The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The tree

Home Forums Lounge The tree

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

You need the patience of job (or was it lot?, certainly not his missus!)to wade through that lot. It’s Tuesday and the tip beckons a site operated with military precision I’ve booked a slot to get my building bags empty so’s I can restore them to their rightful owner. My lady completed her swims but forbade me to Join not in a don’t cramp my style way, more of a “this would finish you off with your chest” kind of loving way. The North Sea doesn’t suffer fools gladly and one less then today. But should the sun stoke things up again,I’m up for a dip as the temperature has only just gone below its annual high recently. To be fair, nowadays you can’t move for peeps who’d have never left their cars or even walk on the prom let alone piddle in the North Sea a year or two ago. ( covid again)
    I often swam alone in fludyers bay. The Fludyers hotel A spit and sawdust pub next to Mrs Simpson’s house then upgraded once and then again and now it’s a boutique hotel. Where you’d spend the same money in one night for a room as you’d spend on an entire dirty weekend in Brighton.
    But it is great to see more people in the water than on the beach nowadays. Even if there’s more plastic in the water than on the beach these days.
    First dump run done I’ve picked up a once loved wheel barrow which I’ve dumped at Lottie “2” then back to dump run with the rest of giant fuschia which the squadron leaders decided to replace with an oriental TREE!!🌲 🌲 ! My work here is done.
    Next it’s off to a house two hundred yards along the road from mine and a fellow allotmenter has thrown her garden open to me to cut dahlias and cosmos to my hearts content then it’s off to the shop to give them the raw materials for hopefully ten more bouquets.
    It’s working and my Dad’s smiling up at me or maybe even down on me but we’re two peas from a pod and he always liked it hot ….
    There were twenty decent songs to pick from including riders on the storm, taunted love, brothers in arms, mad world. but talking about the 80s one stands out. if there’s ever a blockage of mind or heart
    This one lets the waters flow.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2871

I haven’t read this thread properly but that’s a lovely spot you have there Drone, looks great.

As for artichokes, the globe variety is the king of vegetables in my book, if indeed it is a vegetable botanically speaking.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Drone’s input maketh the thread.
    To see the glorious colours in summer inspires. I’ve made the commitment and as part of a new project was on a job which was more a help assignment than a job but it led to a client and a big boost to the manure fund in several ways. It’s all happened since and a visit to a new stable today will up the quality and quantity of rotted manure to use on Lottie and to pass on for the hospice fund. Thirty one bags of Black Gold later Flower’s are multiplying and bouquets are going well with a dozen or so set to be made. That hydrangea bush I ambushed ten days ago is due a visit tomorrow. Another chap a friend who helps has regular forays to the gym. A thing I used to do but soon realised you don’t pay to work you get paid to work. No better workout can be had than the one I gained yesterday trying to toss the caber. I sourced a huge beam for a raised bed. I’d dragged one up to Lottie less than a month back. But in the absence of others like it, a new job told me it’s future lay in someone’s garden right now. It’s weight was about 120 kg and as a dense solid block of wood all dead weight. Having hauled it on to Lottie but ten days ago with two people ( gym man) I manhandled it off my plot by upending it and sending it crashing back to ground time and time again like a game in worlds strongest man. Luckily I was racing myself and no one was watching about twenty revolutions later it’s alongside my van and ready the final push I doubt gym man could have got a burn like this!! I got it into the van and this muddy smelly wet slab of wood has gone from seaborne driftwood to allotment furniture to garden centrepiece the longboat at Sutton ho has just chad its journey from river to castle re-enacted (and back again for the relaunch)
    Imagine my suprise when client said “ I don’t like it”!! Single most taxing physically a job for a while. and a lesson in, run it by someone, because what you see as a masterplan is not always someone else’s cup of tea.
    The return of MR E gave me something to PONDER.
    I set up an Alexander thread in the systems pages over six months ago which I’ve now reignited. I’ve spent a huge amount trying to pursue winners when all the time Alexander gives the opportunity to land tricasts and forecasts.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

A big day yesterday and I was able to use our unique micro climate of ours on the outer or inner wall of the Deben peninsula to very good effect. You see whatever forecast the met office gives generically for the south and east we are always on the fringe of it and often go unaffected by even the most dire weather predictions. So it was yesterday where I played at gardening from sun up to beyond sundown largely unmolested by the dire warnings of life to limb. I got soaked three times but carried on happily in very mild conditions and when the sun burst through at noon it put the cap on a lovely day. I know what Guernsey and Jersey were hit badly along with the south coast so I was thinking of friends down there whilst I whistled merrily away.
    On the tree front my biggest battle was with about ten box hedges which needed digging out and 7:30 ish I’m embarked on “a half hour job a piece of cake 🎂 I assured a doubtful house holder”. The final one came up at 1600 hours and I went off to another job one hundred yards away at 8 am after struggling to shift even three blighted boxes 📦 you see they put down a massive tap 🚰 root and are well and truly anchored like a trawler.
    By 1630 I was gathering leaves again for composting they really are the new manure and don’t have the same odour.

