The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most under-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most under-rated horse of all time

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

VPU is a good horse but Master Minded kind of put him into context.

Where, at Aintree? Vor Por Ustedes is clearly a better horse at 2 1/2m+ than he ever was at 2m.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

He was impressive yesterday, but it was a four runner race on heavy ground and I don’t think Tamarinbleu had one of his going days.

Nearly all of VPU’s form tells us he is a decent 170ish chaser, but no more than that..

• Total Posts 1415

Under-rated from the flat Rodrigo De Triano and in particular Lammtarra. Four runs four wins incl. Derby, King George and Arc. Fast ground, soft ground.

That was some horse.

• Total Posts 1688

Other under-rated horses worth mentioning. (As I try to steer this topic back on track)

Monarchos
    Swain
    High Chaparral
    Sulamani

• Total Posts 1688

Under-rated from the flat Rodrigo De Triano and in particular Lammtarra. Four runs four wins incl. Derby, King George and Arc. Fast ground, soft ground.

That was some horse.

Wow – are you sure? Lammtarra is an incredible story that brings out a full circle of emotions. He is a famous individual like Shergar IMO.

Now you’ve mentioned RdT, I had a look through past 2,000 Guineas winners – I can’t help but list a good portion of these as particularly under-rated:

Golan
    King’s Best
    King Of Kings
    Mark of Esteem
    Mister Baileys
    Tirol
    Pennekamp
    Refuse To Bend

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Oh, and Sinndar. What a machine he was.

• Total Posts 1415

Oh, and Sinndar. What a machine he was.

Yes, true. One of the very best.

• Total Posts 1688

How about Djebel?

Champion French two-year-old won the 2,000 Guineas and eventually the Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe, and was champion sire in France twice.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I hope VPU continues to be as underrated as he is, he has been one of my most profitable horses for the last few seasons!

Really? I don’t doubt you’re telling the truth, but he seems to have lost a LOT over the last few years. And more often than not at fairly short prices (well, not backable e/w anyway). I can think of many, many horses who would’ve been more profitable to follow over the last few years

Like Divine Man I have found him profitable for me as well – indeed I have made more profit on VPU than any other horse.

Yes he has lost a number of races, however most of the races he lost there was always strong chance he was going to lose, so those days I layed him.

Just because I love a horse to bits, it does not mean I am blinded when it comes to betting. Get emotional when you bet and you are soon in the poor house.

The secret is knowing when to back, when to lay and when to leave alone.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

I’d say Pride, she was better than Ouija Board and still improving when she was retired.

• Total Posts 2440

Voy Por is a horse i think is under-rated, vastly under-rated for some reason.

I absolutely love the horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Officialy, not under-rated, but I have noticed that Dubai Millenium has more than a few detractors.

I think he was a helluva racehorse and over a mile and a quarter would have matched strides with the very best of them.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

The Dice Man
    • Total Posts 85

I hope VPU continues to be as underrated as he is, he has been one of my most profitable horses for the last few seasons!

Really? I don’t doubt you’re telling the truth, but he seems to have lost a LOT over the last few years. And more often than not at fairly short prices (well, not backable e/w anyway). I can think of many, many horses who would’ve been more profitable to follow over the last few years

Like Divine Man I have found him profitable for me as well – indeed I have made more profit on VPU than any other horse.

Yes he has lost a number of races, however most of the races he lost there was always strong chance he was going to lose, so those days I layed him.

Just because I love a horse to bits, it does not mean I am blinded when it comes to betting. Get emotional when you bet and you are soon in the poor house.

The secret is knowing when to back, when to lay and when to leave alone.

Yes this would have been pretty much exactly my answer. I think he’s very predictable and always runs well in his favoured circumstances (the most important of which is decent ground)

• Total Posts 2184

If everyone says that VPU is underrated does that not mean that he is highly rated??

Beef Or Salmon for me anyway

• Total Posts 1415

Officialy, not under-rated, but I have noticed that Dubai Millenium has more than a few detractors.

I think he was a helluva racehorse and over a mile and a quarter would have matched strides with the very best of them.

He never beat anything of note (on turf anyway) that ran to their form. I’d actually say he was over-rated on ratings in particular.

On dirt I couldn’t really say because its not my game but on turf there have been better.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

I agree with the replies regarding Lammtarra, King’s Best and Dubai Millennium. Maybe Zafonic and Mtoto were underrated too.

Horses over NH that quickly spring to my mind are Combs Ditch, Maori Venture and, possibily, Silver Buck.

The ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ hurdler Bird’s Nest may be one too.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I admired Voy Por as a 2-miler, he’s always been a thoroughly likeable horse, but at same time was pretty sure he was the best of a bad bunch (until Master Minded came along, of course). Now knowing that he’s been a 2 1/2 miler all along I wouldn’t be averse to the term ‘superstar’ being banded about.

As for the wider subject of the thread, the achievements of Monkerhostin make astounding reading for a horse who seems to be treated as just another handicapper these days. He’s won a Rendlesham, a Coral Cup, a Boylesports, a Haldon Gold Cup and a Whitbread, placed in the Tote Gold Trophy, Paddy Power (twice), Ascot Hurdle, Peterborough Chase and King George as well as finishing fourth in the 2007 Gold Cup.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.