The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Whp debacle , will it get fixed today ???

Home Forums Horse Racing The Whp debacle , will it get fixed today ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Today is pivotal for ending the plethora of ills that came with the whip rules and their shameful introduction

Today will tell us if Bittar and Struthers can broker a deal,a workable deal , sustainable , flexible and most of all acceptable to both sides

I doubt it , looks like another couple of sticky plasters to cover the sores …I do hope I am proved wrong , but as long as Stiers and Roy remain , they will always be part of the problem and not the solution ….IMO OF COURSE

Good luck PJA …looks like you will need it

Ricky

Leeknowles1Leeknowles1
    • Total Posts 100

I bloody hope so, I bloody doubt it

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

As far as I can make out they’ve done what I always said they should.

I think they’ve told the Stewards to all but throw away the abacus and use their discretion on how and why the whip was used more than the allowed number.

Fingers crossed that is what it all means.

KenhKenh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 738
    ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Over four months have passed since the introduction of the first set of rules following the Whip Review. Despite a number of changes to both the rule and the accompanying penalty structure it is clear that while many objectives of the Review are being met, and in particular those pertaining to horse welfare, a rule which polices the use of the whip based solely on a fixed number of strikes is fundamentally flawed.

aaaah satisfaction at last ….are you watching , Pompette , Corm , Ginger …and others who nailed their colours to the Roy/Stier madness (as always IMO )

One feels totally vindicated and I take great pleasure in saying I did tell you ……..

Ricky

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

PS , a huge well done to Struthers and Bittar , this is a good step forward , common sense should prevail providing the stewards dont mess up , a lot of pressure will be on the Stipendary guys to make sure they at least get it right

Wonder how Robert Winston feels ???

Ricky

ZamorstonZamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1113

It’s totally outrageous that is has taken this long for well paid people in senior positions to realise what hundreds of thousands of average Joe’s have been saying for months!!

Heads have got to roll surely?

Will they look back at all the poor jockey’s who were put out of pocket by some of these farsical decisions of the last few months? In my opinion they should be financially re-imbursed on both prize money and loss of earnings by the complete idiots who stuck by these silly rules and penalties for so long…

Well done Paul Bittar….at last we could have someone in a crucial position who will take racing forward!!

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

"We are confident there is not a welfare problem associated with the use of the cushioned whip in British Racing."

So what was the problem in the first place exactly?

Mike

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Over four months have passed since the introduction of the first set of rules following the Whip Review. Despite a number of changes to both the rule and the accompanying penalty structure it is clear that while many objectives of the Review are being met, and in particular those pertaining to horse welfare, a rule which polices the use of the whip based solely on a fixed number of strikes is fundamentally flawed.

aaaah satisfaction at last ….are you watching , Pompette , Corm , Ginger …and others who nailed their colours to the Roy/Stier madness (as always IMO )

One feels totally vindicated and I take great pleasure in saying I did tell you ……..

Ricky

And that has cured all the ills in racing has it?

The sport is still moribund and cannot sustain itself at the current levels. All the last 4 months has done is deflect from the real issues that racing has to address or face the abyss.

betlargebetlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2663

And that has cured all the ills in racing has it?

No, it hasn’t. Nor has it hasn’t cured global warming or Greek debt either. What it has done is remove some irrational, ill-thought out rules from the statute book.

Mike

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

Eclipse

stay on topic dear girl….you are spot on of course (as always)

This thread is about the whip balls up specifically

thanks

Ricky

SteeplechasingSteeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5767

RSPCA Statement on BHA rules

“It’s absolutely staggering that the BHA has taken such a clear backward step, less than six months after the new whip rules were introduced. Not only has the BHA failed to consult the RSPCA or other welfare groups about its plans but the decision flies in the face of scientific research which shows that excessive use of the whip actually increases the likelihood of falls.

“This is a black day for the racing industry but the real losers today are horses – jockeys have effectively been given a licence to beat them with impunity. We are extremely disappointed that once again the BHA has seen it necessary to change the rules in favour of the jockeys, despite having already allowed two previous concessions.

“Since the new rules limiting the use of the whip were introduced there appears to be a culture of change among jockeys, which is a positive move forward. This latest move sees the preventative, punitive, element of the new whip rules reduced even further which gives us real cause for concern."

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Well someone saying "I told you so" hardly sounds like a racing fan, unless they won money as a result of today’s changes.

The only trouble is that jockeys will now think they have a free hand when the money is down. They are not referred to as "short and thick does the trick" without good reason.

ricky lakericky lake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2358

JOE , the Rspca can take it or leave it , Bittar has spelled out with clarity , no welfare issue with the air cushioned whip

These guys can rattle a few cages , but in reality they can do nothing

Thank Goodness sanity has been restored , the politics of appeasement are over , this whole mess was created by just that , now we are back to a sensible playing field

Ricky

cormack15cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8783

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Full and detailed response from ‘Deeply Disappointed, Edinburgh’ later Ricky when I’ve had time to a) calm down and b)reflect on the ramifications.

Here’s a starter.

The BHA clearly don’t consider one horse ca. every fortnight coming back with weals/marks to be a welfare issue. I disagree and I’d like them to qualify that statement and will be asking them to do so.

Oh dear. Oh dear. OH DEAR!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.