The box hedges although brown bread send all their energy into the rootball and the stricken plants are an oasis of microscopic life led by huge battalions of slugs centipedes and the kings of compost 🪱 worms and my first thoughts were get them into the allotment heaps but the box disease needs to be isolated and even the root balls are too risky to place in the pile do the five or six plants which made their way to my tiny street allotment now have to be collected and disposed of imaginatively.
    On the free energy front a new approach to my racing acting solely on free energy yielded straight away a 20/1 winner in Dragon’s pass 🐉 good start.
    Late start today and time for a beach comb before anything else and although no Amber washed up but this is the east coast the Amber coast and I regularly harvest it here. Next tide will bring some up trapped in seaweed. Flowers for the hospice project to collect

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

A clay pipe wasn’t too bad a haul along with a very nice piece of driftwood.
    Yesterday was good and bad a full day despite the torrential rain, but as explained this neck of the woods has a unique micro climate and the weather is ALWAYS better here. Almost like being in a different country or county to that one assigned a forecast to the extent I never follow or check the forecast because it is wildly inaccurate. We configure three rivers and when you cross their alignment the weather will be raining on one side with fierce heat and sunshine on the other side.
    Yesterday despite being many seasons was a saddest of days a little dog on my rounds who was tapping at my feet 👣 had passed on. That dog really loved me and delighted at my coming, getting wildly excited each time. I used to walk her and let her loose on my previous allotment five years ago.
    A dark house walked into yesterday and there was no need to ask what was up I knew and all remaining was emptiness.

So to this delightfully happy and noisy little jack Russell I say thank you and here is your song.

I dedicate the next ten winners to you
    MOLLY

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Winner no 1 is already on the board with
    Good night Olive at the breeders cup.
    Hopefully winner number 2 is around the corner.
    Molly lived at the house which instigated this thread.
    Breeders cup
    I make a compelling case for
    Casa Creed
    Each way
    Has raced in this three times without success and looks highly laid out here.
    The yard have identical form for running the same horse multiple times without success and then in 2016 bullseye 🎯 following a good draw. Casanova creed is blest with a stellar berth in stall 3 and many of the more favoured yards would kill for this berth. No suprise with badly drawn boys try too hard and set this up because of the draw the physics would then do the rest….

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

The highest draw wins the middle is second and the best low draw is third.
    That is the epitome of 369.
    3:6:14
    Second song
    Bullit the blue sky from the aptly named u2 album the Joshua tree. 🌲 🌲

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Winner number two has gone in from the effect of non runners in handicaps thread as juddamonte’s Idiomatic receives the energy from two horses to bolt up easily.
    That calls for another record.
    Coccaine by Dillinger followed swiftly by junior Mervin with police and thieves.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

August Rodin ( the thinker) bolts up but has to weave a way through a crowd to get there in the manner of a horse benefiting from a champion ride but also finding gods opening and seemingly enjoying a “charmed” passage. For me that is the propulsion of free energy from other horses. The other horse to do similar and in receipt of free energy was master of the sea who finished with a very wet sail from stall 14 no stall 12.
    A third winner on the night for Molly.
    Music back there tomorrow planting things a new.

Junior Mervin police and thieves police 👮‍♂️ 👮‍♀️

Participant
    • Total Posts 13240

Isn’t it a bit weird that someone who knows next to nothing about
    the horticultural scene, that would be me then, takes a great comfort
    reading about you guys that bring some reality into being. Bloody cheek
    Sam that after you moving something akin to the pillars of Hercules that
    your would be doner turned his nose up. Quite shocking.

Keep up the good work and didn’t Drone’s garden look like a work of art.
    Splendid work guys :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Was that the sixties or seventies Drone? Your back catalogues pretty immense.
    Big G yes a big cheek but no big deal just means I keep my distance and wood already reinstated elsewhere in the main through what was savable. I tend to recycle most of what I can if I can’t use it someone else invariably can.
    A Head chef has had a big box of artichokes today and it’s going on his menu as soon as he can change things around. I dug out a hidden pond for my 84 year old neighbour’s plot this morning I couldn’t see anything but weeds but took about ten mins to uncover it and it was in superb condition just top heavy with weeds but full of life and will be full of frogs in a very short space of time. Newts.birds slugs snails and pond life leading to much much more.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

