The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

This Old Bird The Beeb Want To Read The News

Home Forums Lounge This Old Bird The Beeb Want To Read The News

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

The news itself is generally depressing enough now the Beeb want us to have to look at some old sort reading it….who cares if there are no women over 50 on the goggle-box – ******* good thing I say….where will it all end :roll:

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. they are probably trying to wean everyone off it.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

What, have they sacked Sian Phillips then?

I hope they give the gig to Kirsty Lang – I sat on her lap at college.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

I hope the lady chosen will be one who wears the burka, as I think this group is under represented amongst female news readers on British t.v.

Saying that, some of the men ought to be wearing one too.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’d rather have a talking post box from some cartoon before a fundamentalist with a burka.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

The news itself is generally depressing enough now the Beeb want us to have to look at some old sort reading it….

Tsk. What’s genuinely depressing is that they had, in Moira Stewart and Anna Ford, women who fitted that bracket perfectly. A case of acting in haste and repenting at leisure in dismissing the former, I fancy. I’d be quite content to see either return, though professional pride may prevent them from accepting an offer if made.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Wholly agree Moira Stuart was a highly competent newsreader (she is also one of the most naturally attractive, beautiful, women I have ever met in my life)

However her problem, in the current BBC environment, is she is not from a journalistic background and the BBC want journalist / presenters – her background is radio continuity announcer

Gone are the days when the BBC used former actors – like Richard Baker – for whom the only requirement was the ability to speak proper.

I can’t say I like this type of positive discrimination – news presenters should be presented for their professional ability not their looks – the BBC already have an excellent femae presenter, who perfectly fits the "job description" her name – Lyse Doucet. An excellent journalist, of a "certain age" she is a far better able and decisive interviewer than most of the current bunch here in the UK – male or female.

Yet if you want to watch her you can only see her on BBC World TV.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

I really don’t understand why so mant people get excited about Moira Stewart reading the news. In my opinion she has an outmoded style, looks depressed and has a very unnattractive odd voice.

threenaps
    Participant
    • Total Posts 317

Bring it on I say, a good looking mature women will do nicely.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.