The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Smug Henry

Home Forums Horse Racing The Smug Henry

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 762 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1415

Even Prince Khalid rates Frankel better than Dancing Brave. You can’t ask any more than than that.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I didn’t see the post-race interview but if Richard Hannon suggested Canford Cliffs was below par I think it would be hard to argue with that assessment.

Did the time figure suggest this was an exceptional performance?

• Total Posts 1415

I didn’t see the post-race interview but if Richard Hannon suggested Canford Cliffs was below par I think it would be hard to argue with that assessment.

Lol. How many more excuses? Canford wasn’t held up he tried to track Frankel and he got the same fate everything else had that tried to track him – completely broken.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

I have no doubt that Frankel is a ‘great’ horse, but

‘one of the greats’

is a little premature. Today’s form is full of negatives. RdlP being so close is a big one. Even Richard Hughes was saying it wasn’t CCs true running, and Hannon said he wants another crack at the winner.
    If Frankel can win at York, i’ll step into line and salute :)
    At the moment, STS was the better horse on form, and Frankel’s wins flatter him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

R Hughes had always said the faster they go the better. I think if they were to meet again someone like Cape Blanco or another would be employed to make a faster early pace. I’m not saying the result would be any different possibly Frankel would win by more but Frankel had the run of the race today and wasn’t inconvenienced by making it himself.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

birdsnest
    • Total Posts 17

why is it excuse after excuse after excuse

before the race its find out who the true champion is then after the race its this didnt go right , that didnt go right etc etc

JUST ACCEPT IT and move on …..

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

I plead guiltier than most to charges of trying to fault Frankel, so while the run of Canford Cliffs may warrant further scrutiny in the cold light of a new day, for the meantime while the dust remains unsettled I’m more than content to go along with those who believe we’ve just seen an exceptional colt run an exceptional race

Marvellous to watch

• Total Posts 1402

Richard Hannon didn’t say anything was wrong with CC, he just made the point that he didn’t think the track suited him.

As for the time, I don’t suppose it will be anything special as the went quite slowly for the first couple of furlongs but I’d be very interested to see the sectionals…

Limestone Lad
    • Total Posts 13

I have no doubt that Frankel is a ‘great’ horse, but

‘one of the greats’

is a little premature. Today’s form is full of negatives. RdlP being so close is a big one. Even Richard Hughes was saying it wasn’t CCs true running, and Hannon said he wants another crack at the winner.
    If Frankel can win at York, i’ll step into line and salute :)
    At the moment, STS was the better horse on form, and Frankel’s wins flatter him.

Please. Every horse that has tried going with Frankel thus far has failed miserably, the ones that’ve got close have all been held up, last off the bridle bar Frankel. Native Khan, Dubawi Gold (who regressed hugely when trying to chase Frankel at Ascot), Zoffany, Excelebration. His wins don’t flatter him. He simply breaks the other horses. Canford for the first time today was taken off his feet. He couldn’t live with Frankel’s easy injection of pace. It is therefore no surprise that RDP got closer to him than at Ascot, when CC had matters under control. You also have to note that RDP, at Ascot, got himself into a challenging position unlike today.

Was Frankel even hit with the whip today? The ease of his win was most impressive and he fully deserves the endless superlatives.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

why is it excuse after excuse after excuse

before the race its find out who the true champion is then after the race its this didnt go right , that didnt go right etc etc

JUST ACCEPT IT and move on …..