I’ve had a nice tussle with the ginger tipster in the effect of non runners thread I didn’t get on the floor with him in battle because it’s not necessary to be right or score points but he tied himself up in knots and selectively fought his corner saying I was simply picking out short priced favourites. You might have noticed an Alexander horse can be any price as were the runner up and third at Santa Anita last night He skirted around that one.
    I do know what I’m on about and qualify everything I say if you don’t accept it or believe it that is fine I can’t prove it, you can’t disprove it,so there is no need to argue the toss, just agree to disagree.
    “INTO THE ARMS OF AMERICA “. So much energy in that U2 song and a busy day but room for a fourth winner. India couldn’t carry her 3lb bonus in the German group one race and found one too good but Irish Cambridgeshire runner up FALCON EIGHT bolted up stepped up in class to a group three today . The one that got away was BIG GOSSEY who won yet again today.
    The u2 link was that I met the album’s producer Roxy music star Brian Eno soon after he had produced the Joshua tree he was flying home to nearby Woodbridge he recommended it to me and when I listened to it he was right, it was excellent. What went wrong with the band and Bono after that was a rock thing and lost in showbiz is the norm for most bands.
    Half man half biscuit and “actung Bono” did it nicely and realised they’d (he’d) lost the plot sooner than most.

Hopefully one more selection

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

Churchill downs 2205
    Baba Voss
    Win
    Karma Director
    Each way
    Hard to fault Baba Voss but karma director drawn to go well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 13240

I don’t believe it Sam, I was waiting for Big Gossey running back at the
    Curragh. I even got an email before the Breeders Cup reminding me that he
    was on my tracker and I was going to pile into him. He loves the Curragh
    and his last 3 races have been away from the Curragh. They were all, IMO,
    getting him ready for his return to the Curragh. My head was scrambled after
    doing the Breeders Cup competition, the hardest competition I’ve ran. Anyway,
    I watched the rerun and he was brilliant, it was never in doubt so I’m happy.
    He just loves the Curragh, he’s worth half a stone more than his allocated
    weight. He’ll be back :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 13240

Ginger has his own way of looking at things but he does know his horses.
    Just carry on with your system Sam, it’s been going well and I’ll be sure
    to keep tabs and not miss any like the one we were both waiting for, Big
    Gossey at the Curragh on Sunday, I’m kicking myself for that. Keep at it :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 16526

I think Gingertipster is a nice bloke but if you read his replies though he is in a battle with his thoughts it seems to me. I said to him “ you could start an argument with yourself in a phone box, and still lose it!”. He said I was picking out favourites and attributing their performances to free energy. In essence that was partially true, but I don’t price up the horses. I then pointed out my choices included good night olive 🫒 and the 25/1 second followed by a another big priced second and double figure third proxy and the Japanese runner. He dashed for cover never to mention that again. Resurfacing yesterday after I’d put up India who was well beat in a group race in Germany yesterday.
    He has posted two videos about Tesla.
    So if nothing else it has provoked some debate.
    Drone has been the most open minded forumite and like with you and triptych I’ve conversed with him on pm. Very very rare that I pm anyone.
    Well Big G I hope we will get one last bite at BIG GOSSEY and like you I’m gutted to have missed him yet again. I’m going to read up and see the report on http://www.Irishracing.com to see if he is running in the yards future plans.
    My gardening “exploits” have led to a big push towards raising a few bob for my local hospice. I’m up to 31 bags now and I’m visiting a stable a couple of miles down the road in search of the “ black stuff” well rotted poo. The best part is a floral release I’ve received I’ve started visiting friends gardens and cutting blooms putting them in a cold bucket and giving them to the hospice shop to make up bouquets which they sell at very low prices. The arrangements have to be seen to be believed far better than what you’d actually get in a florist’s or a supermarket and all locally sourced with “no carbon footprint “. About twenty five bouquets made now and one was so good I described it as “ the floral fighting temaraire”. Hydrangea heads the size of footballs. All for under six pounds.
    I spent all day on the tree 🌲 job yesterday laying s new bed at the top of the L shaped bed. I got my old allotment lawn mower out and mowed the lawn next door just to get organic matter to throw on top of a no dig bed. First layer weeds, pressed down followed by cardboard soaked followed by fresher than usual poo 💩 full of straw. Next layer beech leaves and husks,full of soil, worms and casts and soaked in water in a wheelie bin for four days. next layer dry leaves out of a full builders bag next layer more leaves out of a builders bag. Next layer green freshly cut grass then more leaves topped over with some coffee grounds and hosed down. I’ve left it to the elements and in a few days I’ll find some leaf mould two year old stuff to cover the entire pile and then cover it over for a good month with a tarp. I’ve got some wooden boards retrieved from that job from which I won’t go back to…. I’ve also planted some wall flowers retrieved from a kerbside of weeds on the seafront which the council will clear or spray any day and planted some tulip bulbs. The soil at the front on the roadside is held in raised bed style a retaining wall so the bed is at waist high level and reachable by the osssing patch this bed the backwards letter l part of the bed is full of five year old organic material and Alive with worms I’ve dug it out a few times to use the soil on my allotments it’s alive with worms and as healthy as you can get. One thing missing here Molly Roberts. But I’m happy that the little yapper is peacefully curled up somewhere dog napping on some allotment dreaming of chasing rats into badger sets.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 295 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.