The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Thick snow in Spain

Home Forums Lounge Thick snow in Spain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

Heaviest snow they’ve had in 50 years in Spain.

Coming very soon after we were told climate change means because of our lattitude snow will be largely confined to northern Britain in future years.

:wacko:

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

Suspect the experts will come up with some reason why it all happened due to climate change. ;-)

value is everything
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1169

Heavy snow = weather, not climate

Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 983

I concur with the thread header – The fact that it’s gone to Spain proves that it’s thick.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23815

I heard the sun was out in Scotland once

Member since March 2008
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5180

For one who purports to understand probability and the irrelevance of anomalous discrete events to a long-term average or trend, I find your post most strange GingerT; or have you taken up clickbaiting in order to relieve the boredom of decorating your new house :yes:

Anyway, snow in Spain might not fall mainly on the plain but is hardly uncommon: Madrid itself is at an elevation of around 2,200 feet, higher than the Pennine tops and far higher than any of our cities

Our last anomalous winter event that had climate change deniers in raptures was the ‘beast from the east’ a few years ago

33/1 winners, true odds 50/1, do occasionaly happen

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

Snow may not be uncomman in some regions of Spain, Drone; but you’re making it sound like just a sprinkling.

I was going through different TV News programmes and it was either Euronews or France 24 who were saying… Some regions of Spain had their first sight of snow in a generation. But the main point is this was not just snow, it was Spains worst snow storm in 50 years.

Yes, 33/1 or 50/1 shots do occasionally win / happen and I am not a climate change denier; but can you not see the irony here.

Spain – that’s Spain‘s worst snow storm in 50 years happening less than a month since we were told snowy UK winters could become a thing of the past due to climate change. Restricted only to higher ground up north and Scotland.

Every time anything in this whole world that just might be happening “because of climate change” they make a point of telling us. So when something does not seem to fit that view – and in order to be fair – why don’t journalists make that point?

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

Be fair befair,
    For snow to happen at all it has to be cold.
    Therefore snow can be about climate.
    And to have a lot of snow it has to be very cold.

value is everything
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 983

fk me. The only good threads in the lounge these days are the ones brought back to life from years ago

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

Don’t be so hard on yourself, Tank. ;-)

value is everything
    Tank
    Participant
    • Total Posts 983

Nice to get some communication from someone anyway, Ginge.

Cheers B-)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5180

50 years ago: My Sweet Lord, it seems just like yesterday, and climatalogically is yesterday

Ironic couplings are ruefully amusing but have no deeper meaning

The climate/weather dichotomy is neatly summed up by the phrase:

‘England has a lovely climate, just a shame about the weather’ :yes:

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 26769

“My sweet Lord”. :wacko:

Yes, I agree 50 years climatalogically is yesterday, so why do climate journalists and scientists only go back one day, Drone?… Or even less than one day!

Why do we hear about how much ice has melted from the Arctic “since the 1970’s“? When the amount of ice had in fact grown significantly between 1930 and the 1970’s. Indeed, I remember in those 1970’s my teacher (and scientists) using that very fact as evidence of a possible new ice age.

So why do Shukman and co use the 1970’s as a cut off point? Could it be because the 1970’s had abnormally large amounts of ice around the Arctic and suits their cause more than going back further? Should they not go back more than one day too? :negative:

Whenever just 50 years history suits the climate change arguement they’ll use it.
    Whenever 50 years history doesn’t suit, then the old “50 years is yesterday” arguement comes out.

All I am asking for is a fair debate.

value is everything
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2298

These, as Drone says, are once in a generation events. Yes 50/1 shots do come in. Also Spain is a very, very small proportion of the Earth’s area. Whereas the Earth’s five warmest years on record since records began have been 2016, 2019, 2015, 2017 and 2018. That’s like the last 5 100+/1 shots coming in on the trot if climate changing wasn’t happening. Not a bad Lucky 31. As you know GT this is virtually impossible. You say you are not a climate change denier and most people have woke up to this fact. It’s what is affecting the climate what people dispute whether this is man made or just nature. Most scientists believe the Earth is warming too fast to be just natural.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2298

50 years ago: My Sweet Lord

Correct Drone. The biggest selling single of 1971. It gave George Harrison the first No. 1 by a Beatle as a solo artist ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.