talented but no sign of him since.

Lovethehigherlaw won snugly enough over the weekend and is rumoured to be one of Mullin’s best.

• Total Posts 2184

They’ve been a desperate bunch so far. No surprise really given the way the country is going. All the best bred horses that aren’t being bought by the likes of O’Leary are marked for export. Field sizes are down markedly in most bumpers.

Waaheb is the best we’ve seen so far but DK doesn’t want to travel with a 4yo given how poorly Hidden Universe ran last year when they fancied him. Lovethehigherlaw won’t go either – I suppose it’s possible that Willie thinks he’s got something better yet to come out.

Bold Optimist is a talking horse at the moment but he may show improvement at Gowran on Thursday – he’d need to. Raise The Beat has a similarish profile to Zaarito but both his bumper wins were weak contests. Bishops Walk was owned and trained by Timmy Hyde so I suppose he could have been sold in the meantime – might explain his absence. Darwins Fox has franked his form since.

I think Champagne Agent is our Cheltenham front-runner at the moment. Star Neuville beat him 4L but he was getting a huge amount of weight even before you factor in Hayes’ 7lb claim. I’ve heard that most of Willie’s bumper horses are way behind this winter with the way the weather has been too.

I’ve heard a rumour that Tommy Stack apparently has a nice horse yet to run. I’d rate Keys ahead of all of our contenders for Cheltenham at the moment though.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

Not sure they are dreadful. The main fact that the irish bumpers are largely not the same quality is that Willie Mullins is not now known now as a bumper trainer. He has made it clear a number of times that he now is not buying bumpers or looking for bumper horses. He now is getting proper horses to run over fences and hurdles. Major investment from the Ricci’s has helped him in this way.

I still think Elliots is the best but Gigginstown has some proper horses now and looking forward to Sir Des Champs running.

mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

Can anyone tell me what has happened to Tus Nua? This daughter of Galileo won both her bumpers last summer but I cannot find a price for her for the champion bumper. Surely a dual bumper winner with a 100 percent record should have a price for the champion bumper.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I thought this thread was about the freak results in irish bumpers this season as per the article in today’s Post. I keep telling punting friends over here they are a mug’s game but the lure of the "whisper" is too strong…

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Suggest you keep an eye on Dermot Weld this year. He seems to be more focused on winning NH races lately.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Money can definitely be made from bumpers imo, you just have to learn which "whispers" to listen to! :wink:

• Total Posts 2184

Very interesting 4yo bumper at Thurles today. It’s a race that has thrown up useful horses in the past – Blackstairmountain, Conna Castle, Glencove Marina.

There are some very decent pedigrees in the line-up. Leahy’s horse is a Sadlers Wells half-brother to Sublimity and O’Grady’s is a Sulamani half-brother to Catch Me.

I’ve heard a rumour that Tommy Stack apparently has a nice horse yet to run.

He has two in the race today. I presume Pivotal Rock is the one with Robbie McNamara booked. He’s a Pivotal gelding out of that good Ballydoyle mare Kitza who was second in both the Irish Guineas and Irish Oaks.

Looks like a race that should throw up plenty of future winners.

• Total Posts 2184

Very interesting 4yo bumper at Thurles today. It’s a race that has thrown up useful horses in the past – Blackstairmountain, Conna Castle, Glencove Marina.

There are some very decent pedigrees in the line-up. Leahy’s horse is a Sadlers Wells half-brother to Sublimity and O’Grady’s is a Sulamani half-brother to Catch Me.

I’ve heard a rumour that Tommy Stack apparently has a nice horse yet to run.

He has two in the race today. I presume Pivotal Rock is the one with Robbie McNamara booked. He’s a Pivotal gelding out of that good Ballydoyle mare Kitza who was second in both the Irish Guineas and Irish Oaks.

Looks like a race that should throw up plenty of future winners.

• Total Posts 2184

Cheltenian runs in the last at Kempton Park today for Philip Hobbs having been bought out of Liz Doyle’s.

Muffin Man
    • Total Posts 15

Star Neuville entered @ Newbury tomorrow.
    Looks a cracker of a race, be interesting to see how he fares.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.