The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tingle Creek 2008

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Tingle Creek 2008

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 223 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

If so, then whats the reasoning?

At a guess I would say because both in France and at Aintree he gave in so easily you wouldn’t give 10 pence for him if you never knew who he was in the French race.

I know it was also over 2.m4f but there was just nothing there……no attempt at fighting back just Pffft! like someone blew out a candle.

Makes me think if Tidal bay gets into a battle with him MM won’t be up for it

• Total Posts 602

Good luck Darren and hope you have a great day. Having a horse that takes you to so many places as he has done must be a real pleasure.

Thanks for that David. To be honest, my own horse runs at Dortmund on Sunday, but I’m off to Sandown with Flipper this weekend, as I wouldn’t miss this for the world.

The owner isn’t going, so I’ll be there in my representative role. I probably won’t sleep a wink tonight – let’s face it, can you get bigger than a group 1 in the UK? Probably not!!

Darren – AngloGerman

‘The Hungarian’s going hell for leather’ – Jim McGrath

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I think Fiepes Shuffle can run a big race, he went off very fast last time on his previous visit.

I wonder if MM will take him on for the lead? I don’t think so.

I think it could be MM beating FS, with Tidal Bay running an hounourable/rusty thrid.

At LAST!!! Someone who thinks our Flipper has a chance!! Honourable mentions to Mr. Zip!!!

To be honest, we would be delighted with third. There’s only 7 in the race, and prize money for 6th, so we’ve got to give it a go. I’ll be in the parade ring with Jamie, and we’ll discuss tactics and see how things go. The ground might be slightly soft for him – he doesn’t mind it, but it was soft at Baden-Baden last time out, and he just got home. Certainly soft wouldn’t be a problem over 1 1/2 miles, but as far as I’m aware, the BHA don’t have any plans for chases of that distance!!! :D

Just a warning to any fellow TRFers who’ll be there, if you see a fat balding 40 something sweating like Overdose despite sub zero temperatures screaming down a mobile phone in German – that’ll be me then!! :D I may also be naked as my suit isn’t back from the dry cleaners yet, but I’m sure I’ll find something to cover up my modesty!!!

Darren – AngloGerman

I didn’t realise you were connected to the horse, Darren :D TBH, I was struggling to work out who "flipper" is… :?

I honestly do not see why he could not run a big race…if he could set a reasonable gallop and quicken it up as late as possible he has a genuine chance for a place.

Guess you’d know more on that score 8)

Anyways, very exciting – good luck!

Zip

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Good Luck Darren – Flipper seems to like Sandown and I backed him last season each way at a big price and certainly don’t think he should be 50/1.

• Total Posts 2440

Good luck tomorrow, Darren.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Tingle Creek Trivia.

Did you know Fiepes Shuffle ran his first race in Britain in the 2002 Flying Childers Stakes, he was 4th behind Wunders Dream.

Thank You

Martin
    ps. Darren I noticed a Mr D. Cook rode him a few starts back in an amateurs race, that wouldn’t be "D" for Darren would it? :wink:

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Wow – I would never have known that he’d run in the Flying Childers :shock:

Zip

chelt king
    • Total Posts 30

Wen master minded won the champion chase he beat the 169 rated voy por ustedes by 15 lenghts (arkle champ chase winner),the 152 rated fair long by 35lengths (triumpth and arkle runner up),the 154 rated schindlers hunt by 36l and the 159 rated newmill by 44 lengths.So if you look at the figures and distances all the horses beat each other by almost exactly the distances there offical ratings said they would!.Making me wonder how people think mm is a overated horse wen all the horses imo in that race ran to there marks so i think a rating off 186 is very fair for mm imoMaybe tb can run better then his current mark but why cant mm over his best trip?.Also what horses did TB beat in the arkle?,I think in due cause TB will need further he got away with it in the arkle because they were a moderate lot and a classy horse would off found it easy to look good.Now TB is against sum very classy 2m chasers and the champ in mm i think you will see a big gap 2morrow and they will have to move tb up in tip imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 32979

Master Minded is a very young horse with little experience over British fences. It is not surprising he made a mistake at Aintree. I do wonder whether it was a physical or mental problem after smashing through the fence, and not suspect stamina. Seemed to go out like a light that day. Watching MM’s performances it seems jockeys try to keep him wide, away from other runners, or in front. Possibly jumps better that way and made his big mistake at Aintree when upsides Voy Por Ustedes. Will be interesting to see if AP will keep him wide again. If he is 100% physically and mentally fit there is still every chance Master Minded can improve again this season.

Tidal Bay beat nothing of the calibre of VPU. A 13 length beating of Kruguyrova (who did not jump well), all be it giving him 7lbs comes up way short. Even if a very good performance for a novice and obviously does have improvement in him. Can not see how some people believe Tidal Bay has as much pace as the favourite. Three out in the Arkle was not moving as well as Thyne Again (amongst others). Where as MM moved supremely well throughout the Champion.

If Master Minded is back to the Champion Chase form Tidal Bay is very unlikely to finish anywhere near him (especially at this stage). To beat Voy Por Ustedes that easily (won eased down without coming under pressure), by that far (19 lengths), with daylight between second and third (16 lengths), in that time (almost 8 seconds faster than Tidal Bay), is a fabulous effort. Whatever happens tomorrow.

4/6 looks a good value price for those who like to bet odds on.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 602

Tingle Creek Trivia.

