The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Home Forums Horse Racing The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1800

i do find it hard to feel sorry for someone who can afford to spend and does spend a third of a mill on an average flat horse

it doesn’t look like it could make any money now unless some touches can be landed – good luck to the owner/s

down to pittsburgh to save my weekend now, again :roll:

PhilP
    • Total Posts 6

I was at Huntingdon yesterday partly to see TGB in the flesh. He’s certainly a very good looking animal and for that reason alone gets plenty of support from casual punters – he started at around 7/4 at the course.

He didn’t run at all convincingly though he did make up a lot of ground on the leaders from 3 out – Richard Johnson had left him plenty to do.

He hit the last really hard – a splinter of wood flew at least 50 feet in the air – and slowed considerably after that. He did not appear in the winner’s enclosure afterwards so I assume he hurt himself – hopefully not too badly.

I would think a return to the flat would be on the cards.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Richard Johnson has just said on ATR that the horse injured himself jumping the last.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3443

I was at Huntingdon yesterday partly to see TGB in the flesh. He’s certainly a very good looking animal and for that reason alone gets plenty of support from casual punters – he started at around 7/4 at the course.

He didn’t run at all convincingly though he did make up a lot of ground on the leaders from 3 out – Richard Johnson had left him plenty to do.

He hit the last really hard – a splinter of wood flew at least 50 feet in the air – and slowed considerably after that. He did not appear in the winner’s enclosure afterwards so I assume he hurt himself – hopefully not too badly.

I would think a return to the flat would be on the cards.

Well spotted PhilP although I don’t think he’ll be appearing anywhere in the near future, Johnson said he was badly injured at the last.

PhilP
    • Total Posts 6

Well spotted PhilP although I don’t think he’ll be appearing anywhere in the near future, Johnson said he was badly injured at the last.

That’s a shame as he was pretty much perfect physically – the horse not RJ!

I hope they have good insurance cover £1/3M is a lot to lose.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

Welcome to TRF, PhilP. 8)

Colin

Participant
    • Total Posts 3443

Sadly The Grey Berry put down, at least they should get his full value back through the insurance.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

That’s sad news………..he had looked such a progressive young horse on the flat.

Colin

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 220

Very sad news indeed. Yeats, if by "full value" you mean the absurd sum that the owner payed for him at the sales then no, that’s not the way equine insurance works. The insurers will have the an independent valuation carried out based on recent form, BHB rating, etc. and make their offer accordingly. There are mechanisms by which the owner can challenge this if unsatisfied, but that will incur extra costs as lawyers get involved. Either way, I’m afraid that the owner of The Grey Berry will end up out of pocket in a big way.

• Total Posts 2440

That’s a real shame.

RIP The Grey Berry.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3443

Very sad news indeed. Yeats, if by "full value" you mean the absurd sum that the owner payed for him at the sales then no, that’s not the way equine insurance works. The insurers will have the an independent valuation carried out based on recent form, BHB rating, etc. and make their offer accordingly. There are mechanisms by which the owner can challenge this if unsatisfied, but that will incur extra costs as lawyers get involved. Either way, I’m afraid that the owner of The Grey Berry will end up out of pocket in a big way.

My understanding of it from experience highflyer1 is that it’s value was 340,000 and there would be nothing to stop his owners from insuring him for that amount. Whether you would want to insure a jumper for that amount is debatable as the premiums would be very high, I think we would be talking in terms of excess of 10%.
    We can all have an opinion on what a horses value is but it’s value is what someone’s prepared to pay.
    Hard Top went through the ring for only 33 grand a few weeks ago after being valued at up to 200 grand by some judges, maybe he’s got problems but he still won a 60 grand race in Dubai last week.

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 220

Ok Yeats. I was talking from the perspective of my own personal experience and the situation which I believe would apply in 95% of equine insurance cases. Quite a few years ago I was involved in a horse which cost us £60k at the sales. The horse only had 3 runs in novice hurdles, received a rating of 101, and sadly was killed on the gallops. The insurers offered us £25k, based on his form, potential, etc., They used a firm of independent valuers to arrive at that figure, and it was basically take it or leave it. Despite the fact that we put our "valuation" of the horse as £60k in the application and thought we were insuring him for that amount, we had little choice but to accept. I’ve spoken to several owners since who have had a similar experience.

Of course it should be possible to find an insurer who would offer insurance to the sum of £340,000, in the same way that a concert pianist can insure his hands for £1m, but this would not be the standard form of equine insurance and, as you say, the premiums would make anybody think twice.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Highflyer,
    If the horse was insured (and with the NH rate of insurance around 10% you couldn’t be sure), it is almost certain to have been insured for the purchase price.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

I am more concerned with the death of the horse than any insurance payout the owners may get. I am much too sentimental, I appreciate that!

If you have that sort of money to spend on a horse they can’t be doing too badly.

Colin

ratcliff
    • Total Posts 18

Ok Yeats. I was talking from the perspective of my own personal experience and the situation which I believe would apply in 95% of equine insurance cases. Quite a few years ago I was involved in a horse which cost us £60k at the sales. The horse only had 3 runs in novice hurdles, received a rating of 101, and sadly was killed on the gallops. The insurers offered us £25k, based on his form, potential, etc., They used a firm of independent valuers to arrive at that figure, and it was basically take it or leave it. Despite the fact that we put our "valuation" of the horse as £60k in the application and thought we were insuring him for that amount, we had little choice but to accept. I’ve spoken to several owners since who have had a similar experience.

[b:6oeqomr7]It has been our experience also[/b:6oeqomr7][/color:6oeqomr7]

It was ”take it or leave it” attitude

Of course it should be possible to find an insurer who would offer insurance to the sum of £340,000, in the same way that a concert pianist can insure his hands for £1m, but this would not be the standard form of equine insurance and, as you say, the premiums would make anybody think twice.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Geezuz what a disaster just been a nightmare from the word go ………a few of us said he din’t look happy hurdling and should be put away for the flat…….feel like **** having said that now last thing the trainer or owner would have wanted was for this to happen:cry:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Very Sad, I took a bit of a shine to the horse and was looking forward to him running over hurdles, backed him antepost for the triumph too. Think something went wrong with him back in january as all thats when the market money for him dried up, he’d been supported until then. Was a decent honest little horse on the flat and regardless of the price that was paid for him its the loss of a decent little horse. RIP TGB

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.