The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Nurses’ Strike

Home Forums Lounge The Nurses’ Strike

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Virtually every nurse (or care worker, come to that) I’ve ever met has the same thing in common.

They are caring, compassionate, people and that and the vital, life-preserving, nature of their profession means employers can take advantage of them and their “moral compass” is questioned (even among their colleagues) if they strike.

But anyone who has literally zero right to strike is a form of slave.

The right to strike is actually a human right.

But yet again I reiterate – and Richard summed it up perfectly with all the succinctness I invariably lack – there have already been far more deaths caused by nurses resigning, working their notice, leaving altogether and not being replaced, than will be caused by the remaining ones going on strike for a limited number of days.

Nursing – such a cracking job no one wants to fill the six-figure number of opportunities to get into it.

I reckon you’d need to increase pay by 190%, never mind 19%, before you filled all those vacancies.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 1759

The huge flaw with that BBC article on pay is that it doesnt take into account Unsocial hours payments.
    Show me a nurse who doesnt have to work a Saturday or Sunday at least once a month, maybe it’s twice/month?
    On a Saturday they get 30% top-up to their normal daily rate. On a Sunday it’s 60%.

They also get overtime at 1.5x normal pay (as the article says). Many co s in my old industry stopped paying O/T 10 plus years ago. If you had to work extra some days to finish a job you didnt get paid any O/T.

Many nurses are at the lower Band 5, because they’ve likely joined the profession in last few years. Pretty standard stuff in any large co with a pay grade structure.

Pay rises are obtained by moving through a Grade and then onto the next grade. One aspect the RCN supremo, Cullen, doesnt talk about. Increases in pay, for individuals, isnt just about annually agreed cost of living rises.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Sorry for (yet again) sounding like a broken record, but, for like the millionth time, if nurses are actually better off than is being claimed, how come there’s a six-figure number of vacancies going?

Conservative free marketeers are very fond of extolling the virtues of market forces UNTIL the focus is on scarcity of supply in the labour market.

Demand for nurses exceeds supply by a six-figure amount.

The laws of supply and demand dictate the salaries of nurses need to rise until supply meets that level of demand.

I doubt even the 19% they’re asking for would do it, tbh.

By every economic measure, they’re chronically underpaid for what they have to do.

The market forces of supply and demand illustrate this.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“On a Saturday they get 30% top-up to their normal daily rate. On a Sunday it’s 60%.”

One of my best friends is a Band 5 nurse. I’ll get your claim verified (or not) by her tomorrow.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

They are scraping the bottom, but earn 37000 after the 1400 increase plus the general increase they got last March – more than the average wage and more than nurses in France.
    Lack of nurses is down to lack of provision for training.
    19% would take them to 44000 or 864 weekly. They should polish bottoms for that !

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

That £37k figure includes overtime and management grades.

As usual, it’s a misleading argument from the rightwing media.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

No – their basic pay increased to £35600 in March 22 then the 1400 brought it up to 37000 if you believe BBC news website – it’s there in black and white and colour.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“19% would take them to 44000 or 864 weekly. They should polish bottoms for that !”

At what salary would gamble make the decision to make a late career switch into nursing?

Because Chezza wants 100 large basic to even think about it.

And Chezza would make a terrible nurse: “He’s flatlining! Get off your phone!” “Are you serious? They’re approaching the last and I’m still in with a chance here!” “He’s died!” “Yeah and I got done on the line – everyone’s having a bad day.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

“No – their basic pay increased to £35600 in March 22”

A Band 5 nurse is not on those wages.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

I’d like to get into midwifery for those spondoolies and would whisper in the newborn’s ear – ‘I’m a high earner as well having blue blood’

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Glads seems to be challenging the BBC with something called a band 5 – might that be a trainee ? I’ll go check !

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Band 5 is a newly qualified nurse or staff nurse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

Ah I have found out the 35600 is the average pay for all nurses ( so including bottom and top rung )

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

£27k is the basic pay for a nurse, the day that they walk into the job.
    Just like £84,144 is the basic salary for an MP. And nurses can’t claim for a duck pond or other such rubbish.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Saw Sunaks interview before the committee yesterday …. Horrific , so smug , they seem to think they can sit this out ….. There so wrong

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Wilts, when are going to apply for a job in nursing?

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

It would be good to get some real world figures for nurses’ pay. Personally I don’t think they would change my opinion as I don’t think we’ll suddenly find out that they are all on 50k or something.

I see no problem with paying them for overtime. More pay for more work, simple. If private industries don’t want to pay it that’s up to them. If you don’t like it, ask for a raise, go on strike or quit.

Moe raises a good point about parking, that and other expenses add up. Yes we all have that but I for example avoid it by working at home, clearly a nurse can’t do that. These days they generally have to have a degree too so student loans need to be paid off.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.