Did you know Fiepes Shuffle ran his first race in Britain in the 2002 Flying Childers Stakes, he was 4th behind Wunders Dream.

Yes, Mario Hofer trained him then. Christian got him the following year. Excellent performance, but we can’t take credit for that one!!

ps. Darren I noticed a Mr D. Cook rode him a few starts back in an amateurs race, that wouldn’t be "D" for Darren would it? :wink:

Ha ha ha!! No. If I rode him, the poor thing would get about 20 yards before collapsing!! That was Danny Cook, who rode him in the Lake Race at Bad Harzburg where he was 20 lengths clear turning into the home straight and slipped and fell on the last bend. The form in the Racing Post seems to show it as unseated, but really, he just slipped.

Darren – AngloGerman

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks Darren. Didn’t know Danny Cook before tonight and I saw a D. Cook riding at Chepstow tommorow :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I shall be cheering on Twist Magic in the Tingle creek, i still think of him as
    a Champion Chaser even if he ran like a pig in last years Champion ch.I would love to know his ground preferences as he was supposed to hate Soft ground on the morning of last years tingle creek( 11/4 in the morning,
    drifted out to 11/2 by post time) due to P.Nicholls comments in the Racing Post that day,he duly won like the good horse he is! I am sure the ground was soft in the 07 Arkle when he was still tanking along before coming to grief at the 2nd last! I will get a run for my money at 12/1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

As it’s turned out not a race to bet on as try as I might I can’t oppose Master Minded strongly enough to warrant putting up one or more against him. As things stand thoughts of betting Tidal Bay have evaporated now he’s into ~11/4, though I suspect this market may prove volatile come the live shows.

I’ll make a forecast that B Dennis bismarck’s MM and Tom Segal puts up TB :)

Of the others I make Fiepes Shuffle considerably shorter than the ~80 available, Twist Magic is long, and Takeroc is drifting wildly

Master Minded 5/4 (2.3)
    Tidal Bay 11/4 (3.85)
    Twist Magic 9/1 (10.5)
    Takeroc 9/1 (10.5)
    Fiepes Shuffle 11/1 (13.0)
    L’Antartique 80/1 (100)
    Mahogany Blaze 80/1 (100)

Figures in brackets are Exchange prices to back, a tad over-broke to take into account commish

All a bit of a mess really, and the ploy in these circumstances once-upon-a-time would be to hope MM drifts to my price of 2.3 and back that, and that alone. Though I don’t bother with bets at those sort of prices nowadays, ‘value’ or not. If he were to drift to 3.0…bite those layers fingers off (pigs might fly)

This race is actually a good example of the type I personally do badly in: two essentially unexposed horses comprising the front two and the problem of having to employ too much unquantifiable supposition (IMO) when weighing up their chances with respect to each other.

Great race though, enjoy (and good luck ‘Flipper’)

• Total Posts 602

I didn’t realise you were connected to the horse, Darren :D TBH, I was struggling to work out who "flipper" is… :?

Sorry about that Zip! In the stable he always has and always will be known as Flipper. Unless he wins tomorrow, in which case it will be Sir Flipper OBE!!

My connection is that I work for Christian as Owners representative. Basically, most German owners don’t make the trip when their horses come over to England, so I have to make sure the horse has travelled over OK, gives the instructions to the jockey in the parade ring, and if he wins, get my hands on the trophy. That would be nice!!

I honestly do not see why he could not run a big race…if he could set a reasonable gallop and quicken it up as late as possible he has a genuine chance for a place.

Guess you’d know more on that score 8)

Anyways, very exciting – good luck!

Zip

Well, we’ll be discussing tactics tomorrow (I’ve got a good idea what we’ll be doing but I’ve got to keep schtum at the moment). There’s prize money all the way down to 6th, but we’ll be delighted with 3rd to be honest. Even finishing 5th gets you about £5,000, so it’s really worth the trip.

Just a big thanks to everyone wishing us good luck. Let’s hope Flipper can put in a great performance and do us all proud!

Darren – AngloGerman

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Meh! I’m all the sadder that I’m missing Sandown tomorrow now, as I’d have swung by and said hello otherwise, Darren.

I know you’re bricking it over tomorrow, so a few minutes’ light relief of my appalling German racing puns would have sorted you out nicely… or else been the final straw to tip you over into homicide mode. 8)

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

What are the odds on Twist Magic finishing last? Cracking bet I’d say.

Takeroc would surely be the only ‘threat’ if he jumps…and finds anything when asked…and shows some stomach for it…

• Total Posts 602

Meh! I’m all the sadder that I’m missing Sandown tomorrow now, as I’d have swung by and said hello otherwise, Darren.

Thanks for that Jeremy, and a pity you won’t be at Sandown. However, if any other TRFers want to say hello, just look out for someone getting more mentally unhinged as 2:35 approaches!!

I know you’re bricking it over tomorrow, so a few minutes’ light relief of my appalling German racing puns would have sorted you out nicely… or else been the final straw to tip you over into homicide mode. 8) gc

Yes, ‘bricking it’ is putting it mildly at the moment, but some appalling German racing puns would’t go amiss – I guess you’d have come up with something like:

NEUSS to see you, to see you NEUSS.

Sorry, had too much to drink last night – I’ve got a HANNOVER.

Back in a minute – Must GOTHA the toilet.

I look so scruffy – I must have got DRESDEN the dark.

Right, I’m off to bed now. In shame.

Darren – AngloGerman

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 223 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.