The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Smug Henry

Home Forums Horse Racing The Smug Henry

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 762 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

A friend and myself hung around the pre-parade ring after one of the later races. Henry said the following;

No to the Juddmonte.
    Yes to QE2, not the Champion Stakes.
    Stays in training next season.
    Will have no problem with 10f.

And I even had the privilege of shaking his hand after I requested it. The great man asked me ‘Are you sure you want to?’ :D

• Total Posts 1402

A friend and myself hung around the pre-parade ring after one of the later races. Henry said the following;

No to the Juddmonte.
    Yes to QE2, not the Champion Stakes.
    Stays in training next season.
    Will have no problem with 10f.

And I even had the privilege of shaking his hand after I requested it. The great man asked me ‘Are you sure you want to?’ :D

Quality :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

Watched the replay of todays race and the hairs on the back of my neck raised again. Frankel is simply a magnificent horse and Queally gave him a great ride today. He is such an exciting horse, he had CC on the ropes 3f from home it was all over. He makes very good horses look very ordinary. I cant wait to see him race again.

You just have to admire his superiority and his pure talent. He is an incredible horse!! Delighted he will be racing as a 4yr old. Hope he stays safe now hes worth a few bob or two!! :lol: :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Superb performance, must be one of the great milers, but toi a ture great he’ll ahve to do it over 10-12 furlongs, the real championship distnace
    Derby, Arc, American Triple Crown, Breeder Cup Classic: the most competitive and pretigious races, all over 10-12. I truly hope Frankel proves himself over these distances, and it is great to hear he’ll stay in training next year, so he has time.
    I’m really pleased for Henry Cecil, a true gentleman

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I just counted how many strides it took Frankel and Canford to cover the mile.

Canford Cliffs: 240

Frankel: 218

A difference of 22 strides.

Considering it took Canford 32 strides to cover the last furlong (give or take a stride or two), he’s travelled an extra half furlong compared to the giant striding Frankel!

• Total Posts 1415

A special word for Tom Queally as well. He was heavily crticised by many myself included for the ride he gave Frankel at Ascot but in the Sussex he gave the horse a magnificent ride and was coolness itself. Before the race he looked way cooler than he did at Ascot where he looked a nervous wreck. Not today, he actually left it later than I thought he would to ask Frankel to stretch. Well done Tom.

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

Notice that you’ve omitted RDLP’s rating – is that because he would have to have shown 5lbs or more improvement – in his 22nd race – to justify the theory that Canford Cliffs ran to his best.

Your reasoning goes astray because you fail to factor in that

Canford Cliffs

was ridden to try and win the race, whilst

Rio de la Plata

was ridden to pick up the pieces. He’s therefore flattered by his proximity to the Hannon horse, as you rightly say – but not because Canford Cliffs ran below his best. He tried his best, and it broke him. His finishing so close to Rio de la Plata reflects that fact.

In this case, relative ratings are pretty much irrelevant.

So Rio De La Plata was not even trying and got with in 3 lengths of Canford Cliffs and 8 of Frankel……….

Frankel is an absolute superstar, but any open minded person can see Canford Cliffs was off his game yesterday.

As far as I am concerned Frankel rated 135.

Participant
    • Total Posts 91

A special word for Tom Queally as well. He was heavily crticised by many myself included for the ride he gave Frankel at Ascot but in the Sussex he gave the horse a magnificent ride and was coolness itself. Before the race he looked way cooler than he did at Ascot where he looked a nervous wreck. Not today, he actually left it later than I thought he would to ask Frankel to stretch. Well done Tom.

And he was incredibly humble after the race.

racinglover
    • Total Posts 32

Can someone explain to me why when everyone was talking about syt the majority of people claimed he wasn’t so great because of sri putra. As in the majority of people were using the run of the poorly rated horse to measure it by and ignoring runs of better horses because they were supposedly below par.

Yet with frankel it’s the other way round, the minority are saying this – whereas the majority are using the run of canford and ignoring the run of the poorly rated horse.

AIC
    • Total Posts 116

No to the Juddmonte.

Wise move too. With such an enormous stud value at stake you don’t want to be taking on the best 10f horse in the world until you are absolutely sure your horse can do it.

AIC
    • Total Posts 116

Can someone explain to me why when everyone was talking about syt the majority of people claimed he wasn’t so great because of sri putra. As in the majority of people were using the run of the poorly rated horse to measure it by and ignoring runs of better horses because they were supposedly below par.

Yet with frankel it’s the other way round, the minority are saying this – whereas the majority are using the run of canford and ignoring the run of the poorly rated horse.

1. SYT is an Australian horse.
    2. English arrogance, ie "it’s not possible any of these blow in bush scrubber colonial hacks could be better than one of our english regally bred thoroughbreds".
    3. Connect the dots.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Do horses wave flags?

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

And how may I ask will you get to be absolutely sure you can do it? Lester once said that a good trainer can train a bad horse and a bad trainer cannot train any horse and a good horse will train himself.So why the fuss about Sir Henry? John Oxx would have won two classics by now and at least three Group One all age races with this son of Galileo.And have the Arc to come.

• Total Posts 1415

It isn’t comparing like for like. Sri Putras proximity (twice) to So You Think gives little doubt about the merits of the form in ratings terms it means So You Think cannot earn ratings some would like him too. Rio De La Plata on the other hand is a horse officially rated 120 and Frankels rating for yesterday through Rio De La Plata (if using 120 as a guide) would see him hit a mark of 135. The best you could give So You Think through Sri Putra is 125.

For what its worth I have Rio De La Plata (a 3x Group 1 winner) 118 on my ratings and Sri Putra (never won a Group 1) on 114. I believe both ran to their best form on the ocassions in question, there is no reason to believe either didn’t and i have So You Think 123 and Frankel 133 which is the highest I have ever rated a horse. The next two are Dubai Millennium 132 and Harbinger (on his King George win) 131.

Even Rajsaman who finished forth yesterday has a top RPR of 120. I have him as a 115 horse but have him a couple of pounds below his best yesterday. It is possible to rate Frankel even higher if using Rajsaman as a guide. Whichever way you look on it, that was one hell of a performance from Frankel yesterday and puts him way clear of So You Think. There wasn’t a poor horse in the race.

birdsnest
    • Total Posts 17

another devoted forum reader if not poster got to leave after reading this thread ….

weve now got to put up with the normal drivel from Yanks who lets face it have just about got the best of everything and cant take anyone else thinking they have …..how can you take comments seriously about how good their sports are when they call their teams world champions in sports that no -one else plays ……

thank you for a good couple of years reading …bye bye

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

And how may I ask will you get to be absolutely sure you can do it? Lester once said that a good trainer can train a bad horse and a bad trainer cannot train any horse and a good horse will train himself.So why the fuss about Sir Henry? John Oxx would have won two classics by now and at least three Group One all age races with this son of Galileo.And have the Arc to come.

and then retired him at 3

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Ignore him Birdsnest. I havent read a word after his first post. There will always be one. Jesus now I know how Jesus felt! :D

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 762 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.