The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Last Night

Home Forums Memorials The Last Night

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jane of Herts
    Participant
    • Total Posts 110

Took a crashing fall at the fence in front of the stands at Kempton; demonstrated all the signs of a broken neck.

I couldn’t believe he was still alive following a very similar fall at Huntingdon earlier this month. I was convinced he was no longer with us after that one, I even checked back earlier this afternoon to see if I’d remembered him as that particular horse.

His luck ran out today and he is confirmed as dead. With his record during his most recent runs, surely his steeplechasing career should have been re-evaluated.

RIP The Last Night, poor lad. :-(

linnet
    Participant
    • Total Posts 101

Very sad end to a lovely horse. RIP

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Really, really awful fall – you knew he’d gone as soon as he fell. Made worse, somehow, by being right in front of the stands.

Rest easy.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

I also thought he was dead at Huntingdon. Why don`t get horses a break from their connections after such a crunching fall??? If they were their children I bet they would treat them differently.Anyway, as good as Emma Lavelle might be as a trainer, some of her horses are very poor and pathetic jumpers. Including this one.
    Nomatter what Animal Rights Groups might say, it is fact that this death was very very bad for the sport and there are no excuses to be made.
    I`m just waiting for that crap to come like "…horses are treated like kings! Bla Bla Bla"
    Trainers and connections sometimes lack the brains for this sport.
    Rest in Peace The Last Night

Good piece of commentating by John Hunt thought, who realised what happened and kept his voice low even in the closing stages since there was not much to cheer about.

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

RubyLight – surprisingly I agree with some of what you have to say.

My heart breaks for this horse.

No opinions on War Kitty?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Yeah, you’re talking sense for sure RubyLight. With respect to the horse, The Last Night clearly had no idea what he was doing. Even at the first two fences before his fatal fall, he was launching and not making a good shape. Horses who play up in the stalls get stalls tested and atrocious jumpers should have some sort of ‘jumps test’ with an expert in a safe environment.

That was one of the worst falls I’ve seen since Wishbone came down in the Scottish National years ago – just awful.

RIP

Participant
    • Total Posts 67

What a sickening fall! Almost identical at Huntington and Stratford aswell. Connections should be ashamed.

RIP The Last Night

RubyLight
    • Total Posts 320

After that dreadful fall at Huntingdon when the horse was lying on the floor and kicking its legs, who took the decision that it was fit and healthy enough to run again over fences just 14 days later at such a high quality track as Kempton?
    Surely there is the possibility of a confidence booster over hurdles or at an easier track. But why Kempton and why so quick?
    Checked once again the trainer`s website and no mention in the news yet. Maybe just because they don`t update it too often.
    Nevertheless it would be quite interesting to know what the connections were/are thinking.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.