The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Home Forums Horse Racing The Grey Berry – 340,000 gns

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

He was a bit edgy as they walked on to the track, dave, but given that the entire field had been circling the parade ring for around 40 minutes I would forgive any signs of temperament.

The pace wasn’t what you might call brisk, but The Grey Berry was restrained at the back of the field, sometimes detached by a couple of lengths, and never given a chance to work himself into the race.

There is the possibility that he didn’t get home on the ground, but I’d put today’s performance down to the preliminaries, the ride and his jumping.

I am trying to keep calm here :lol:

Good horses don’t get beat out of sight in races like that.
    For once I agree with Smithy put him away for the flat and forget hurdling. They don’t they could sour the horse. Wasn’t impressive in that 1500 quid race and not many thought he was.

Just as a comparison what price would Binocular or Fanchoek have been for that race today? 4/9 fav and would have probaly won easier than he did at Ascot. Horse started at 15/8 because they suspected he wasn’t up to it.

When Hobbs ran him in a 1500 quid race I was very suspicious and now the beans have been spilled. The owner paid way too much money for him he’s not going to be any good over hurdles…at least not a good enough for them to bother running him……**** happens.No sense in making excuses for him mate, he’s a fair flat horse and will win more than his fair share of races.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I think he should have at least been able to get into contention today, he was pulling hard at the bit early today, which he did last time, and that makes it hard to assess if hes playing up or not, but the pace was sedate enough and dont think he didnt stay, thought he looked really unhappy today and just looked in trouble early on, before the tempo was even raised.

He has the class to bounce back in spades but theres got to be a big question about his current wellbeing, especially the way he looked to plug on empty after the 3rd last.

Do you think he looked well today LGR?

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I thought he looked well enough in himself, Bulwark, but it’s always extremely difficult to tell with grey horses. The only worry I had was the temperament he showed as they made their way on to the course, but given the delays I’m prepared to mark it down as a one-off.

I can’t imagine that the ground caused him to travel badly, or jump like a boar with no knees, but it is a possibility. Factor in the quality of the ride (in my view at least), the time spent in the parade ring and the pace of the race and, whilst disappointing, it’s form I have no hesitation in dismissing.

If we were to take it as a sign that The Grey Berry just isn’t cut out for hurdling, then the effort of Norman The Great has to temper enthusiasm in Binocular’s Triumph prospects also. As it is I would just like to see what Hobbs has to say about the run, and if they take him out of the Triumph.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Fair one, I’ll be waiting on seeing him out at a better price as hes definitely a smart horse and deserves a second chance but todays run has just baffled me

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Good news for us Franchoek backers!!!

King confirms Franchoek for the Triumph Hurdle

by Racing Post staff

ALAN KING has quashed suggestions that JCB Triumph Hurdle favourite Franchoek will sidestep the race in favour of another target at the Cheltenham Festival.

The JP McManus-owned four-year-old features in some bookmakers’ lists for the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle and the Ballymore Properties Novices’ Hurdle.

Although McManus appears to have another string to his bow for the juvenile crown in Binocular, King confirmed Franchoek to be still on course for the Triumph.
    "I spoke to Frank Berry (McManus’ racing manager) this morning (Thursday) and he told me to aim him at the Triumph and until I’m told otherwise, I will to continue to aim at it," said the Barbury Castle handler.

"We’ve had a great record in the race and at the moment that is where Franchoek is going. What you see with him is what you get. He has a great attitude towards his jumping, he’s had plenty of match practice and I think that is pretty important as well in the Triumph. "He sets the standard," King told At The Races.

Franchoek is 11-4 for the Triumph Hurdle with Blue Square and Paddy Power.

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I personally cannot see anything coming near Franchoek in the Triump hurdle except maybe for Harper Valley.

Agreed. I’m beginning to think that Harper Valley’s win over Franchoek wasn’t all that it seems.

Franchoek looked a lot better in his two races after that race which suggests that it wasn’t ‘the real him’ in that race or he’s improved massively. The way that Harper Valley was soon sold after that race (and was pulled up) makes me suspect the former though, and the trainer decided to take advantage before everyone realises.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

It’s the ‘until I’m told otherwise’ that would worry me, GD :wink:

He’s currently 10/1 for the Supreme, and 11/4 for the Triumph, and I wouldn’t put it past McManus to change his mind and have a crack at the former. Just looking at the markets, 5 firms introduced Franchoek into their Supreme betting today…

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

I guess Binocular’s run at Kempton in a fortnight will tell us more.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Well Mcmanus’s No1 Supreme Novice candidate Captain Cee Bee runs on sunday, a week off target and on ground that probably wont suit, mcmanus has two very good juv novices sat there. You’d have to be hoping the captain goes well :wink: .

I think ive found the most overpriced horse in the triumph market though, below is a quote from before he ran on sunday and i honestly think he went well in a really scrappy race against better expienced rivals.

