The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The official "shocking ride from Joseph O’Brien" thread

Home Forums Horse Racing The official "shocking ride from Joseph O’Brien" thread

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 161 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

Too far back turning in, taken back twice by tiring horses, never had a chance of catching the flyer…

Massively disappointing and I’m only grateful I didn’t bother making the trip to Doncaster because I don’t think I’ve winced so hard.

• Total Posts 504

flat racing to. a. tee. hee.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

No doubt someone will tell us we’re wrong, but I make you right. I expected him to be kept nearer the pace to make more use of the colt’s speed. He was flying at the death.

• Total Posts 504

Someone had £29,000 on him on Betfair. Rather a lot of laying off to get through there.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

He was immediately defended on channel four with Francs telling us that Camelot wasn’t travelling.

I had no money on the race and am not one for bashing jockeys but I think the pressure well and truly got atop of young Joseph there. My heart goes out to the lad but the phrase "getting a boy to do a man’s job" rarely resonates louder than it does here.

Incidentally, that was a good ride from Mickael Barzalona.

Someone had £29,000 on him on Betfair. Rather a lot of laying off to get through there.

I think connections have lost considerably more than £29,000 in stud fees.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Aidan O’Brien appears to allow his heart to rule his head…

although Camelot didn’t help his jockey when the panic button was pressed, by putting his head in the air and swishing his tail… allowing the winner to get a couple of lengths – so perhaps a little ungenuine under pressure is Camelot… but he certainly stayed alright…

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

No doubt someone will tell us we’re wrong, but I make you right. I expected him to be kept nearer the pace to make more use of the colt’s speed. He was flying at the death.

You’re wrong Hammy. :wink:

Why would a horse held up in both the 2000 Guineas and Derby be ridden nearer the pace at 1m6f+? A horse with "speed" enough to win a Guineas should be held up to make use of that speed at the end of the race.

Camelot wasn’t at his best today. As someone once said, "horses are not machines".

I was a bit surprised Joseph took him to the inner, remembering what happened to Sea Moon last year. But other than that the jockey didn’t do anything wrong.

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Camelot had enough time to reel the winner in but his run petered out and his headway on the winner stopped. Maybe it was the extra distance or maybe he simply isn’t as good as the connections thought. I have said many times that his form had little substance to it. "Duffman had a bad feeling about that"

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

• Total Posts 1402

I thought it was interesting that Simon Crisford has just said in his interview on CH4 that their instructions to Mikael Barzalona were to keep an eye on the pacemaker as they anticipated that the pacemaker might be there to slow the pace up rather than make a fast pace.

My thoughts during the race were that the pacemaker was setting the race up to suit a horse racing prominently rather than a hold-up horse and all credit to Mikael for having the awareness to kick on when he did.

Unfortunately for Camelot, track position was crucial today and his connections made the mistake of assuming the pacemaker was there to make it a strong pace.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Gibberish interview with O’Brien snr who looked completely rattled (esp due to the tic-like "listen" count which reached garagantuan proportions).

Could do without McGrath implying that Francome is some sort of savant as he said that Camelot wasn’t travelling after a few furlongs. Total nonsense, he was going fine.

As for O’Brien jnr, thought it was a bizarre decision to switch to the inside rather than just bring the horse with a withering run down the outer a la the Derby. Mind, I disagree that Camelot was ‘flying at the death’, thought he was just staying on against the tiring winner.

This race is a graveyard for hot favourites and it just shows how difficult the Triple Crown (top form from early May to mid-September remeber) really is.

Mike

• Total Posts 213

Regardless of the result, "switching inside out of the turn entering the home straight" was dangerous. All i was thinking was OMG, a shame it happened like this, I really didn’t want to see it.

It didn’t look good early on.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

You’re wrong Hammy. :wink:

Why would a horse held up in both the 2000 Guineas and Derby be ridden nearer the pace at 1m6f+? A horse with "speed" enough to win a Guineas should be held up to make use of that speed at the end of the race.

Camelot wasn’t at his best today. As someone once said, "horses are not machines".

I was a bit surprised Joseph took him to the inner, remembering what happened to Sea Moon last year. But other than that the jockey didn’t do anything wrong.

I don’t do fifty line posts and twenty page internet debates, even when I believe I’m right. :wink:

We’ll have to agree to differ.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32997

Aidan O’Brien appears to allow his heart to rule his head…

although Camelot didn’t help his jockey when the panic button was pressed, by putting his head in the air and swishing his tail… allowing the winner to get a couple of lengths – so perhaps a little ungenuine under pressure is Camelot… but he certainly stayed alright…

"Ungenuine" may be a little strong UM, Camelot certainly has some quirks. Looking at how he put his head in the air and didn’t go clear of Born To Sea in the Irish Derby. Possibly similar form to today. Agreed, it wasn’t stamina that undid Camelot.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 750

There are no certainties in racing. Well, except for the fact that if Camelot lost there would be a thread like this one.

• Total Posts 1402

Gibberish interview with O’Brien snr who looked completely rattled (esp due to the tic-like "listen" count which reached garagantuan proportions).

I think it must have dawned on Aiden after a couple of furlongs that he’d been tactically outsmarted by John Gosden. We all knew that Camelot would be held up and the one way to beat a hold-up horse is to ensure there is a slow pace.

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

anybody who thinks joseph done nothing wrong on camelot is just saying it because they can and because camelot lost. its almost as if they wanted camelot to loose, and they are glad that he has. why?

francome talks complete **** as well. why wasn’t camelot at his best today? because he didn’t win? the horse was flying at the end.

it disgusts me at the way joseph was sitting there motionlessly when the camera focused in, and all the others were hard at work. after the race, you can see when joseph is pulling camelot up that he knows he has messed up, by the look on his face. not because of the horse losing, but because of his errors.

nevertheless, i will back camelot for the arc, providing he runs. i fail to be drawn into the aob is "avoiding the older horses" with camelot.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Just so there is no doubt whatsoever – I was on Thought Worthy (albeit e/w). Now that’s cleared up…

Fallon.

Hanagan.

Hughes.

Moore.

Four jockeys who did not have a ride in the St Leger.

Fallon.

Hanagan.

Hughes.

Moore.

Four jockeys who are better than Joseph O’Brien

Fallon.

Hanagan.

Hughes.

Moore.

Four jockeys who would have won on Camelot.

End of.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 161 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.