What I like is the way when Workforce drifts across the track "he must be feeling something", yet when CC drifts it’s because he had his heart broken?
    Wordplay is a great thing isn’t it? It can be moulded to whatever serves the argument at hand.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh my goodness NO! How can we question this great great horse…After all he was spotted 8lbs and a 3 length lead in a match race. I haven’t seen anything so dramatic since the legendary Rachel Alexandra’s Woodward. It blows Secretariat away. This horse Frankel was much better than that other superstar Sea the Stars. You remember him, don’t you? He was supposed to be the second coming too until they decided to DUCK Zenyatta…Hmmm always wondered why…When is Frankel coming here anyway? Lets keep it real and let me give the last word. Easy Goer would beat this horse by 10, Secretariat by 20. If he comes here which he won’t, this is what they do..Sidney’s Candy will run him right off his feet. STOP SWALLOWING all the EURO BS…Hey, can I at least bow to the Queen too? :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1658

Oh my goodness NO! How can we question this great great horse…After all he was spotted 8lbs and a 3 length lead in a match race. I haven’t seen anything so dramatic since the legendary Rachel Alexandra’s Woodward. It blows Secretariat away. This horse Frankel was much better than that other superstar Sea the Stars. You remember him, don’t you? He was supposed to be the second coming too until they decided to DUCK Zenyatta…Hmmm always wondered why…When is Frankel coming here anyway? Lets keep it real and let me give the last word. Easy Goer would beat this horse by 10, Secretariat by 20. If he comes here which he won’t, this is what they do..Sidney’s Candy will run him right off his feet. STOP SWALLOWING all the EURO BS…Hey, can I at least bow to the Queen too? :roll:

Just stop.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rio De La plata at his best is rated 120 although I have him 118. That makes Frankel 133 which is the highest rating I’ve ever given a horse and I’ve been doing this since 1989. Canford anmd the French horse’s ratings are in line too. Sometimes you just have to admit you’ve seen greatness.

Notice that you’ve omitted RDLP’s rating – is that because he would have to have shown 5lbs or more improvement – in his 22nd race – to justify the theory that Canford Cliffs ran to his best.
    Take nothing away from Frankel, he truly is a great horse and ran the race of his life today, but it would be churlish not to recognise that Canford Cliffs probably didn’t.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

It’d be hard to placde any question marks beside this horse. Looks to be capable of dealing with anything.

birdsnest
    • Total Posts 17

RACING DAILY – DID I MENTION WORKFORCE ..NO , what planet are you on ???

also just seen the Hannon interview and he says he didnt like the track ….didnt like running downhill but then it was pointed out that he did the same at newbury …which let me think …isnt that quite flat ???…

maybe this is your favourite horse or something , i dont know , but let me just point out ive never bet on Frankel , hes not my favourite , i have no other interests in him , but i do accept that he is the best horse of the year (AT THE MOMENT)

It doestn matter one jot to me if there is a rematch and the places are reversed , i just wish people wouldnt shout their own prefered horse from the rooftops and then make excuses when it loses , as i said earlier , i stopped doing that when i was 10

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Today, I sat in a hospital waiting room; noticed that the time was 3.09, so phoned Mrs Himself and asked her to put her phone to the tv (ch4) and turn the sound up so that i could listen to the race unfold. I whooped with delight as I heard Simon holt call Frankel home.

I have now watched a re-run of the race online and I have just witnessed one of the great mile performances of all time. I would go as far to say that even the equally great Brigadier Gerard would have struggled to beat Frankel on that form. The manner in which he readily left Canford Cliffs for dead was mindblowing; in fact, it gave me goosebumps. Sir Henry Cecil’s colt simply blew Canford Cliffs away without turning a hair.

When Khalid Abdullah states after the race that he rates Frankel above Dancing Brave and Sir Henry says this is the best horse he has seen, then you know they have something very special on their hands.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Notice that you’ve omitted RDLP’s rating – is that because he would have to have shown 5lbs or more improvement – in his 22nd race – to justify the theory that Canford Cliffs ran to his best.

Your reasoning goes astray because you fail to factor in that

Canford Cliffs

was ridden to try and win the race, whilst

Rio de la Plata

was ridden to pick up the pieces. He’s therefore flattered by his proximity to the Hannon horse, as you rightly say – but not because Canford Cliffs ran below his best. He tried his best, and it broke him. His finishing so close to Rio de la Plata reflects that fact.

In this case, relative ratings are pretty much irrelevant.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 762 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.