ON THE MOVE
    Lowdown on horses having their first run for a new trainer
    Published: 03/02/2008 (Sport)
    IT’S late in the day for a JCB Triumph Hurdle hope to be making his debut over hurdles, but Cheltenham aspirations are still held for Tamimi’s History, who starts a new chapter of his life in Musselburgh’s version of the Triumph.
    Although successful in only two of his nine Flat starts, Tamimi’s History holds a Turf Club rating of 100. Last seen in action at Galway in August, the former Kevin Prendergast inmate has his first run since joining Nicky Richards.
    "He’s not a bad sort and had decent form on the Flat, which is why we bought him," said Richards.
    "It’s a big ask for his first run over hurdles, but I didn’t see much point in him winning a maiden hurdle with his head in his chest. His schooling has been fine but the experience will do him good.
    "Any juvenile who you buy like him is bought with the Triumph in mind, and I hope to give him one or maybe two more runs before Cheltenham."

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I have a lot of time for Nicky Richards as a trainer he’s a chip of the old man’s block but I think he’s aiming at the stars in the hope of hitting a cloud with this one. Or simply pulling the owner’s chain to keep him happy

That race at Mussleburgh was the sort of race he should have won with his head in his chest if he is going to be any sort of threat at Cheltenham.

There would be no chance of Peter Montieth sending his within 100 miles of Cheltenham and the best horse in the race ran badly and was pulled up.

I wouldn’t put you off backing him but it wouldn’t be before he showed some worthwhile form. If Nicky thought he had a real chance with the amount of owners he has that like a punt would be anywhere near 50/1 so late in the day?

You said yourself Money Trix was backed in the market prior to the bigger bets going on him after he ran but there hasn’t been 20 p for this horse.

BTW Money Trix won’t run at Cheltenham and I have no idea why he is still in the betting

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Yeah money trix not running cheltenham, gutted, thats two blows to my anteposters this week. Really liked him too…

There was a bit of a gamble on tamimis history the other day, not a great gamble 33s into 25s, but one all the same, the bookies pulled him out to 50s again after as they mustn’t have been impressed. I thought it was a strange race, most of the horses were all experienced except tamimis and it looked like they went a snails pace for the first half, and then upped the tempo too soon, so most of the others looked tired and all made mistakes over the last few fences and the winner never went with the rest and came late under a good graham lee ride, TH for a hurdling debut ran quite well though and was probably the only one that made no serious mistakes (if any at all), which is good, as he looks to have taken to hurdling if he can get back up to his flat form then he’s right in the mix for the triumph at 50s.

• Total Posts 1800

last chance today ?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

The Grey Berry and Taminis History both due to run.
    If The Grey Berry can’t win off this mark then he is really going to struggle to make the grade over hurdles although the runner up at Southwell did boost the form by winning at Plumpton on Monday.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I was amazed to see him entered up again after last time.

The owner was nuts as many of us said at the time for paying so much for him.

I am hoping it’s Phillip Hobbs who has suggested running him and not his owner insisting.

If ever a horse had to win a race it’s today. PH’s horses are in excellent form, the race is crap and if he is anything near as good as some people on here said he is he must be a nailed on certainty. 2/1 ain’t so bad either.

After 1 faller 1 unseated rider and 1 pulled from 3 bets yesterday I’ll just put this down to a crazy mad weekend and take the plunge in an efffort to clear my feet.

Probably the daftest thing I’ve done in the last 3 season which I am blaming you Grey Berry fans for :lol:

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

TGB, Tamimis Hitsory and binocular were all similar horses on the flat, similarly rated over similar distances. TGB has been a bit of a disappointment over hurdles thus far, and I expect he’s being tested to see if theres any hope for him before going back to the flat.
    Tamimis History has had more non runners to his name than enough. Hes the second Nicky Richards horse Ive followed this season (Money Trix was the other) and he seems to love seeing his initials up next to his horses names in the betting shops. TH was entered for a better race yesterday and pulled out, he was also entered in the grade2 at kelso yesterday mid-week, so todays entry isnt a great sign of confidence in his progess
    I’ll back the two low stakes in a double today and hope for the best.

• Total Posts 1800

2/1 does seem okay and for similar reasons will follow in on it as well. it has to win really, if it doesn’t and just proves itself to be another 110 rated plodder it will be a shocking spend of a third of a million. no point in sending it back on the flat as its chances of recouping its training fees each season must be limited. it just has to make the grade as a decent jumper or a quiet retirement should beckon, imo

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Well at least he finished the course which is a big improvment on my form.

He’s beaten himself again with real novicy jumping he must either hate it or is a bit of a slow learner……..someone thought he had a big future in this game……….someone was very wrong :cry: feel for the owner who must be a very unhappy person.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.